“I thought it would be a pleasant surprise for my husband's birthday, but I was wrong.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of EpiCentre Theaters

EpiCentre Theaters
Ranked #9 of 47 Fun & Games in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We went to Studio Movie Grill for my husband's birthday. I was hoping to surprise him with a nice dinner and a movie but it wasn't what I hopes it to be. We entered on the 2nd level by the bar, but it was an act of congress to find someone to ask where to find the ticket box. Then, the 10:30 movie was sold out so we chose the 11pm showing unfortunately we had to wait in the crowded lobby. Since it was so long, we decided to get an appetizer and drink while we waited. The hurricane was disgusting and the food was decent at best. The actual movie theatre was nice but the dinner was terrible and the staff was less than helpful. We wouldn't go back and I recommend skipping this to everyone else planning a trip here.

1 Thank Ceciliy F

North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Info for First Timers, Nice Place for a Movie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is now called Studio Movie Grill. With a Groupon, we essentially got two tickets for the price of one, which was what got us in the door.

If it's your first time, you want to go to the 2nd level to pick up your tickets. The elevator directories for the Epicenter just say Studio Movie Grill, 2nd & 3rd levels. We wandered in to the 3rd level, and there were no signs or info to direct you where to go for tickets. We had to flag down an employee to ask & saw several other first timers do this too.

There are kiosks to pick up your tickets - but if you want to get your parking validated [we got 4 hours of validated time] you have to go through the box office line anyway. So I'd suggest getting there early & going through the line.

Online ticketing is nice, though there's a fee. But purchasing online lets you pick the seats you want & that was worth the extra buck or two. There's a section with 2 seats together & section with 4 seats together, which is nice so you can pick for date night or family night. Seats are big & really comfortable with a good amount of leg room. Each seat has a table to sit your food & drink on. There are buttons to ring for a server before or during the film. We saw a 3D movie and the picture quality was awesome!

The only reason this doesn't get a 5 rating was the food. While prices for food & drinks were fair - basically equivalent to what you'd pay at any mid-range bar - the food itself wasn't too good. That appears to be a common experience. I'll admit that service was a little bit slow - but I didn't downgrade the score for that because everyone ordered at the same time (right when the movie started) and the servers were working in the dark. Under those circumstances, I think they did okay.

I really enjoyed the overall movie experience & we'll be back the next time it's on Groupon or we want a special date night. I would recommend going for the great movie experience & having a drink or two - but I'd plan to have dinner elsewhere!

Jacksonville, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Enjoyeable first time at SMG (Studio Movie Grille) at EpiCenter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our first time at EpiCentre Theaters, now called SMG (Studio Movie Grille) at EpiCentre in Uptown, Charlotte, NC. We love the concept and this was a great first time visit. We used a Groupon for the tickets and selected our movie and seats online, before the actual date of the showing, which is what I would recommend. The service was very good and now we have an expectation the next time we see another movie there. There is a wide variety of foods to choose from, including appetizers, entrees, and even popcorn. You also have a wide choice of non-alcoholic, as well as alcoholic beverages. Very cool theater with a nice atmosphere.

Charlotte, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Loved the theater and the ability to have dinner and drinks in the movie. We were in theater 4 watching Ironman and the sound kept going out and they had to keep stopping it and rewinding it back 5 minutes. Manager was very sorry about it and he passed out free passes to everyone.

Visited May 2013
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Wouldn't go again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The food was horrible, the server(s) kept getting confused on who the orders belonged to. Several times they passed our plates to other since they were at the other end of the row or on the opposite row. Eventually they found us but it was annoying having to constantly keep an eye out for a server to make sure we received our food. The chicken nachos barely had any chicken on it, they were cold and just not good. My son's order was wrong but I couldn't be bothered to get them to correct it as it would have probably taken too long. My son ordered lemonade and got sierra mist and it took them forever to clear the plates.

Visited May 2013