“Great location, decent rooms, TERRIBLE beds.”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #60 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I am putting on a 250 person, week long workshop at the Omni right now. The location and meeting spaces are why we chose the Omni. However after two nights I wish I would have personally stayed

1. The TVs night was the Monday Night Football opener, and it Was unwatchable in my room. How do hotels not have flat screen tvs in 2010??

2. The beds are the WORST I have ever slept on. The mattress is hard as a rock and the pillows are so weak that I get woken up 5 times a night to re-adjust my head. I'm not that old and will have to go to a Chiropractor after this trip.

Good location, but with the Marriott, Hilton and Westin nearby, I would never stay here again.

OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Thank you for your recent comments, our guest feedback is extremely important. We are pleased to announce that we are presently installing all new 37 inch flat screen TVs in all of our guestrooms. We are excited about the new look in our guestrooms and we feel that our guests will enjoy it as well. If you are ever back in the Charlotte area we would love another opportunity to win your trust back in the Omni Charlotte.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,187)

Reviewed August 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip to the Omni in Charlotte and we were highly impressed. It was our 2 year anniversary and we wanted somewhere close to our uptown dinner spot and anything else we wanted. The Omni's location is perfect! Our room overlooked the Epicenter and and the view was great. When I booked the reservation online, I became a Rewards Member and was rewarded more than I could have thought! I booked a deluxe king room and when we checked in, we were given a junior suite on the corner of the hotel with windows lining 2 of the 3 walls.. awesome! The pool was nice, but not quite what I expected as there was only a bar (by the pool) on Saturday and it was not exactly if we felt comfortable walking damply through the lobby to the main bar to get a drink every time. The bell men were super helpful and suggested a lunch spot that was perfect! The only other negative I felt was that the bed was not as comfortable as say the Heavenly Bed at the Westin or the Sweet Dreams bed at the Doubletree, but not horrible by any means. Overall, our experience was great and we cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us at the Omni. We know that these days are remembered forever so we are glad to be associated with it in such a special way. Joining the Select Guest also gives you complimentary wireless internet access and morning beverage service as additional benefits! We can't wait to see you on your 3rd anniversary next year.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed at the Omni last month while in town for an appointment. The location of the hotel was awesome. Right across the street (connected by an above street walkway) was an outdoor bar/restaurant area called the EpiCenter. There is a CVS there as well. The hotel itself was nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There is an outdoor pool on the 2nd floor with lots of seating and music being piped in.

My only complaint about this hotel was the lack of service. We had several issues that could have been handled better...

1. Upon arriving in our room, we noticed that our toilet would not flush. The front desk sent someone up to look at it. He said we needed wait wait a few minuted before flushes and there was nothing wrong with it. 20 minutes late, it still would not flush. It took 3 times for someone to come look at it, and us asking to be moved, before they moved us to the room next door.

2. The in-room binder said that the hotel provides personal hygiene products that you may have forgotten. I called the front desk and requested some items. I was told they would be sent right up - they never were.

3. Only one of our keys worked. We notified the front desk of the issue. They told us to wait outside our room and a staff member would be right up. It took 30 minutes for them to arrive.

If the staff would dedicate themselves to providing first class service, this hotel would be at the top of my list next time I am in Charlotte.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

We appreciate your constructive feedback following your stay at The Omni Charlotte. Please accept our apologies that the response time of our staff was below both your expectations and even our own. Service is very important to us and we will be sharing your feedback with the managers of the various departments in the hotel for training purposes. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope you will give us a second opportunity to provide you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

At the first of June we made reservations for two nights in July (July 27-39). These reservations were extremely important to us because we bought a VIP package costing $3,000 to see Paul McCartney perform on July 28 and had to be at the TWCA precisely at 3:30 pm on the 28th. It was my 60th birthday present from my husband. We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 pm on the 27th and was told the hotel was "overbooked" and that they were sending us to the Blake Hotel a mile away. We needed to be at the Omni (or another hotel downtown) so that we could walk to the arena to make sure we got there on time for a security check and could enjoy a private perfomance by Paul and a dinner afterward in the VIP lounge back stage and we were also sitting 3rd row center for the concert. The Omni Hotel front desk manager was telling many people who were arriving that they were booked and that they, too, would be sent to the Blake Hotel. We were also told every hotel downtown was booked because of "all of the things going on in Charlotte at that time." DUH! That's why we made the reservations over a month in advance. We also called an checked in withe the concierge several days before arrival. We later found out the Blake Hotel was a dump. Needless to say, I was livid when we were told this. I even asked for a suite or penthouse and that I would gladly pay for it, but the desk clerk said "no" we don't have anything available. I went through the entire situation with her but she kept pushing a map to the Blake Hotel in front of us. We threatened to stay in the lobby of the Omni. She said "Go ahead--that's fine." After much more ridiculous conversation with this woman, I sat down, called a hotel downtown and got a reservation. I could write a book on this experience, but trust me, it was awful and totally the most ridiculous hotel encounter we have ever had--and we travel a lot. Do not patronize this hotel. Obviously, you can't be assured that you will have a room available even if you booked in advance either on line and/or in person. Don't let your plans be totally derailed by the incompetence of this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victorianna_11

