“Feared for our safety!”

TownePlace Suites Charlotte University Research Park
Ranked #105 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel itself was okay (and I really mean just okay)...not at all what you would expect from a name like Marriott. The room was in need of updating. But we could have lived with that. What we could not live with was the "elements" in the hotel. When we first arrived, my husband told my teenage son and me not to go outside to walk the dog or for any other reason because the appearance and the conversation of the people hanging out in the parking lot made him feel uncomfortable. In fact, he would remove his jewelry whenever he had to go out. No big deal...we were there only for one night and would simply stay inside. But at about 5:00 in the morning we were awakened to the sound of two men in the room next to ours arguing and fighting each other. (The walls in the hotel room were extremely thin!) The arguing was so intense that I literally got down on the floor for fear that bullets might start flying next door. And that was before they actually starting physically fighting! After about 45 minutes of listening to this and fearing for our family's safety, my husband and I just collected our kids and checked out. My husband had barely slept and he had a 4 hour drive ahead of him, but we sim ply could not stay there another minute. Before we left, my husband called the front desk to report the fighting next door, no manager was available and the front desk clerk did not seem inclined to do anything about the problem. When we checked out early my husband told the desk clerk our reason for doing so. The clerk said that the manager would contact us, but no one ever did. I would never ever ever stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank rdtrpr_12

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Being a frequent traveler, I stay at TownPlace Suites all over the country. This property is old in terms of TownPlace's. (I'm guessing it's a converted property?) Older carpeting.. older TV's etc... Bathroom fixtures & tiling looked dated...

Being there for the weekend.. It was ok. I often have long term stays.(Avg 5+ days) I would not have stayed here long term. There was weed smoking in the parking lot.... EACH NIGHT. Loud music in trucks & cars at night. If felt more like So Central LA than an extended stay hotel in NC.

The staff was GREAT!!!!!! Breakfast was typical. Ended a little early but the hostess was REALLY nice.

Location was great. Less than 5 mins from 85. Close to a few strip malls & restaurants.

May stay again..

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have never stayed in this type of hotel but from now on this will be it. We had two bedrooms, a sitting area, and a kitchen, not that we needed a kitchen, but it was a nice touch just the same. The staff couldn't be nicer, very helpful.
Nice clean rooms, no smells, housekeeping very reliable.
Very accessible to I-85. Lots of places to eat close by. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I chose this hotel because I had to work in the office/industrial park across the street.

The staff was incredibly nice and helpful...very genuine and friendly.

Without a car, it's not easy to get anywhere around here, as it's a very suburban location. Although the mall is close (as is the office park), there aren't sidewalks to get around on. Apparently, there are bus stops which are very close by though, that will take you to downtown Charlotte.

The rooms were great (mine was huge) and the pool was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I only spent one night here as a pass through so i don't have much to say. In short the hotel was not located nearby downtown Charlotte but i remember driving by and seeing it some miles back asking the way.

Check in was a good experience. No complaints with service. For a typical townplace by Marriott the biggest thing this hotel lacked was room renovations and upgrades. The kitchen drive, dishwasher and microwave were all outdated. Definitely time for this hotel to catch up with the new and improved standards that Marriott franchises normally accommodate.

Also there is a Macaroni Grill right next door and some great restaurants nearby. Wee were told by the front deal that there was a Walmart teen minutes away but we ended up being sent on a wild goose chase.

If the rooms were up to par with the renovation I would have rated this hotel a "4".

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Ever wondered what the difference in Springhill Suites and TownPlace Suites is? Well I always wondered but never inquired. On 07-1-12 after my son's track meet I stopped by and decided to ask what the difference was. The difference is TownPlace Suites has a full kitchen with full-size appliances, and outdoor pool and Springhill doesn't have a kitchen and have a indoor pool and whirlpool. Last week I wrote a review raving over how I enjoyed Springhill but after staying at TownPlace, TownPlace is my choice of lodging. My family and I enjoyed a 2 bedroom suite with full-size appliances. The windows actually open. I was WOW'd!!! The manager gave me a rate of only $89.00. Yes, only $89.00 for a 2 bedroom suite. Every thing you need is available within arms reached. The manager was very courteous and very helpful. I need a super late check out and I was granted what I needed. The management is very caring. The location is awesome, .09 miles to Harris Teeter, less than 10 mins to UNC Charlotte, restaurants within 3 mins. My only complaint is the frying pan was missing out of the unit so it took us a little longer to cook breakfast but again the manager was happy to allow us to stay in the unit until we were completely ready. I highly recommend this hotel for lodging and I will not only be back to this location when I am in the area but this will be my choice when traveling other places.

Room Tip: Be prepared to "not" want to leave.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here for the last 5 years while attending the NASCAR race-very convenient location-staff is very accomodating and courteous-every need is addressed promptly-we would not think of staying anywhere else in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple