“Accomodating & Friendly”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport
Ranked #37 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Accomodating & Friendly”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My title really says it all.My family came through for the weekend, and I don't make reviews often but I felt this stay was of note. Despite some technical difficulties (such is life!) they were having with their key machine, they went out of their way to ensure that we as the guests were not inconvenienced in the slighest. Every staff member I chatted with was welcoming and friendly.

The price can be a little high at times (for the Hilton Brand in general) but really considering the rooms and services of the Homewood Suites specifically, it's a pretty good value! My family usually looks for a Homewood Suites when we travel because of the quality and conveniences that accompany their rooms, and we were not disappointed in the slightest at this location! Thanks again for a quiet, clean, friendly, hassle-free stay!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank allen1979
Stacie B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind remarks and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding though our technical difficulties. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travel brings you to Charlotte!
Suzanne Stickley, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We had stayed at this particular Homewood Suites a few years ago. We've never needed it for any kind of stay associated with a flight out of CLT, but we have found it convenient enough for our purposes, especially since they have the larger suites that we need at better prices than most other places in the Charlotte area.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed this time. Not necessarily about the service (all was courteous), or the cleanliness and condition of the room (no complaints), but that our room was not ready at 4 pm when we arrived to check in. We were on our way into town for a wedding that evening and had arrived early, so we thought it was a great opportunity to relax a bit beforehand. Unfortunately, I was informed that there was a late checkout for that particular room and they were just going to clean it. We got into the room a little before 5.

Now, I do understand that late checkouts are not uncommon, and that there could be more of them at this particular hotel due to the unpredictability of flight schedules. But I have been told point-blank as a guest at hotels in the past, when I requested a late checkout, that it wasn't available because they needed the room. It was a somewhat minor inconvenience in this case, but, nevertheless, as far as I am concerned, a 3 pm check-in time should mean that the room is ready at 3 pm. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Otherwise, the stay was OK, about what I would expect. The rooms are comfy as you would expect for Homewood Suites. Breakfast was fine and typical of Homewood.

All-in-all, this is a good hotel for those who need an airport hotel. We didn't, and so we may look elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank redwolf87
Thank you for your comments and we do apologize for the delay in check-in. Our check-in time is 3PM and that time needs to be honored each and every time. You are correct that honoring late check-outs can sometimes create challenges especially for specific room types and locations. We will carefully review your comments to prevent this situation for future guests. Thank you again!
Suzanne Stickley, General Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2012

It is odd that the reviews have suddenly fallen off the wagon at this facilty. When researching, I checked this very site and the reviews were glowing. With the issues that I experienced, this cannot have been a sudden decline, or maybe some rooms are much nicer than others? I don't know.
What I do know is that I was disgusted by the bedding - the quilt cover is completely open at the top end - did housekeeping put the quilt on the bed the wrong way around?
Either way, the non-fastened, open quilt cover gave me a nice view of a big yellow stain on the quilt inside (cell picture attached to review). It looks like a dog has urinated onto the quilt, or maybe some extremely sweaty and disgusting persons armpit was on the bare quilt, either scenario is disgusting. I have my doubts that the quilt inside the cover is washed between visitors.

This caused me to notice other things - there was a large stain on the carpet, which also looked like a pet urine spot. There were lots of police and detention center marked vehicles in the parking lot and at least one room had what sounded like a large German Shepherd barking inside at about 7pm.

The kitchen appliances were all dated 1999 (and I assume the tatty furniture would be, too) the microwave door was almost melted through in one very small spot that was apparent when steam from my frozen dinner was clouding the door.

On a positive note (why not!) The staff on the front desk were top notch - the fellow who greeted me on Sunday afternoon was very friendly and personable and the same goes for another fellow [male] that helped me to print the five room cards that I needed that week because they kept on wearing out from the slightest EMF/electrostatic exposure
The TVs were very nice with HD on many of the channels.
I did not eat the on-site food on any night of my stay and the calendar on the refrigerator that doubles as a menu had multiple instances of the same date and counting errors, I think that it could have been typed up by someone afflicted with dyscalculia, so it was impossible to tell which meals I could take a calculated risk on least being poisoned by, so I took the 3-4 mile drive to the supermarket instead (which my garmin insisted was on the wrong side of the 6 lane street).
I actually worked harder in vain! to complete my work sooner, so that I could have left by the Thursday.
I did not complain to the front desk (who doubtlessly could have offered another and potentially urine free room) and I did not complete the corporate parent company/franchise operator corp's comment card to indicate my dissatisfaction. I saved it all for here, the public domain, where capitalism and the discerning consumer can now make an informed decision as to whether to stay here, which is something that a police dog cannot.
Food for thought.

