“Below average”

Ranked #125 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Los Angeles, California
“Below average”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We've been on a road trip for over two months and have stayed in Days Inn, Travelodge, Super 8, etc. This hotel is definitely below what we have experienced. On the plus side, the staff (owner) we dealt with was always friendly and helpful. The room included a refrigerator, microwave and Wi-Fi all of which worked well. The TV is old style but worked OK. Breakfast is free and is very basic, coffee, toast, Tang and waffles. On our second day there was also cereal but not the first day. The room was reasonably clean but dated and in need of maintenance.

The major problem was that, even though we were in a non-smoking room there was a clear smell of cigarette smoke. We can only assume that it was coming through the ventilation system. We are in another city today and when we pulled our clothes out of the suitcase they smell like cigarettes. Our room was #234.

Room Tip: Room #234 smelled strongly of cigarette smoke (non-smoking room).
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank specialklc
knightsinncharlottea, Webmaster at Knights Inn Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your comments. Although you indicate your experience was below average, I appreciate the praise you provide about the staff and the amenities. I’m sorry if a guest violating our smoking policy caused you an inconvenience. I’m glad we were able to satisfy you in so many other ways, however. Our goal, of course, is 100 percent satisfaction, and I apologize for the ways in which we fell short.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Charlottw
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Overall good hotel I come here often. Very nice caring people that make me feel welcome. Good beds and comforting place to stay. Hbo and cable included as well as wifi and a telephone. It's easy acess located right off of I 85 and not far from the airport.

• Stayed December 2013
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Recently I had stayed 4 Nights / 3 Days in this motel with family - I did not face any safety or other issues. It's Good value for money - Rooms were clean, Service is Prompt and Courteous. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Location is very convenient ..just few minutes of Drive from Charlotte Downtown. I recommend this Knights Inn.

Room Tip: If you ask for Smoke-free room ..you do get smoke free one! It helps to be specific at the front de...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rupen P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2013

It was my first time at a Knights Inn. I am not sure how this property received excellent ratings from some of the other reviewers. I usually do Super 8 so its not like my standards are at the Waldorf Astoria level. This property is on the "aged" side, however, for the price it makes sense (for my Chicago readers, think of the Grand Motel on 99th and Halsted). The mall and the rest of civilization (i.e. restaurants, etc) are about 15 minutes further north. On my first afternoon/evening, I heard lots of sirens so I imagine that there must be a hospital near by. When I began my day the next morning, there were two police cars in the parking lot -not sure what was going on there. I stayed on the second floor next to the office so I am appreciative for that. The next time I may try the Microtel property that's right next to the airport.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ShowbizPizza
mrghal, Manager at Knights Inn Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time. We would like you to know that we are always doing some sort of improvements to the property. We are currently renovating many of our rooms and updating carpet in many of the rooms. We are in a noisy area sometimes...we have a fire station at the top of the hill and we are in the direct path of one of the run ways at the airport, but other than that it stays relatively quiet here. We hope that you will reconsider and give us another chance when in the area again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

As prior reviews have stated, Knight's Inn is a haven for public drunkenness, prostitution, and drug dealing/drug abuse. The room was filthy, poorly cleaned and had insects. We decided not to stay and checked out shortly after we arrived.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank traveller827
We're very sorry that your experience here wasn't a pleasant one. We would like to have had the opportunity to fix the issues with your room or we would have moved you to another room. We accept all kinds of reviews and we try to make improvements based on the reviews that we receive. Once again we're very sorry that your experience here wasn't a better one.
Tangerang, Indonesia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Prostitution. Drugs. Ghetto neighborhood. Haven for criminal activity. Filthy bathroom. The tub had black dirt and grime all around it. The carpet had stains. The room reeked of cigarette smoke. I was afraid to look under the sheets. The later it grew, the more unsafe I felt! I kept looking out the window to make sure my vehicle was still there. Each time I looked outside I saw something even more suspicious than last time. After sitting on the bed for less then one hour, I gladly checked out! Shortest stay ever! People walked in from the highway and from the back lot. Criminal activity was everywhere. A couple was fighting in the room next door...The list goes on and on. Save yourself the nightmare and find something closer to the university (North Tryon St.....University City Blvd). The few extra miles were very well worth it. If I could rate it a few NEGATIVE stars then I would!

Room Tip: Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! Find something near the university where there are more cops.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
We were very sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at our establishment. We wish that we had been given the opportunity to correct the problems with your room. We are currently making upgrades and improvements to the property and the rooms. We would also like to apologize for the disturbance with the couple arguing next door to you, if we had known we would have gladly taken care of the situation. We have a store right across the bridge from the motel and most of the guests that stay here walk over there instead of driving. We're very sorry that it disturbed you. Regardless, we still appreciate the review and you taking the time to do one. We are making every effort to correct some of your concerns. Thank you once again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was very reluctant to check in to this hotel because of the area. When entering the staff was very nice and helpful. I had a room upstairs. It was very close to a variety of stores ( freedom drive). I did see a few things outside the building that I didn't approve of. Overall this is not a five star hotel and despite the area this establishment is clean and safe with free wi- fi and pet friendly and for the price you can't beat it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the positive comments about our hotel. I’m glad you found that the neighborhood and the property are superior to what you first thought. It proves that appearances can sometimes be deceiving. I appreciate the opportunity to provide you with great service and the clean and safe environment and amenities you needed. For any ways we fell short, however, I offer a sincere apology to you.

Hotel Manager.