“Had confirmed reservations. Arrived. Told they were "overbooked"”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #58 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed August 4, 2010

At the first of June we made reservations for two nights in July (July 27-39). These reservations were extremely important to us because we bought a VIP package costing $3,000 to see Paul McCartney perform on July 28 and had to be at the TWCA precisely at 3:30 pm on the 28th. It was my 60th birthday present from my husband. We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 pm on the 27th and was told the hotel was "overbooked" and that they were sending us to the Blake Hotel a mile away. We needed to be at the Omni (or another hotel downtown) so that we could walk to the arena to make sure we got there on time for a security check and could enjoy a private perfomance by Paul and a dinner afterward in the VIP lounge back stage and we were also sitting 3rd row center for the concert. The Omni Hotel front desk manager was telling many people who were arriving that they were booked and that they, too, would be sent to the Blake Hotel. We were also told every hotel downtown was booked because of "all of the things going on in Charlotte at that time." DUH! That's why we made the reservations over a month in advance. We also called an checked in withe the concierge several days before arrival. We later found out the Blake Hotel was a dump. Needless to say, I was livid when we were told this. I even asked for a suite or penthouse and that I would gladly pay for it, but the desk clerk said "no" we don't have anything available. I went through the entire situation with her but she kept pushing a map to the Blake Hotel in front of us. We threatened to stay in the lobby of the Omni. She said "Go ahead--that's fine." After much more ridiculous conversation with this woman, I sat down, called a hotel downtown and got a reservation. I could write a book on this experience, but trust me, it was awful and totally the most ridiculous hotel encounter we have ever had--and we travel a lot. Do not patronize this hotel. Obviously, you can't be assured that you will have a room available even if you booked in advance either on line and/or in person. Don't let your plans be totally derailed by the incompetence of this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victorianna_11
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

We truly regret that we were unable to accommodate your recent reservation at The Omni Charlotte. It is not standard practice for us to overbook the hotel and apologize that on this particular night a technical error jeaopardized our ability to honor your reservation. We are familiar with your situation and understand that our Director of Rooms has reached out to you to work towards an appropriate resolution. Again, please accept our apologies and we truly regret that our error put a damper on your spcial celebration.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,185)

Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday nights for a friend's wedding. My impressions of this hotel was that it is geared towards business travelers during the week, and parties on the weekend. There was at least one other wedding and a school dance while we were there, and even more people who seemed to be staying there to go out partying in Charlotte.

Our room was nice and clean, we were on the fifth floor with a nice view of the pool area. The major downside of the room was the noise! I expect late-nite noise in any hotel that's in the middle of a city, but I was pretty shocked that I could clearly hear the lyrics of the songs playing at the nearby clubs from the fifth floor at 2am! I couldn't decide if the outside noise was just that unbearably loud, or the windows were just that bizarrely thin. There was also plenty of noise coming from the hallways as well. As I said earlier, it's a party hotel, so come prepared! The wifi signal in our room was nonexistent.

I recommend signing up online for their free Select Guest program, it made check in effortless, and the complimentary morning beverages delivered to your room were awesome. (Just a note--when selecting 2 beverages per person, do not pick 2 coffees, or 2 hot chocolates, etc. or you will get 2 whole carafes! We very nearly made this mistake.)

We did not eat onsite, but did stop at the bar, where I was confused by the pricing--a Guinness was only $5, but all the wines by the glass and premium mixed drinks were well above $10. There are plenty of places to eat and drink near the hotel, so I would say overall it is a good location. As others have said, the shops directly adjacent to the lobby are closed on weekends, though there was an organic sandwich/salad place there that was open on Saturday, but not Sunday. We grabbed food there once (it was actually very good) and ate it out by the pool, which was a very nice area, though it was too cold and rainy to really use during our stay.

The underground parking was fine, convenient and easy to find a spot. Their in-and-out procedure was sort of convoluted, but we were impressed when we were able to stay parked until 4pm on the day of our checkout. The wedding we attended was very nice, the food at the cocktail hour was excellent, and the dinner was good.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing all of your feedback from your recent stay at The Omni Charlotte. We appreciate all of the positive feedback but are sorry to hear that the noise in the area disrupted your stay. We are fortunate to have a great Uptown location but with that comes our proximity to many of the major entertainment venues in the area. We do try our best to seclude any guests with noise concerns on the quieter side of our building and generally find that this will eliminate the noise from the area clubs. If you consider returning please do not hesistate to let us know that you prefer a quieter room and we will work you to make sure your needs are met. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I am presently staying at the Omni Charlotte Hotel. The staff and the facility are great. Unfortunately, the location has a real problem. Across the street is the "The EpiCentre" - an urban nightclub mall with rooftop concerts. RIght now the bass is so loud my hotel room windows are rattling. Last night, one of the rooftop bars played the music so loud I had to wear ear plugs to go to sleep. I think the music finally stopped around 2:00 a.m.
This is a nice hotel. It's too bad it's in such a noisy location. The W Hotel's Aloft and the Ritz Carlton are also adjacent to the EpiCentre. I would not recommend staying in any of these hotels if you want to go to sleep before 2:00 a.m.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

