“long live the queen”

Neighborhood: Dilworth
Charlotte, North Carolina
“long live the queen”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a neat little pub. The menu contains several classic English dishes that sound great, but I went for the British BLT, which was made with flaccid, country-ham-like English bacon instead of the thin, crispy strips we all know and love. The house-made chips were properly crunchy and flavorful. My boyfriend got chicken wings, and while he seemed to enjoy them, he most definitely liked his beer more. My takeaway from eating at this restaurant: English bacon can't compare to its American counterpart.

• Visited October 2013

Wilmington, North Carolina
“extensive menu but no train”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Big Ben can be a little tricky to find if you don't know the neighborhood. It's part of the Afton Mill complex at 2000 South Blvd. Earlier reviewers have mentioned the light rail station in the parking lot, and that was one of the things that attracted us to this destination. We wanted an early dinner, then a trip by rail to the Blumenthal Theatre. Unfortunately this train station (Tremont station) is no longer open. There are two other stations a couple of blocks in either direction.

We enjoyed an appetizer plate of cheddar, pickles, crackers, and a couple of spreads along with good brown bread, warm from the oven. The shepherd's pie was a big hit, as was the fish fry. Liver with bacon and onions and mashed potatoes was good. The chicken curry not so great, not much chicken, but nice and spicy.

Good atmosphere, easy parking, good service and a generous, reasonably priced menu.

• Visited August 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
“Great British food!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had fish and chips in London and I have to say, this was almost as good as being there! The food was great and the service was spot on. I had the Fish and Chips with a side of Bubble and Squeek. No peas in the Bubble and the chips were devine! My friend had the breakfast, which they serve till 2 p.m., and it was great. Bristish bacon (not bad) and Bangers along with several other items. The atmosphere was very British Pub like and I can see how it would be a good place to hang out and listen to a band at night. In all, great food, great service, great expereince!

• Visited August 2013
“Nice late lunch”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stopped in here for a late lunch recently.
Was pleasantly surprised.
Sat outside and had the fish and chips with a draft.
Fish was very good, cooked perfectly.
Light rail stop in the parking lot.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tennn
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Fish and Chips with a Wally”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I know Fish and Chips. At least I thought I knew Fish and Chips. Big Ben British Pub and Restaurant showed me there is another fish and chips and this one is light and delicious. We were accompanied by friends and were lucky to get a seat for four on a Friday night. The restaurant and pub were jumping. In fact, the group in the pub, just next to our table were very loud and excited. All well and good.

Fact is, the restaurant offers a three course meal deal and that would have been the way to go, except when you see the size of the fish going by you may change your mind---it's enormous. We went with the Fish and Chips, I had a Guinness to start and it tasted very different from the bottled Guinness I am used to, this Guinness was dark, rich with a good head of foam, and full of flavor. Very drinkable.

When it arrived the fish, as seen before, was the size of a small plank with a generous helping of fries, cole slaw and a wally (pickle). The breading on the fish was light, and didn't inhibit the taste of the fish. The fish was flaky, flavorful and with the chips, cole slaw and wally, made me very happy to be there.

We worked on our entree and sipped Guinness, and because our companions chose the three course offering and didn't want the dessert, we were offered the Pub's bread pudding. That was a real treat. It was way beyond the bread puddings I'd had in the past---and not overly sweet---it was perfect.

All in all, you may think a British pub isn't your kind of place, particularly in Charlotte, but if you go to Big Ben for only the fish and chips you will not be disappointed. You will be delighted.

• Visited February 2013