“Can't wait to come back!”

Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown
Ranked #60 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn (RI) while in town for a concert. I was very impressed with how warm and friendly the staff were at the RI. It is clear that they place a high value on customer service and aim to make you feel welcome and at home during your stay. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed, parking was convenient, and wifi was included. We encountered a problem with one of our toilets and it was fixed within minutes of my calling about it. Afterwards, the front desk called to make sure that everything was okay. I really appreciated that. The breakfast they serve is outstanding. It varied every day we were there, which kept it interesting. I loved the fact that they used real eggs for breakfast as opposed to that powdered stuff you see in other places.I also enjoyed the warm cookies served every afternoon, along with the complimentary wine/beer reception in the evenings. Overall, Charlotte is a wonderful city filled with warm, hospitable people and the warmth and hospitability of this city is reflected in the management and staff at the Residence Inn Uptown. I plan to return.

Room Tip: Stayed on 10th floor. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FlipFlopGirl1791
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown is a new property in a rapidly developing neighborhood. It is next door to the Carolina Panthers' stadium, and will soon be sandwiched in between that and the new BB&T Ballpark which will host the AAA Charlotte Knights. The entire neighborhood is under construction, with many major developments currently underway. In a few years, I can see the Residence Inn Uptown as in a great location with many things to do nearby, but for now, the construction everywhere makes walking to other attractions in downtown Charlotte difficult. To remedy this, the hotel provides a shuttle service in the evenings, which operates on-demand. My friends and I took advantage of this to get to the NC Music Factory, and were pleased with the service.
The room was comfortable and had new, high quality furnishings. A Residence Inn, it contained a full kitchen (though we didn't use it). We enjoyed the free cookies, hot dogs and beer provided in the lobby in the evening.
While the front desk staff at check-in were the friendliest and most helpful such people I have ever encountered, our experience with the night concierge was less than helpful. Returning from the concert, we asked him where we might find an open restaurant (it was 1 AM). He replied with a brisk "I don't know!" and immediately went to the back area. One would expect that our request was not unusual for visitors unfamiliar with the city, and that one working the front desk at night might have at least one option in mind for people in our situation. This experience changed what would otherwise be a 5-star rating into a 4-star.
Please note that I cannot comment on the price, as the room was booked by one of my traveling companions.

Room Tip: We were told by the incredibly helpful front desk staff at check-in to opt for a room on the back (n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Be careful when you give your credit card details for swiping for the hotel charges as they block much more than expected and still say that the money is not cleared by your bank and still push hard to make further payments. I had overpaid at least by USD 1000 and still they were asking for more and creating a irregularity on the payment collection. All my detailing went into deaf ears as they kept on blaming the bank and bank very clearly said that its already paid to hotel and in the process hotel blocking more than USD 1000 that I was supposed to pay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dillip P
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We are extremely careful when posting charges to our guest's credit cards. Our property management system does authorize a reasonable amount over and above the expected room and tax bill due to most guests ordering room service, visiting our lobby bar/pub and/or parking charges. Any and all over-authorizations are returned, on our end, to the guest's account upon checkout. The issuing bank may hold the funds for a time period they feel reasonable, usually a few days, before returning to their customer's account but it is not due to any of our policies or procedures. We do understand that overseas banks hold onto funds longer than domestic banks.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

One of the two bathrooms had serious plumbing problems in both the toilet and the shower. Hotel was full, so we couldn't get another room. Upon checkout they discounted the room charge by 50%. We were very pleased, otherwise, with the room and the staff were over the top accommodating! We certainly will stay there again.

1  Thank Duetsinger72
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very pleased with the excellent service. When I mentioned that we had never been in Charlott before, the front desk had the concierge gave us a quick tour around town. Also, Our room was upgraded to two rooms suite which definitely the best customer service Win me over:) Parking is $11 which is very reasonable for a city hotel. Breakfast had very good varieties.

1  Thank Marilyn R
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

I was so pleased to hear that you had such a great stay at our property. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and exceeding our guest's expectations.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel was not up to Marriott or Residence Inn standards. The lobby was nice, clean and tasteful decorated and the breakfast was good. That was pretty much where it ends. Our first room was dirty when we got to it, when we went back down the girl at the front desk was sitting on the desk with her back to us, the other girl was waiting on someone, finally ( I would say 5 minutes maybe more) the girl on the desk saw us, ask if we need to be helped then got down off the desk. The manager’s reception ran out of food about 25 minutes into it and didn’t refill until people started to complain. The worst thing was we had requested a 2 bedroom suite, got a one bedroom because they were sold out and even that we could have dealt with but the sofa was so bad we couldn’t sleep. My hip hurt for 2 days! Really, if you don’t need the sofa this hotel would be fine, but if you do, look for something else.

1  Thank itraveltons

Thank you for your input. I am very sorry to hear that we were sold out of two bedroom suites during your stay. They are quite popular. I would like to apologize for sending you to a dirty room as well. That is a rare occurrence at our property and just not acceptable. We do have a small supply of new sleeper mattresses available upon request and also offer egg crate mattress toppers. I am sorry that you were not offered one or both of these options.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a Saturday. Upon checking in, my credit card was swiped and was given my room keys and told the room I was in. That was it, no directions to elevators, no mention of breakfast in the morning or anything. Ordered the romance package, received bottle of kinda cheap $8 champagne and a plate of fruit ( Honey dew, pineapple ). Package was described as bottle of champagne and chocolates and breakfast for two? Breakfast is already included with the stay, so pretty much paid $20 for an $8 bottle of champagne and maybe $2 worth of fruit. We were looking forward to the chocolates as advertised, not fruit. Also desk clerk sort of ruined the surprise by telling us she would be bringing the champagne up in a few minutes while we were walking to our room. Room was nice, we had the executive suite which has a balcony with a great view of the city and some nice construction as an added bonus...just kidding...Construction work started at 7am on a Sunday morning, which woke us up early. Bed was hard and pillows were small and extra requested seemed to be absent. I even requested extra pillows and a high floor ( we got 4th floor ) while reservation was made. Also room temperature never seemed to cool down even with A/C set on coldest setting. Breakfast was pretty good and had a nice selection, but no bacon??? Breakfast staff were very polite and cleared tables promptly. I was expecting more for the price paid for a single night stay.

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra $20 on the romance package, not worth it. Parking costs $11/day. Construct...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple