“In desperate need of updating”

SpringHill Suites Charlotte University Research Park
Ranked #61 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Augusta, Georgia
“In desperate need of updating”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I do a lot of research before booking a hotel for my family to stay at and must say I was disappointed in this stay. While the room layout was very functional for families with children; I loved the seperate sitting, wet bar area, I was very concerned with the general cleanliness of the room. The carpet was filthy, I cringed whenever anything was dropped on the floor and my daughter had dirty feet after walking around barefooted. The walls were dirty and the bathtub had a constant drip. There were two small greasy handprints on the television screen when we arrived that I had to clean myself. The couch was old and the cushions sank toward the back. The furniture is that old burgandy, forest green combo that was popular 15 years ago which I assume is original to when the hotel was built. We were in the room when housekeeping arrived so I guess so felt she didn't need to freshen the room, we were handed clean towels and the trash was emptied and that was it, then she had me initial a paper. I had to take the dirty towels out of the room myself and not once were the beds made. All in all I will not be staying at this particular hotel again but I did like the Springhill Suites brand and will stay at their other properties.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Erving
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Pros: Close to UNC Charlotte, updated look, suite with plenty of room for families, terrific breakfast with lots of choices, sink outside bathroom for morning ease, wet bar, pool and hot tub. Cons: the mattress was very soft and surpisingly uncomfortable, no freezer in the fridge. Friendly, clean, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Got agGreat price on Priceline.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank goingforadrive
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed here twice while visting our son. Friendly staff and rooms very nice

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I had a very nice two night stay over the 4th of July weekend. The front desk manager, Gladys, was very warm and friendly. She made sure that we received the AAA rate that I overlooked checking when I booked the room. The room was just right for us! We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable. We found the room very clean and fresh smelling. Loved the flat screen TV, though the channel selection was limited. The parking lot was well lit. The hotel is located near Northlake Mall, Harris Teeter, Wachovia and Suntrust banks. When we go back to Charlotte again, we are more than likely to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank davicea
Ohio
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We recently stayed at the Springhill Suites over Memorial Day Weekend 2011. My husband, my son and I were in Charlotte to attend the Coca Cola 600. This hotel was close enough to make getting to the track easy but just far enough away to stay out of the hustle and bustle of the weekend traffic.
It was similiar to many Springhill Suites we have stayed previously. The room was clean, bug-free! and adequate size. The pool was small and seemed a little on the cool side but hotel pools always seem cool to me. The hot tub was nice tho. Breakfast was typical. The only complaint was that during the week they stop serving breakfast at 9AM which seemed a little early to me. We were up late due to the Sunday night race and didn't make it down in time on Monday.
Because of race activities we didn't have a chance to take in much of the local scenery. There was a shopping center with restaurants nearby that seemed to be new and upcoming. I prefer Marriott properties and found this one to serve the purpose of our trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kelltnas
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here for All-Star race. Great location if your coming for the races, about a 15 min drive to the track. Room was very clean and beds were soft, some might say too soft, but I loved it. Nice flatscreen TV with HD cable, but for some reason the number of channels are limited. Breakfast was very good with plenty to eat. Bottom Line...... We come to Charlotte every May for the races and this will be our hotel of choice in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2011

First, I want to say that the SpringHill Suite brand is my favorite of the low-mid priced Marriott properties. It offers useful amenities - separate sitting area, free Internet and a hot breakfast.

The hotel is in an office park area which, I assume, generates most of its weekday business. I was going to an event at the Lowe's Speedway over a weekend and the location was pretty convenient. There is a Macaroni Grill restaurant in the same parking lot but you will have to drive a couple of miles for anything else.

If you are not familiar with the Springhill room layout, it works like this: The room is not that much larger than a regular hotel room, but there is a divider about halfway separating the sleeping area from the sitting area. This gives the illusiion of a larger room. The room itself was generally clean and everything was in working order. The TV is a large flat screen. There was only a modest channel selection, but many of those that were available were in hi-def (thumbs-up!). The TV mounts between the sleeping and sitting area and you will need to swivel it for proper viewing in on area or the other, but not both. The room has a wet-bar area with a small fridge and microwave but the fridge does not have a freezer compartment. Don't get any ice cream for the kids (or grownups!) and expect it to keep.

The beds are way too soft. This is probably be the biggest reason I will not return. Both me and my traveling partner woke up with backaches every morning. The walls are pretty thin as I could hear the ramblings of other guests in the ajoining rooms and hallway. My usual cure for noise is to let the A/C fan run continuously but this system would not let you turn on the fan with the A/C so you had to endure it cycling on and off along with the noise from your neighbors.

The hotel was pretty full while I was there, which seemed to overwhelm the breakfast area. The offerings were typical of a free buffet and not bad: Make-yourself waffles, egg disks, sausage, oatmeal and biscuits were the hot items and the usual breads and cereals for the cold selections. They had trouble keeping everything stocked and we had to wait for a table. The Internet was a little sluggish - OK for e-mail but not for streaming even low-res content.

Until they replace the beds, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple