“Nice location and very friendly staff”

Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte
Ranked #10 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed two nights. Nice suite set up. Very clean. The people working there are very friendly and helpful. Breakdast was typical for this type of hotel, though we kind of expected biscuits and gravy (better for the waisteline that they did not have them). Evening pulled pork was quite good. Just Sourh of Charlotte.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lhjraffe
Christine C, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear lhjraffe,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay at the Sonesta ES Suites. I will let our Evening Social host, Carmen know that you enjoyed her pulled pork, she will be pleased that it was enjoyed, along with our breakfast. We do rotate our breakfast menu as well as our Evening Social, so just let me know when you are coming back and we will prepare something splendid for you. Just let Carmen and I know when you are coming!

Regards,

Christine Champion

There are newer reviews for Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our Church Youth group stayed here on a trip to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. We found the rooms to be nice/clean and roomy enough to
sleep up to 7. The breakfast was more than expected and the kids really filled up for the day's events. The pool area was a nice place to relax and have our devotion time, nice and quiet. Charlie greeted us and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed, He has to be the best greeter/front desk person I have ever encountered., hope he is there when we come back. One little note..a couple of the bathrooms smelled like cigarette smoke? Perhaps these rooms were smoking rooms at one time under previous ownership( now Sonesta ES Suites) ..Will stay again next time...
Ken Y. from Summerfield NC

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Heddle,

Thank you so much for staying with us during your visit to Charlotte, I am so pleased that your group enjoyed their stay. We find that groups like yourself really enjoy the hotel due to the full kitchens and extra spacious suites, especially our two bedroom suites. It is great that you also got to relax in our Courtyard. and enjoy the pool. I will pass your commments on to Charlie, he is one of our biggest assets at the hotel, he makes sure that every guest is given information on the local area, recommends attractions and is fabulous with Restaurant suggestions.

Please consider coming back with your group - perhaps for a visit to some of the other great attractions in Charlotte! Please let me (or Charlie) know when you are coming back and we will look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home in Charlotte.

Christine Champion

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I travel 200 or more days per year and have stayed in hotels all over the US and Europe. This Staybridge does not meet the standards that I expect from the brand. Staybridges are usually very nice and a good value. The room had new carpet but smelled like an old refrigerator and the walls were cracked and dirty along with fixtures covered in lint and dust. The hallways are very dirty and appear to have not been vacuumed for some time. This is probably the dirtiest hotel I've stayed in and it seems as though the staff doesn't care. I suppose if you are in a pinch and need to get off the interstate and sleep for the night it will do but I would not recommend spending time there if you have other options.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cgmk1
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were in town for a surprise birthday party. As Holiday Innn points travelers we reserved 2 rooms with our points. When we checked in Charlie was at the desk and very friendly but right from check-in there were some problems. The key coding system was down. We would not have room keys until that was fixed. Charlie was more than accomodating to come open the side doors so we could unload our luggage. After a 12 hour trip we just wanted to get into our room and unwind. We were hoping to have connected rooms but that was not available. The rooms were ice cold when we opened the door but since North Carolina was experiencing a heat wave (105 degrees at noon) it was a welcome blast of cold air. After we got adjusted we needed to turn the thermostat up. When you go to the unit near the window none of the buttons would work when pushed. Oh boy, this was not going to work. I called the front desk. They suggested the thermostat on the wall, whew, that worked. We walked across the street to the Jack in the Box for a quick dinner. Since it was still so hot we decided to relax poolside before we turned in for the night. There was a sign on the door exiting to the pool that it would be closed due to some roof repairs but the sign on the pool read "open". It was clean and refreshing, no one else was around.
Breakfast Saturday morning was nice but other Staybridges I have stayed at have been better. The options were slight. We had some down time Saturday and were hoping to find an outlet or mall near by to waste some time. Our GPS sent us 10 minutes away with some options. Again since it was still a heatwave we made the trip out short so we could lay poolside again.
All and all the stay has been pleasant but not a location I would RAVE about. Please refer to Pros and Cons below:
Pros
The entire staff was friendly. Everyone made a point of saying hello.
The breakfast is more then a continental but not much more. The hot individually made waffles are the star of the show. Hard boiled eggs, french toast, bacon, oatmeal and grits round out the hot options (all appeared good and fresh). Hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, yogurt and pastries are other options. The staff appears to help themselves alongside the guest during breakfast hours which I found odd.
Poolside also has a basketball court and propane grills for guest use (I wish I knew this ahead of time, bringing a bag of hot dogs from home would have made a nice lunch/dinner)
Lots of coffee options at the breakfast bar (I did not try any since I don't drink coffee)
Each room has a mini kitchen stockes with plates, cups, pots and pans. NO OVEN but a microwave and stovetop. Full size fridge with freezer.
Our room had a bag of microwave popcorn too, we liked that bonus as an afternoon snack.
Nice size rooms with pull out bed/couch
DVR with TV - I don't know if they have movies at the front desk??
Restaurants/coffee shops within walking distance
Cons:
A fresh coat of paint could be used in our bathroom. Our walls had some scuffs.
There was a stain on one of our pillowcases that appeared to be blood.
The inconveience of the lack of room keys (but that was fixed within 2 hours of checkin)
The phones in the room were horrible. They would cut out when we would call room to room (the 2 rooms were at different ends of the hall). I think replacing the cords might help.
Pillows were very hard. In all fairness I did not call the front desk and ask for a replacement, so they might have softer ones available.
The basketball court fence had a large hole in it, the ball might have to be chased.

Room Tip: They allow pets in this hotel, one of our rooms was across from a room with 2 dogs. They could be h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We love staying in Staybridges & do so often. We were greeted by Charlie, who smiled & thanked us for our choice of staying in this Staybridge. We stayed on minimal points & this hotel was a bargain with nice clean room, friendly staff & comfortable bed, yet we were treated as well as guests who paid a much higher prices. Charlie also helped us out with some other requests which made our 3 night visit even better. There was roofing reshingling going on through our stay, but it didn't inconvenience us in any way. Breakfast was very good. We also recommend a restaurant that was within a few feet of the Staybridge, Cafe South, which opened up this month (June 2012), which was convenient as well as had great food & service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The suite I stayed in was enormous. Basically 2 rooms connected. The breakfast was very good. The employees were very courteous.

Room Tip: I do not know if they have a spa, hence the average rating.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I travel a lot and stopped on a single night stay at this property after finding it on my iPad during travel. Online it looks pretty nice and its funny how price can build perceived value. This room was over $130 and ends up being no different than a residence inn. In fact we pay much less than this at the residence inn just off the Disney property in Orlando and its in a much nicer area and located in a high demand area. I feel this property is ok with some issues and definately not worth the price. There are better options for the price.

First of all the staff is very friendly so there's no issue there.

The parking lot does not feel safe at night. A security guard was walking around at night which made me feel better about my car being there but it's not an area I'd go for an evening walk in.

As soon as you walk in side you feel the sense of an older building trying to keep up. Again I can't understand the price. The hallways are hot and smelly. The thermostat is set on the coldest setting in the hallways but it is still hot and smelly.

The elevator was very hot, but fortunately you are only in it for a moment but it still hurts the feel of quality when you pay $130.

The rooms are okay but have the smell of smoked masked with glade plugins but overall the rooms are nice and clean.

The hotel is not bad. I want to clarify that. It simply is old and not worth the price. Many ppl who like the feel of newer hotels may not prefer this one.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear civileng68,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you mentioned our friendly staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Janice A.