“Creepy.”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #42 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Creepy.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Good location, but odd arrangement: lacks a real lobby area, and the bar is part of a mall.

Rooms are smelly (mildew), dark and the decor is tired. Staff are fine, but the whole experience is rather creepy and decaying. Not recommend, unless you can't get into the Ritz.

• Stayed November 2012
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
It was disappointing for us to read your review of our hotel. Please accept our apologies that your stay did not met your expectations and we hope we will have a future opportunity to provide you with a better stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Savannah
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were clean and the desk and restaurant staff were great. Only complaint is when I called for luggage assistance, they never came and they applied multiple charges to my account for what should have been one.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the oversight with luggage assistance and the extra charges. If the charges have not been corrected please contact our accounting department so that we can make the appropriate updates to your account. Your feedback is valuable to us and we appreciate the opportunity to know how we can improve the experience of our guests.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stay here several times a year and walk to the Blumenthal Theatre through an indoor walkway and shopping area. It is great not to have to go outside at night specially in the winter. Our rooms have always been exceptionally clean; the front desk staff is helpful. Unlike many hotels, the room service meals are as good and hot as if we were eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elinorelisabeth
Thank you for continuing to use the Omni Charlotte for your home base for attending shows at the Blumenthal. We are delighted that everything from our associates to your meals have been enjoyable and we look forward to your next visit!
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed Recently in Charlotte North Carolina, Excellent Staff and Accommodations.
I would love to stay there again, everyone was very helpful from the Housekeeping staff to Front Desk.
Make sure to ask for a top Room - 10 or 11 Floor.
Restaurant was good, Starbucks coffee was a plus down from the lobby, the only change ai thought would be good would be a better map of the tunnels that run through the buildings so you knew exactly where you were located. Also make sure there is some shuttle information from the Airport to the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MKBelanger
Thank you for sharing your complimentary comments regarding your recent stay at the Omni Charlotte. We also appreciate your feedback regarding information that we should make available to our guests and we will pass this along to our concierge. It was a pleasure for us to read your review and we hope you will return soon!
Bronx, NY
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed on a concierge floor in this hotel. The stay was perfect, great location, clean and staff was excellent. Room was quite large with a sitting area, though bathroom was a little small. Concierge floor provided us with breakfast and appetizers at night (we didn't even need dinner afterwards it was so good). One word regarding the location, like in many other business areas, I wouldn't walk around at night and be careful during the day on weekends. We were approached by many panhandlers on a Sunday.

• Stayed January 2013
We are glad you had a great stay at the Omni Charlotte. Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for five nights on a business trip in August 2012. I found this hotel underwhelming and a rip-off. The room was a decent size, clean and the bed was fine. Because I identified myself as a member of the Omni loyalty program when making my reservation I learned upon check in that I was entitled to certain benefits (who knew?): a room on the loyalty member floor; free newspaper, free pressing service. I believe it also entitled me to free in-room wi-fi. If this was personal travel I would have been gravely disappointed for the excessive price/minimal service. Free wi-fi is a deal-breaker for me; if they told me I had to pay for in-room wi-fi I would have walked out and found another hotel (there are many up/down the street). I had one meal and one drink in the lobby bar/restaurant. Pricey but that's what you expect in a hotel eatery. The hotel's location is convenient and you can walk anywhere but be aware that the hotel sits above an enclosed public shopping mall that is connected to many nearby office buildings. This gives you unfettered ability to walk all over downtown through ramps and passages connecting the various buildings (which I imagine is convenient during inclement weather). By the same token, it raises potential safety concerns. I had no problems during my stay and didn't hear of any other guests encountering problems, but I would have never booked a room in a hotel that is connected to public passageways and a public shopping mall. It seems to me there is a great potential for muggers to prey on unsuspecting guests while benefiting from the ability to make a quick getaway with many potential escape routes. The night I checked in there was some sort of beautician contest going on in the meeting rooms off the lobby, resulting in loud crowds constantly running into/out of the meeting rooms and to their rooms or garage. Unfortunately, the event also blocked access to the business center. When I was able to enter the business center the next day, I discovered that the computer terminals were not free and, in fact, require one to swipe a credit card on the keyboard to start a session. (I travel extensively but have never seen a keyboard with a credit card slot before). Worse, there was no signage anywhere in the unstaffed business center to alert one to the fees. WTF? I managed to complete my work via my laptop in my room--but it would have been much easier if I had access to a printer. When I asked the front desk clerk how much it cost to use the business center terminals, her response was "I don't know. I've never used them." Needless to say, I asked for the manager when I checked out and expressed my dissatisfaction. First, that they would nickel and dime guests for the privilege of using the business center (something a budget property would provide gratis, and the Omni chain, after all, is luxury level). Second, if they're going to nickel and dime guests (apparently even the loyalty members), they could at least have the decency to post a sign with the costs in the business center, and advise the front desk clerks how to intelligently answer questions about the cost of using the business center. The funny thing is the week before I stayed at a Ritz-Carlton (which Omni considers a direct competitor) and didn't pay a cent to use the staff-attended business center (and print gratis to my heart's content). Any wonder why I sent a scathing letter to the property manager upon check out and promptly cut my Omni loyalty card in two? My employer negotiates flat rates with many hotel chains and sometimes I luck out and find a luxury class hotel that participates in this program. Whatever Omni planned on earning by nickel and diming me for business center usage is more than a missed opportunity to squeeze a few dollars out of a guest as the damage done to their goodwill and brand-loyalty is priceless. I will never, ever stay in an Omni property anywhere. Their flippant belief that paying guests are lemmings who can and should be fleeced at every opportunity is reprehensible and should not be condoned.

Room Tip: Check out the Marriott just steps away...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your candid feedback and regret that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. All of your feedback was reviewed following your visit and we have again shared your comments posted on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to provide each guest with an exceptional experience and although we failed to meet your expectations, we appreciate the opportunity to understand where we have opportunity for improvement. We truly hope that the future will hold a second opportunity for us to provide you with a great stay.
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a convention that I attended recently. Very good location walking distance to the convention center. Rooms were nice, well appointed. One draw back if you're staying at this hotel become a member of their points program or you will pay for Internet! Ridiculous espescially when hotels like Comfort Inn include free WIFI. I would stay there again if need be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed your conference at the Omni Charlotte. We understand your concerns regarding wireless internet but we do have it available at no cost for anyone that signs up for Select Guest and the benefit is immediately available along with other great perks of membership. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon!