“Nice hotel, with a few issues”

Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown
Ranked #63 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The bed is very comfortable, the room is spacious and the location is close to a number of city events.

The hotel gave me a smaller room than the one I paid for. I was supposed to have a room with a separate bedroom, but this suite did not.

Also, some disclosure before I booked on the extremely loud next door construction that woke me up at 630 would have been nice. Nothing like a jackhammer first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for your honest and sincere feedback. Yes, we do currently have a lot of construction around the property. Unfortunately we cannot control that and if Charlotte wants to continue to become a world class city there will continue to be more construction in the Uptown area. Our team members are expected to notify our guests of the noise to locate a room that is more quiet if requested. The construction companies are complying with no noise before 7:30am going forward.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Traveled from Washington State to attend the AAHPERD Convention at the convention center. Many of our state colleagues compared notes on the hotels we had chosen. Ours rocked! We asked the hotel desk where a famous hot dog restaurant was and he said he would walk us there since it was his lunch time. Our every need was graciously accommodated. Great location, yummy breakfast items. But ther service is what gives this place a double thumbs up! Next year's convention is in St. Louis and we are already planning our stay at a Residence Inn!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We all have choices. As a long time business travel, who gravitates to Marriott properties, my wife and I typically chose Residence Inn due to the spacious and comfortable suites (with kitchen amenities). While the location, basic services and amenities are great, it is the highly service oriented staff at this particular Residence Inn that puts it head and shoulders above all others. This service orientation is not isolated to just a few employees, it is a way of life here, with all staff gong the extra mile to make sure the time spent by their guests is as enjoyable as possible. The tone is set at the top and is evident in dealings with ALL employees! I have seen a note that states "Our staff is always ready to assist you".
While I have been working in the Charlotte area for the past 5 years, and most always chose here first, a recent experience illustrates the caring provided by this hotel staff. When preparing to leave last week, I experienced car problems. Although I had contacted AAA for assistance, 4 different employees (front desk and 3 managers, including the General Manager) provided assistance in helping diagnose my problem and getting me on the way well before AAA even called to say they were on the way. Would this happen at the Hilton, Westin, or even other Marriott properties in the vicinity -- NOT LIKELY! When I mentioned the extraordinary service (although ORDINARY for the Residence Inn Uptown), my wife's comment was simply "That is why you stay there. They care!"
I encourage you to give the Residence Inn Uptown Charlotte a try.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for recognizing our efforts to provide our guests with the finest service in Charlotte.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although we didn't attend the game, this was a spot offseason that provides an outlet to get to most places around town. There is a parking deck beside the hotel with hookups for green vehicles. Traffic isn't a problem in this area either.

• Stayed: June 2012
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for the kind words. Please come back for an NFL or college football game!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel has a great location, just across the street to panther stadium (aka Bank of America stadium) -- the front door of the hotel is as close to the stadium as some of the stadium's own parking.

The rooms are nice 1 bedroom suites with a kitchenette - very good for an extended stay.

I was very impressed with the complementary breakfast, nothing extravagant, but very good. I normally pass on complementary breakfasts, but here the strafing dish scrambled were moist and good, there is a nice selection of cereal and breads and a self serve Belgium waffle, good coffee too.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for just one night. We each have two sons and we booked two rooms. The location was great and the shuttle service took us anywhere we needed to be downtown. The staff was super friendly and the free breakfast was a step above similar locations where I have stayed. There was a lot of construction around the hotel, but it did not bother us. We also had a leaky shower, but again...a minor issue and I told the front desk when we left so they could take care of it. I would stay here again when visiting Charlotte.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We work on our service skills every day so I am glad that it showed. We do have a lot of construction around us but before too long these additions will make this area a premier spot in the Uptown area.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

First let me say, my wife and I are Residence Inn fans. The room was what we have come to expect from this chain, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was great as always. The frustrating part comes from trying to get to the garage to park. Seven times from check-in till check-out, I tried entering each time it was a 5 to 15 minute wait. The problem mainly stems from inconsiderate people blocking the entrance, when its clearly posted not to do so. But the front desk must also shoulder some of the blame because you can clearly see from their vantage point this is happening. Someone needs to work on this, waiting 15 minutes is ridiculous and very frustrating! If there is going to be a seprate charge for parking I should be able to do conveniently.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Let me apologize for the inconvenience of you having to wait and waste your valuable time parking at our facility. I am sorry that the front desk and bellmen did not keep the flow of traffic at an acceptable pace. There is another entrance to the garage just around the corner from our main entrance to the hotel that you must not have been aware of. We will take aggressive steps to help train our associates to recommend the other entrance when traffic patterns are high. Again, please accept our apologies.