“Soft bed with a Ghetto Vibe”

TownePlace Suites Charlotte University Research Park
Ranked #98 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
New York City, New York
“Soft bed with a Ghetto Vibe”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Walked in the check-in area where a couple of older gentlemen were hanging out with a strong smell of beer on their breath. It was at this time I noticed the beer for sale in the refrigerator of the lobby. Makes sense, they sell it, they drink it, no big deal. The gentleman behind the check-in counter asked twice if I understood the pet rules. My confirmation of understanding was obviously not as nice as the first acknowledgement. He conveniently waived the pet fee due to my platinum status and having another room at a different Marriott for the same night with already paying a pet fee.

There were several young gentlemen, late teens to 20s, hanging out in the parking lot, hallways and stairways between 10pm and 2am in the morning. Some were polite and smiled; others were nonverbal and could have been confused for stare down artist practicing for competition.

The room was clean but the walls were really thin. You could easily hear next door and hallway traffic.

One of the guests spoke of gang presence but while unusual I felt safe. Understandably others would not feel this Marriott resembles the standard from this brand but rather a cheaper knockoff. I won’t be staying here again because of the thin walls but the overall feel was not you normal Marriott vibe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
jason u, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Charlotte University Research Park, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the TownePlace Suites by Marriott. We rely very heavily on our guests feedback in order to improve. I have shared your comments with our staff for the purpose of emphasizing the importance of our guests feeling welcome and safe. The safety and security of our guests is our utmost concern. When you have a moment I would like to speak to you personally. I can be reached at (704) 548 - 0388. Thank you again.

Jason Urschel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I moved over to this property from the Springhill Suites across the parking lot while spending a couple weeks in Charlotte starting a new job and house-hunting. The Springhill is fancier, but I found this place to generally be better for an extended stay. Unlike the Springhill, these rooms have full kitchens (stove/oven, microwave, real fridge w/freezer, dishwasher) with utensils and plates and some pots and pans. The room was well laid-out with a queen bed, sofa, brand-new flat-screen TV (about a 30"), desk, and chair. The bathroom was apparently set up for someone in a wheelchair (which I didn't ask for) and was immense. Housekeeping did a good job with cleaning. The Internet was much better than at the Springhill--despite both being Marriott hotels, the Towneplace had a different Internet provider and it was 15x faster than the Springhill's barely-dial-up speed. I had no trouble actually working out of the hotel room for several days connected to my employer's VPN. The staff is awesome, very friendly and helpful.

Stuff to watch for...it's not a very fancy place, don't come in expecting five stars. Everything worked in my room and I had no real complaints but it's definitely not the Ritz. I saw very few other business travelers while I was there and the crowd of guests looked surprisingly rough; honestly, it looked like a few people might've actually been living there long-term, I'm not sure. The small outdoor pool area tended to be crowded with a mix of families (again, who looked like they had been there a while) and adults drinking beer. The location is good if you have business at UNCC, University Research Park, or Concord Mills/Charlotte Motor Speedway (if you can't get anything closer) but you will be 30 minutes from Uptown, more at rush hour, so look closer to town if you need to do much in Charlotte proper. There are also not a lot of supermarkets in the area if you want to stock up on your own food, but restaurants are plentiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently with my husband while he was working in the area. The reviews had not been good lately and was a little concerned but it is where his company put him up.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was on the first floor but did not have any issues with outside noise. The room was cleaned daily and cleaned well. It was really nice to have a small kitchen. It was all in working order except the stove only had 2 working eyes but that was all I needed (that's about all I use at home anyway). There was basic kitchenware. I had everything I needed to prepare simple evening meals.

The closet was big with plenty of hangers and iron/ironing board.
The desk area was really nice and had lots of storage space.
The tv was flat screen.
The bed was on the softer side but with medium firmness. I liked the comforter and lightweight cover on the bed. I prefer those to the "slick" bedspreads.
The pillows were flat feather pillows, if not to your liking try to bring your own, which is what I did.

The laundry room was a plus, as well as the breakfast provided. The breakfast was basic... cereal, yogurt, make your own waffles, microwave sausage biscuits, etc.

The fitness room had 2 treadmills, 1 bike, 1 stair=stepper, and a few handweights. The tv was tricky to use.

I really liked the location. Shopping was convenient and very easy to get to. There is a Harris Teeter and Rite-aid in one direction and a Sam's Club, Wal-Mart in the other. Shopping and restaurants were no more than 5-10 minutes away.

Concord Mills was 4.6 miles away according to my navigation system and it did not guide me on the interstate but a nice relaxing, scenic route.

We have never stayed in a Townplace before but would not hesitate to stay here again at this location and will look for others as well.

Room Tip: A studio is adequate for a couple but would advise to get a one or two bedroom for more than two.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
cleveland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel itself was okay (and I really mean just okay)...not at all what you would expect from a name like Marriott. The room was in need of updating. But we could have lived with that. What we could not live with was the "elements" in the hotel. When we first arrived, my husband told my teenage son and me not to go outside to walk the dog or for any other reason because the appearance and the conversation of the people hanging out in the parking lot made him feel uncomfortable. In fact, he would remove his jewelry whenever he had to go out. No big deal...we were there only for one night and would simply stay inside. But at about 5:00 in the morning we were awakened to the sound of two men in the room next to ours arguing and fighting each other. (The walls in the hotel room were extremely thin!) The arguing was so intense that I literally got down on the floor for fear that bullets might start flying next door. And that was before they actually starting physically fighting! After about 45 minutes of listening to this and fearing for our family's safety, my husband and I just collected our kids and checked out. My husband had barely slept and he had a 4 hour drive ahead of him, but we sim ply could not stay there another minute. Before we left, my husband called the front desk to report the fighting next door, no manager was available and the front desk clerk did not seem inclined to do anything about the problem. When we checked out early my husband told the desk clerk our reason for doing so. The clerk said that the manager would contact us, but no one ever did. I would never ever ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rdtrpr_12
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Being a frequent traveler, I stay at TownPlace Suites all over the country. This property is old in terms of TownPlace's. (I'm guessing it's a converted property?) Older carpeting.. older TV's etc... Bathroom fixtures & tiling looked dated...

Being there for the weekend.. It was ok. I often have long term stays.(Avg 5+ days) I would not have stayed here long term. There was weed smoking in the parking lot.... EACH NIGHT. Loud music in trucks & cars at night. If felt more like So Central LA than an extended stay hotel in NC.

The staff was GREAT!!!!!! Breakfast was typical. Ended a little early but the hostess was REALLY nice.

Location was great. Less than 5 mins from 85. Close to a few strip malls & restaurants.

May stay again..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have never stayed in this type of hotel but from now on this will be it. We had two bedrooms, a sitting area, and a kitchen, not that we needed a kitchen, but it was a nice touch just the same. The staff couldn't be nicer, very helpful.
Nice clean rooms, no smells, housekeeping very reliable.
Very accessible to I-85. Lots of places to eat close by. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I chose this hotel because I had to work in the office/industrial park across the street.

The staff was incredibly nice and helpful...very genuine and friendly.

Without a car, it's not easy to get anywhere around here, as it's a very suburban location. Although the mall is close (as is the office park), there aren't sidewalks to get around on. Apparently, there are bus stops which are very close by though, that will take you to downtown Charlotte.

The rooms were great (mine was huge) and the pool was nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business