“Great Location with Improved Staff”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #48 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Maricopa, Arizona
“Great Location with Improved Staff”
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We arrived at the Omni Hotel on East Trade Street on 11/22/2010. The self parking was used for 6 days and found to be very good with a daily cost of $15.00. You are permitted as many in and outs as you require. We did stay here last year during the same time frame. Again this year, the Hotel was the place the Cheer Leaders were staying for their event. No issues with those Teams as they were well behaved. This year we noticed a great improvement in the Hotel's Staff Attitude. Very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 14th floor, the same as last year but larger. There is a Hospitality Type of room on the 14th Floor that serves a Continental type breakfast and evening appetizers from 5 PM to 10 PM–a very nice feature. Last year we heard a strange noise, front loading washing machine type of noise above our room. This year the noise was louder due to our location. Once we were asleep, it didn't trouble us. The Hotel did offer to move us but we declined. As we left the Hotel's Lobby for the elevator to the parking garage, we heard the same noise–it's the elevator's motors. So for peace of mind, stay at least 3 rooms away from the elevators. The maid service this year was improved with great service. Our room rate had breakfast included which offset the cost of parking. The Hotel's Restaurant had great service the every time we dined there. We feel that this Hotel is a wonderful place to stay and we plan on a visit again in 2011 during the same time frame. Many thanks to the Hotel's Staff for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
We are pleased to hear that your recent stay at The Omni Charlotte was an improvement over your last. We've been focusing on improving all areas of customer service and have welcomed some new members to our management team. It is nice to see that reflected in your most recent stay and we will look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Overall was a nice hotel. Was a little worried by previous reviewers about paper thin walls and smoking room. Phoned ahead and requested a nonsmoking room, never heard another person in the hotel all night. Shower was great, bathroom is small. Pillows are nice. Only complaint would be that the beds were hard. Blankets and sheets nice. Would stay here again when traveling to Charlotte. Also there is alot to do around hotel, connects to a mall.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
We appreciate you taking a chance on The Omni Charlotte Hotel and are glad to hear you weren't disappointed. We take every review posted very seriously and try to learn from our mistakes and are glad to see that in your case it paid off. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed at the Omni last week for business. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the Omni for a few reasons. The building/decor is a little dated. There are some cosmetic issues in the hotel that are hard to miss. It's nothing to deter anyone from staying here, but it's worth mentioning. I stayed for 3 nights, and I requested a new room my first night. The walls are super thin - I could hear the conversation from my neighbors. And no, they were not shouting - they were talking at a normal noise level, the walls are just that thin. While the front desk associates were incredibly friendly the entire duration of my stay, it seemed rather diiffcult to change my room. I never did end up getting another room. The last night of my stay, I could hear someone strumming a guitar...I don't know where this came from. Was this a guest? A bar down the street? I have no idea. The ceiling in one of the conference rooms was leaking. I notified the front desk and they did call someone...however, no one came into the room until 90 minutes later to address the issue. I'm not sure why this wasn't addressed sooner. Another complaint I have is that the internet is horrible! I need to have wifi access for work, and this hotel just did not make the cut. I could rarely VPN into my company's network. I called the front desk and requested a "booster" to get a stronger signal, which did not help. I had only 2 bars (out of 5) when I was in my room. In the lobby, I could get 4-5 bars. However, sitting in lobby to work is not ideal. My final complaint is the elevators. I waited approximately 4 minutes for one of the 6 elevators to arrive on my floor. On the plus side, the rooms were more than adequate. They were very clean and the beds were incredibly comfortable. The front desk/guest services associates were all very friendly and accomodating (except for the room change - still not sure why this was such a difficult request). The location is perfect - right in the downtown area next to the Epicenter - nice for meeting friends/clients for lunch/dinner/drinks. I would recommend this hotel to a friend if they are looking for a prime location - if they are traveling for business and need internet access, I would suggest they find a different location unfortunately.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
We appreciate all of your feedback from your stay at The Omni Charlotte Hotel. Your frustration with the wireless internet is understood and we are making adjustments daily to boost the signal in our guest rooms. We do apologize that you were not able to change guest rooms during your time with us. We try our best to be flexible in regards to room moves but if we are in a sold out situation we may have limited availability to make changes. As we move into 2011 we are making some major updates to the hotel including the meeting space and in the installation of high speed elevators. We hope you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to Charlotte.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed here with friends in Nov 2010 for an annual football trip. Even after we had pre-paid for our room through Expedia we arrived to find out that they had given away our non-smoking room and placed us in a disgusting smoking room. They offered free breakfast but no other room option. When a room has been pre-paid in full we feel it should not be given away and the management at the Omni should review their policies in this regard. The rooms and hotel in general were fine as well as the staff was polite but unfortunately left with a difficult situation due to management. The only other complaint we would have is the extremely slow elevators. Multiple times we waited 10 minutes or so to finally give up and take the stairs .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
It is disappointing for us to read that your stay at The Omni Charlotte fell short due to your assigned room. We are glad to hear that our associates attempted to make things better by providing you with breakfast but regret that a room move was not provided that would have turned your stay around. Please accept our apologies and we hope you will give us a second chance in the future to provide you with the stay that you expect and deserve.
Blythewood, South Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I checked in on a business trip only to be assigned a suite add-on room with just a fold out couch. I am not sure how they justivy pawning a pull out couch for $150 per night, but I will never stay here again. I complained and was told I could have a real bed for the following night. All this with reservations made months in advance.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Theclarksgj
Please accept our apologies that you did not receive the room you were expecting upon arrival at the hotel. On rare occasions we do utilize the Parlor portion of our suites to accommodate our guests but the feedback in most cases is that in spite of the pull out sofa it is a bonus to have the amenities of the suite. We regret that in your case the bed type outweighed any benefits. We do hope this would not prevent you from staying with us in the future as we would make all efforts to ensure that you are in the room of your choice.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed here, two blocks from the arena for Lady Gaga, September 2010! The hotel was packed, we got there right at check in. We had to wait. We finally get to our room and it's a bit small, but it's nice. The beds are heaven, a bit too much on them. The bathroom is tiny! That is my only complaint. Our room had no menu for room service, and we couldn't figure out how to open the mini bar--which was probably a good thing!

