“Small, but interesting, if a bit overpriced.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Carolinas Aviation Museum
Ranked #9 of 173 things to do in Charlotte
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Small, but interesting, if a bit overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were visiting relatives in the Statesville area and decided to visit the museum on a rainy day. The museum is very small, so if you're expecting something like the National Air and Space Museum you'll be disappointed. Plan to spend 1-2 hours here. We were there 2 hours and that was ample time to view and read about all the planes on display. We enjoyed learning more about the "Miracle on the Hudson" US Airways plane and Captain Sully, which is the museum's prime display. There were several planes outside, but you have to view them through a chain-link fence. It was $12 for myself, $10 for my elderly step-father and $8 for my 12 year old plus 7.25% tax, so it is a bit overpriced for what it is. We went during the week and there were only a couple other people there. We had a couple of days of rain, so it was nice to get out of the house and do something, but there is no need to visit again.

• Hebrew first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great museum. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to the aviation museum while driving through Charlotte. The individuals working were very informative and all the exhibits were very cool. The miracle on the Hudson was extremely well done and very interesting. Individuals who are complaining about the price must not understand the amount of money it takes to transport these large planes and the price it is to keep such a museum maintained. Many of the individuals who work there are volunteers and do not get paid. For my husband and I it was $20 not unreasonable
at all.

St. Augustine, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Nice Museum...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Carolinas Aviation Museum is something that you have to look for to find. It's located at the Charlotte airport, adjacent to the Air National Guard.

I arrived right at 10:00am, just as the museum opened. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Admission is normally $12.00 but, being retired military, my admission was $9.00. They also give discounts to seniors and active duty military personnel.

Being a photographer, I was delighted to learn that they permit the use of tripods. This was key, because the interior portion of the museum is very dimly lit.

The interior of the museum (they have static displays outside) contained everything from a replica of the Wright Brother's Kitty Hawk flyer to the US Airways A320 that landed on the Hudson River.in January 2009. While not as extensive as the displays you might find at the San Diego Aerospace Museum or the National Air & Space Museum, it does contain a collection which, aside from the aforementioned planes, includes fighter jets, helicopters and trainers.

The outside display was mildly disappointing. For whatever reason, photography was not permitted until the docent got done talking about all of the outside displays, and then it was difficult not to feel rushed. While we were able to get close to a C-130, a DC-7 and a DC-9, but the planes that everyone really wanted to see, two Air Force fighter jets and some super-sonic weapons delivery system, were off in the distance, and we weren't allowed to get anywhere near them. The reason given was that it was an "active TSA ramp". I guess that's true, but we were already outside. That's really my only criticism.

One of the nice "extras" during my visit was being able to speak with Beverly Waters, who was in seat 21E when flight 1549 went into the Hudson. She told a riveting story, and it was almost surreal to see her pointing out her boots, hat and scarf which are now in a display case, on permanent display in the museum.

My visit was a total of three hours, but it was probably longer than most since I was taking photos the entire time. Without shooting, I suspect I would've been done in about two hours.

All things considered, this was a very enjoyable visit and, if you find yourself able to spend a couple hours meandering around some cool old airplanes, I recommend it...

1 Thank SteveParr
Marlton, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Limited displays and understaffed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

The museum has been in operation for quite awhile but still has that just getting started feel about it. Very few aircraft on display and with not enough staff on duty, interior tours were not possible for the few that were there. It is a bit pricey for what you actually get and you have to love the donation jar prominently displayed in the over priced gift shop. The best part of the museum was seeing the remains of US Air flight 1549. This was the only reason I visited. As for a return visit, I think not.

1 Thank luv2travel1959
Santa Clara, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very Cool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We live just north of NYC in Westchester County, so this place was on our "must-see" list on our recent visit to Charlotte. We really wanted to see the Miracle on the Hudson plane. We were pleasantly surprised to find the other offerings by the museum were equally as interesting! We were lucky enough to catch a tour led by a well-informed docent of the planes outside on the tarmac. Lots of cool interactive stuff like being able to sit in cockpits, etc...Loved the exhibit they've created around Sully's plane - showing documentaries, having artifacts from the plane...it was all very, very cool. All the volunteers were knowledgeable, and friendly. After hearing how this museum started from such humble beginnings, I'm glad that they have the Miracle on the Hudson plane and new support from the Smithsonian to keep it going for years to come. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here! Highly recommended.

1 Thank NY4092