We are so sorry to hear that the noise from the area venues disrupted your sleep while at The Omni Charlotte. If you would reconsider returning in the future please do no hesistate to let us know that you would prefer a room that faces away from the Epitcentre and we will be happy to work you to make sure that you are provided with a peaceful night's sleep.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

As a platinum level Omni Select Guest program, I found the stay in this Omni somewhat short of expectation. What I liked was the view from my 12-floor room window. Where I find dire improvements need to be made to up the scale of the hotel or in keeping with the brand is as follows:
Gym is so small that it might just contract with the commercial gym on the lobby level to better service guests
Business center's printers (2 of them) had error messages on them
Non-smoking room smelled like being smoked and housekeeping came in to spray, resulting in an odd mix of smoke and chemical smell
Front desk service is lax
The evening local delicacy is tray of salted peanuts, from the bar downstairs probably. This falls short of what other omni provides.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

We regret to hear that your stay at The Omni Charlotte fell short of your expectations. As a platinum member we truly appreciate your business and would love the opportunity to provide you with a stay that meets the standards you have to come to expect from Omni Hotels. Prior to your next stay with us we encourage you to reach out to our Loyalty Ambassador so that she may ensure that all aspects of your stay meet your needs!

Reviewed July 12, 2010

This was my wife's birthday. I specifically requested a high floor away from the elevator. In asking front desk, the employee by the name of Christina, was incredibly unhelpful in trying to find another room either on the same floor, if not higher, that would ultimately be away from the elevator. She said that she would call my cell phone if she had any luck. My wife and I went down to the pool for about 1 hr, and come back to get ready for dinner and house keeping came to our room 3x wanting to clean up the room because they had been notified that we moved to room 709 (we were in room 1116). I didnt have a missed call on my cell or any messages on the hotel room phone. In mentioning this to the hotel manager (Andrew?), he seemed pretty set on having me talk with Christina about the issue (even after I told him she didnt seem like she knew what she was doing). Also, breakfast in the morning was incorrect twice with the french toast. It normally comes stuffed with some sort of flavored cream cheese. I asked if we could have just normal french toast with nothing else...and we got french toast stuffed with plain flavored cream cheese and bacon instead of sausage.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

We are disappointed to read about your experience at The Omni Charlotte and apologize that we fell short of your expectations on such a special weekend. We are always looking for ways to improve and enhance our service and reviews like yours allow us to pinpoint areas in need of improvement. Again, we are sorry that we missed the mark on your stay and we truly hope for the opportunity to provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I would not recommend this hotel to my friends. The staff was overworked and rude this weekend. My room had ants,I was not far from the pool on the 3rd floor maybe the reason for the ants. The location was great, but not good enough for the bad room,the rude service,and the loud music. I would not stay here again..actually I am on facebook,myspace and contacting my local union to continue my complaints.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I was very excited about getting a wonderful price at a discount site for our vacation scheduled in Aug. My husband and I was so excited that we decided to stay for the 4th of July weekend. Hopefully, when we return in August, we will have a better experience.
The hotel is in a wonderful location in downtown Charlotte. Multiple restaurants and attractions are in walking distance. The Epicentre is located across the street and connected to the hotel by a walkway. FYI-If your room faces the Epicentre, expect to hear music early in the morning. There are several clubs that are open late. If that's what you are looking for, then this location is perfect. We arrived at 130 on a saturday and it looked like things were just starting. My children can sleep through anything so this was not a problem for us. Facing this direction was a bonus because we enjoyed the fireworks from our room. We booked a premiere double room which is a larger room but it seems smaller than it is because of the odd shape of the room; but the room follows the shape of the building. It had a small bathroom-large enough for the shower/tub and toilet. The circular pool and exercise room are small especially considering how large the hotel is. I could deal with all of this (especially at a discount) . The problem I had originated from my check in. I was checked in by 2 different people. I was not given a parking pass for self parking and had to go back to the lobby to get it. I am a new loyalty member, but on check in was not given the member information which included a form to fill out to recieve the complementary beverages in the morning (2 per person up to 2 guests). My bill on check out was double the amount because 1 of the persons who check me in placed a hold on my card (correct) but also credited my card (incorrect)! I am now watching my account closely. The front desk manager was very courteous and attempted to amend things but the damage was done. If I could, I would go to another hotel in the area. But, I am hoping for a better stay in August :)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We apologize for the hiccups that occurred during your stay and are reviewing your comments with our Front Office team so that we can train them on how to handle similar situations in the future. We are very happy to announce that we have a new Loyalty Ambassador managing our Select Guest program and if you would like to contact her prior to your August stay I'm sure she would be happy to work with you to make sure everything exceeds your epectations. We are happy to know that you will still be staying with us in August and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back for the flawless stay that you deserve!