“Really nice rooms - not so great service”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Maryland
“Really nice rooms - not so great service”
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Stayed here for business with a lot of colleagues. The hotel itself was great - really nice rooms, comfortable beds, nice fitness center and good quick service in the bar area.

It was central to just about everything and connected to the overhead walkway that runs through the town.

The downside - there was one man at the front desk who was so arrogant and rude. He gave us all attitude with every question that we asked AND even yelled at the poor girl who was behind the front desk for printing our boarding passes. They had a "business center" which consisted of one computer and one printer. THey actually charge you for each minute you spend on the computer. It's ridculous. I travel on a regular basis and I've never had to pay to use a hotel computer to print my boarding passes. Also, all of us had our laptops and wireless cards with us and although the hotel supposedly supported wireless connection to the internet, none of us could get it to work. This hotel needs to get with the times and stop trying to nickle and dime business travelers.

If I was just basing my review on the hotel room and location, I would say definitely stay here. If you need business functions, like internet access - stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lopesaround, Front Office Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2006
Dear wellermdfan,

We are sorry for your inconveniences during your stay at our hotel. We have noted your feedback and are working on some better ways to serve our guests. Notably, we are making efforts that our guests can ideally get their printing needs resolved at the front desk and not have to use the business center for that. We are also working to have a more appropriate business center in service. Nickel and diming is not our goal, and we are sorry that you left with that impression.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed September 5, 2006

My wife and I took a get out of town weekend trip, and the Omni was the perfect accomodation. We arrived a couple of hours early which proved to be no problem as our room was already available with no hassle. The room was very nice with a beautiful view and a very comfortable bed. The front desk gave us a map of the nearby attractions as the omni is centrally located in the middle of everything. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — n/a
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DelaneysDad
Cary, NC
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Check in was great. They upgraded our room and it was well appointed. There was noise in the hallway (screaming, slamming doors, cursing) about 2am and I called the front desk. The noise did not stop and so about an hour later I went to the front desk. Security followed me back to the hallway and the noise was stopped. I was disappointed that it took me going down to the desk to get a response. I received two emails following the stay requesting feedback. One was from Omni corporate and one said it was from the manager at the Charlotte location. I replied to both after they insisted that they wanted my feedback. I never heard anything from them. We did not expect the hotel to prevent issues like this but it would have been nice for them to acknowledge that there was a problem.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ncsu765
South Carolina
Reviewed August 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed here the first week in August on business. We were originally booked for two nights. Our no smoking room had a stale smoke odor. I know they can not rip up the carpet every time some person ignores the room policy, so I'll give that a pass. There was a knocking sound all night every one to five minutes. At first we thought someone was knocking on a door down the hall. It was louder in the bathroom, and lasted until 5:45 AM. Apparently, the pipes knock in the hotel and when a lot of guests begin showering in the morning, it corrects the problem.

Rather than hassle with changing hotels, we just checked out at 7AM and went home. The hotel still tried to bill us for two nights. It took five calls to finally get the bill corrected.

The bathroom was clean, and the mattress was soft, but the sheets were rough and uncomfortable. Next time we will go to the Westin.

Stayed August 2006
Statesville
Reviewed July 19, 2006

My wife and I decided to show her sister and boyfriend a night on the town. For the Hotels price, $99, for the basic 2 bed room, we were very happy. The room was a little small, but beds were way above standard hotels.

Looking at pictures of the hotel, the rooftop pool looks MUCH bigger than it really is. We wanted to spend the day by the pool, which we did, but there weren't enough tanning chairs for the 4 of us. Towels were nowhere to find, however after telling the front desk new towels were there in about 5 minutes.

Charlotte has a great nightlife and it's full of people going out and drinking and hitting the bars. The Omni was in the perfect walking distance from all of the bars. A nice quick stumble and we were back at the place.

One note that is outstanding, the checkin time is 3:00. I had called a day before hand and asked for a possible early arrival check-in. They said that we could request, but it's not a 100% guarantee. However, when we got into Charlotte at 12:00. We were pleased to have our room as soon as we got there and everything taken care of. Outstanding staff, and we plan on staying there again.

• Tips/Secrets — Even for small children, very close to Discovery Zone
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
new hampshire
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed here for the first weekend in July - we were in town for a convention. What a lovely hotel! The lobby was beautiful, the pool was wonderful, the staff was exceedingly helpful. Just so people know - downtown Charlotte closes on the weekends! So, there is a shopping plaza below the lobby and one across the street attached by a catwalk - but all of the stores are closed on the weekend. However, the concierge was able to make good recommendations for shopping and printed out very clear directions for me. The room was very nice - maybe a little on the small side - one easy chair and desk. The only complaint I had was that there were no channels for kids - no cartoon network, no nickelodeon. Granted, we did not travel with children - but I have to admit that I enjoy cartoons.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank tristemere
Reviewed June 13, 2006

The Omni turned out to be the best hotel that I have stayed at while in Charlotte. The location is prime --- at the intersection of Trade and Tryon (right downtown). This allows easy walking to any of the major businesses in Uptown, especially the banks and then on the other hand, the night life. Parking is 12 self, which is comparable to the other Charlotte hotels (yet still annoying). The parking garage is connected to the hotel, although you must switch elevators in the hotel (2 minute walk max).

The elevators in the hotel (and especially the garage) are relatively slow. However, in the end it was not bad, and what does an extra ten seconds really do anyway?

The staff is what makes this hotel shine! The staff was excellent during check-in. They accommodated my requests and were extremely friendly/personable. A nice surprise. The staff also helped with a baggage issue very professionally. There was no separate concierge service (at least during the weekend), however the front desk helped a great deal. They gave many good suggestions and recommendations.

I did not try the room service. The bar is cozy and neat place to grab a few drinks before heading out on the town. The restaurant was empty when I visited and I decided to go out to eat.

The pool is amazing. It is outdoors, so it is obviously only open during the summer season. The pool is on the roof --- the third or forth floor. It is a beautiful set-up. It is not a tiny pool. There are lots of lounge chars, other chairs, and tables. During my stay there were dozens of people lounging and enjoying the outside. One of the nicer pool areas I have encountered in quite some time.

The furnishings in the hotel are a little dated. But you can tell they have been working to improve the décor over time. The bathroom shows the most. This did not take away from the hotel in the end.

The room is basic. The bed is very comfortable, with a great number of pillows. Water pressure is great, along with the temperature.

I highly suggest this hotel.

• Stayed June 2006