We truly regret that we were unable to accommodate your recent reservation at The Omni Charlotte. It is not standard practice for us to overbook the hotel and apologize that on this particular night a technical error jeaopardized our ability to honor your reservation. We are familiar with your situation and understand that our Director of Rooms has reached out to you to work towards an appropriate resolution. Again, please accept our apologies and we truly regret that our error put a damper on your spcial celebration.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday nights for a friend's wedding. My impressions of this hotel was that it is geared towards business travelers during the week, and parties on the weekend. There was at least one other wedding and a school dance while we were there, and even more people who seemed to be staying there to go out partying in Charlotte.

Our room was nice and clean, we were on the fifth floor with a nice view of the pool area. The major downside of the room was the noise! I expect late-nite noise in any hotel that's in the middle of a city, but I was pretty shocked that I could clearly hear the lyrics of the songs playing at the nearby clubs from the fifth floor at 2am! I couldn't decide if the outside noise was just that unbearably loud, or the windows were just that bizarrely thin. There was also plenty of noise coming from the hallways as well. As I said earlier, it's a party hotel, so come prepared! The wifi signal in our room was nonexistent.

I recommend signing up online for their free Select Guest program, it made check in effortless, and the complimentary morning beverages delivered to your room were awesome. (Just a note--when selecting 2 beverages per person, do not pick 2 coffees, or 2 hot chocolates, etc. or you will get 2 whole carafes! We very nearly made this mistake.)

We did not eat onsite, but did stop at the bar, where I was confused by the pricing--a Guinness was only $5, but all the wines by the glass and premium mixed drinks were well above $10. There are plenty of places to eat and drink near the hotel, so I would say overall it is a good location. As others have said, the shops directly adjacent to the lobby are closed on weekends, though there was an organic sandwich/salad place there that was open on Saturday, but not Sunday. We grabbed food there once (it was actually very good) and ate it out by the pool, which was a very nice area, though it was too cold and rainy to really use during our stay.

The underground parking was fine, convenient and easy to find a spot. Their in-and-out procedure was sort of convoluted, but we were impressed when we were able to stay parked until 4pm on the day of our checkout. The wedding we attended was very nice, the food at the cocktail hour was excellent, and the dinner was good.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing all of your feedback from your recent stay at The Omni Charlotte. We appreciate all of the positive feedback but are sorry to hear that the noise in the area disrupted your stay. We are fortunate to have a great Uptown location but with that comes our proximity to many of the major entertainment venues in the area. We do try our best to seclude any guests with noise concerns on the quieter side of our building and generally find that this will eliminate the noise from the area clubs. If you consider returning please do not hesistate to let us know that you prefer a quieter room and we will work you to make sure your needs are met. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I am presently staying at the Omni Charlotte Hotel. The staff and the facility are great. Unfortunately, the location has a real problem. Across the street is the "The EpiCentre" - an urban nightclub mall with rooftop concerts. RIght now the bass is so loud my hotel room windows are rattling. Last night, one of the rooftop bars played the music so loud I had to wear ear plugs to go to sleep. I think the music finally stopped around 2:00 a.m.
This is a nice hotel. It's too bad it's in such a noisy location. The W Hotel's Aloft and the Ritz Carlton are also adjacent to the EpiCentre. I would not recommend staying in any of these hotels if you want to go to sleep before 2:00 a.m.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

We are so sorry to hear that the noise from the area venues disrupted your sleep while at The Omni Charlotte. If you would reconsider returning in the future please do no hesistate to let us know that you would prefer a room that faces away from the Epitcentre and we will be happy to work you to make sure that you are provided with a peaceful night's sleep.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

As a platinum level Omni Select Guest program, I found the stay in this Omni somewhat short of expectation. What I liked was the view from my 12-floor room window. Where I find dire improvements need to be made to up the scale of the hotel or in keeping with the brand is as follows:
Gym is so small that it might just contract with the commercial gym on the lobby level to better service guests
Business center's printers (2 of them) had error messages on them
Non-smoking room smelled like being smoked and housekeeping came in to spray, resulting in an odd mix of smoke and chemical smell
Front desk service is lax
The evening local delicacy is tray of salted peanuts, from the bar downstairs probably. This falls short of what other omni provides.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

We regret to hear that your stay at The Omni Charlotte fell short of your expectations. As a platinum member we truly appreciate your business and would love the opportunity to provide you with a stay that meets the standards you have to come to expect from Omni Hotels. Prior to your next stay with us we encourage you to reach out to our Loyalty Ambassador so that she may ensure that all aspects of your stay meet your needs!