Room Tip: Bladder control usually isn't a recorded statistic in the hospitality industry, so you'll ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NCLimey
Stacie B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer valuable feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience was not the one we intend to deliver to each of our guests which is nothing short of outstanding value and service every time. Guest reviews are very important to me. I do utilize them to improve procedures, implement new services, and further the staff's knowledge and performance.
I know that when I travel, I expect a high level of cleanliness and I want the same for all of our guests. So, please know that today, the staff and I made an honest effort to address your concerns as described. I only wish we had the opportunity to resolve these issues during your stay. As you noted, our staff is very gracious and eager to please! I am confident we would have met, if not exceeded your expectations if given the opportunity to do so.
Being a pet friendly hotel certainly presents some challenges at times however, it is a family oriented approach that we are committed to as a Homewood Suites. I want to offer you some reassurance that our housekeeping staff is top notch by sharing some tangible information. On our latest evaluation our guest room cleanliness score was 99.68%. Our independent consumer survey ranks our housekeeping staff at 16 points above the industry benchmark. So while it does not completely account for your experience, I hope it offers some reassurance that we are certainly dedicated to delivering a clean room.
I welcome you to contact me at any time you wish so we can bring this to a satisfactory conclusion for you.
With kind regards,
Suzanne Stickley
Marienville
Reviewed March 22, 2012

After an 8 hour drive and arriving at 4pm on 3-13-12 at the Homewood suites we were told they were overbooked and our reservation I had made on 12-6-11 did not matter. They were sending us to a cheap La Quinta hotel instead of the 2 bed 2 bath living room kitchen suite we had booked. We were traveling with an elderly couple and had expected to have dinner there which was also included in our rate, Other options offered to us, go back to South Carolina and stay ( we were traveling north) or 4 of us stay in one room in a king bed and sleep sofa. All unacceptable! After an hour in there lobby they got us 2 rooms in a Hampton Inn in Statesville NC which was very nice but not the suite we had reserved. We piled back in the car and drove 1 hour north through rush hour traffic. Still don't understand why we were denied rooms, no phone call canceling, and had even received an e-mail confirming our reservation on 3-11-12. *

Room Tip: Do not know if they have good rooms as we were not allowed to stay there. Based on there front desk...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 721JimM
Stacie B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience. We do understand your frustration, and deeply apologize. It is not a situation that arises often and we regret that we were not able to accommodate you. We are certainly glad that we were able to take care of the alternate arrangements you selected at the Hampton Inn Statesville. We do also hope you enjoy the certificate for any future stay with Hilton. On behalf of the Homewood Suites Charlotte Airport, please accept our sincere apology.
North Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2012

So I posted a review - explaining in some detail my experience. I don't think I said anything out of line. It was published - there were some folks who said they found it helpful - but then Tripadvisor decided to take it down (hmmmm...).

I travel quite a bit - and after hundreds of hotels I can't remember the good ones from the bad ones. So - I leave these reviews to remind myself when I return if there was a hotel I liked or didn't like in a city.

So - note to self - stay somewhere else.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank sbccc
Stacie B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time for writing a response of your recent
stay. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.
Regarding any questions you may have about TripAdvisor's guidelines for responses, we will have to direct you to TripAdvisor since we do not set or maintain those guidelines. Thank you for your understanding.

Suzanne Stickley
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a group involved in a tournament. What a great experience! The room was well appointed, well stocked, and clean. The management opened the breakfast bar an hour early for our team due to an early game and then allowed us use of a meeting room for an evening meal. One of our best hotel experiences - and we stay at quite a few! Will definitely stay here again and will also look for this brand as we stay at other locations for future vacations and tournaments!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor overlooking the pool. We were close to everything and it was very qui...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Stacie B, Guest Service Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great response! We were glad to host and accommodate the group for their big games! It was also our pleasure to serve breakfast early for everyone to start their day off right! We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Charleston, SC
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Good hotel for a layover with big, clean rooms and friendly and helpful staff who are very accommodating to travelers. Breakfast isn't bad either (as American hotel breakfasts go), and the fitness center has good-quality equipment. Only drawback: somewhat isolated, so restaurants are hard to find, though they do have a sort of food court with hotel delivery options nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LordPercyPercy
Thank you so much for your time! We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to be a convenient stop for your layover! It is true that yes, we are settled in a business park area so restaurants can be limited, but we do have a variety of cuisine within a mile from our hotel. With your next stay with us, we hope you can visit some of the local restaurants in the area! These restaurants include, Mar Y Tierra, Nana's Soul Food, Jocks and Jill's Sports Grill, Hibachi Express, Jersey Mike's Subs and Omaha Steak House. Hopefully these will be helpful in the future when looking for a place to dine!