The room service staff were not English-speaking! This IS SO ANNOYING! HIRE PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LANGUAGE! From maids to staff! I asked for a specific type of tea, with cream and sugar. I got decaf tea.....they never sent up extra cream as I asked. This was very annoying. The waiting was bad, and I realize the hotel was completely booked. But it was TEA!

Overall I rate this hotel wonderful. I would stay again, it's right in the middle of everything.. I loved it. If it were less crowded it would have been perfect. And being close to the Lady Gaga concert was excellent, and made all the other things not be so bad. Location, location, location!

Oh yea, and they let us have extended say and we checked out 2 hours after checkout! That was so nice.....much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for all of your feedback regarding your stay on the night of The Lady Gaga concert. Although the hotel was extremely busy that night, it is not an excuse for us not to have provided you quick and accurate service. Your comments are being shared with our management team as it allows us to identify ways to make improvements. We do appreciate that despite your issues with room service you had a great stay and we appreciate your recommendation on TripAdvisor.
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for our 10 year anniversary. Our room had a very nice of view of the pool and also overlooked the epicenter. Since we were there over the weekend, the music from the epicenter was very loud. Outside of our room was also very loud. It felt as though we were in a dorm - yelling, screaming, running, jumping up and down the hallway by guests of the hotel. We dealt with this for 2 nights. The next morning when we went out into the hallway, Bud Light bottles, surrounded the elevators. We made mention of this at the front desk and expressed how unhappy we were so was told by the front desk staff that the manager would be giving us a call. Needless to say, we are still waiting for that phone call. On a separate occassion, they forgot to clean our room, we had been out of the room for over 8 hours and it had not been cleaned. Bed was hard, pillows were soft. Internet service worked well. Friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Omni Charlotte Hotel. First, I would like to apologize for not having a manager call you as our staff had indicated. I understand that this can make an already frustrating situation worse. In regards to the noise we do working closely with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department to monitor the noise levels. We hope that your stay at the hotel, which does not live up to the standards that we have set for ourselves, does not keep you from returning to the hotel if you do return to Charlotte. Thank you again for your candid feedback.