“Perfect stay in Charlotte”

Omni Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #56 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed on a concierge floor in this hotel. The stay was perfect, great location, clean and staff was excellent. Room was quite large with a sitting area, though bathroom was a little small. Concierge floor provided us with breakfast and appetizers at night (we didn't even need dinner afterwards it was so good). One word regarding the location, like in many other business areas, I wouldn't walk around at night and be careful during the day on weekends. We were approached by many panhandlers on a Sunday.

• Stayed: January 2013
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

We are glad you had a great stay at the Omni Charlotte. Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for five nights on a business trip in August 2012. I found this hotel underwhelming and a rip-off. The room was a decent size, clean and the bed was fine. Because I identified myself as a member of the Omni loyalty program when making my reservation I learned upon check in that I was entitled to certain benefits (who knew?): a room on the loyalty member floor; free newspaper, free pressing service. I believe it also entitled me to free in-room wi-fi. If this was personal travel I would have been gravely disappointed for the excessive price/minimal service. Free wi-fi is a deal-breaker for me; if they told me I had to pay for in-room wi-fi I would have walked out and found another hotel (there are many up/down the street). I had one meal and one drink in the lobby bar/restaurant. Pricey but that's what you expect in a hotel eatery. The hotel's location is convenient and you can walk anywhere but be aware that the hotel sits above an enclosed public shopping mall that is connected to many nearby office buildings. This gives you unfettered ability to walk all over downtown through ramps and passages connecting the various buildings (which I imagine is convenient during inclement weather). By the same token, it raises potential safety concerns. I had no problems during my stay and didn't hear of any other guests encountering problems, but I would have never booked a room in a hotel that is connected to public passageways and a public shopping mall. It seems to me there is a great potential for muggers to prey on unsuspecting guests while benefiting from the ability to make a quick getaway with many potential escape routes. The night I checked in there was some sort of beautician contest going on in the meeting rooms off the lobby, resulting in loud crowds constantly running into/out of the meeting rooms and to their rooms or garage. Unfortunately, the event also blocked access to the business center. When I was able to enter the business center the next day, I discovered that the computer terminals were not free and, in fact, require one to swipe a credit card on the keyboard to start a session. (I travel extensively but have never seen a keyboard with a credit card slot before). Worse, there was no signage anywhere in the unstaffed business center to alert one to the fees. WTF? I managed to complete my work via my laptop in my room--but it would have been much easier if I had access to a printer. When I asked the front desk clerk how much it cost to use the business center terminals, her response was "I don't know. I've never used them." Needless to say, I asked for the manager when I checked out and expressed my dissatisfaction. First, that they would nickel and dime guests for the privilege of using the business center (something a budget property would provide gratis, and the Omni chain, after all, is luxury level). Second, if they're going to nickel and dime guests (apparently even the loyalty members), they could at least have the decency to post a sign with the costs in the business center, and advise the front desk clerks how to intelligently answer questions about the cost of using the business center. The funny thing is the week before I stayed at a Ritz-Carlton (which Omni considers a direct competitor) and didn't pay a cent to use the staff-attended business center (and print gratis to my heart's content). Any wonder why I sent a scathing letter to the property manager upon check out and promptly cut my Omni loyalty card in two? My employer negotiates flat rates with many hotel chains and sometimes I luck out and find a luxury class hotel that participates in this program. Whatever Omni planned on earning by nickel and diming me for business center usage is more than a missed opportunity to squeeze a few dollars out of a guest as the damage done to their goodwill and brand-loyalty is priceless. I will never, ever stay in an Omni property anywhere. Their flippant belief that paying guests are lemmings who can and should be fleeced at every opportunity is reprehensible and should not be condoned.

Room Tip: Check out the Marriott just steps away...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate your candid feedback and regret that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. All of your feedback was reviewed following your visit and we have again shared your comments posted on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to provide each guest with an exceptional experience and although we failed to meet your expectations, we appreciate the opportunity to understand where we have opportunity for improvement. We truly hope that the future will hold a second opportunity for us to provide you with a great stay.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a convention that I attended recently. Very good location walking distance to the convention center. Rooms were nice, well appointed. One draw back if you're staying at this hotel become a member of their points program or you will pay for Internet! Ridiculous espescially when hotels like Comfort Inn include free WIFI. I would stay there again if need be.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed your conference at the Omni Charlotte. We understand your concerns regarding wireless internet but we do have it available at no cost for anyone that signs up for Select Guest and the benefit is immediately available along with other great perks of membership. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Four day business trip and and wanted to stay in the middle of downtown for walking reasons. Hotel was great, check in was wonderful and the front desk staff is hands on in with information going on around town. Very clean and friendly but the bedding felt like it could be better. Did not ruin the stay because the services more than made up for it. Room service polite and speedy. Food was good. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013

We are delighted to read that you were well taken care of during your time at the Omni Charlotte. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to a future opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel was a good value and all staff extremely nice and helpful to us. Dining was a bit expensive but the food ws good. The rooms were very clean and roomy too. Bath room a little small but that can be overlooked because the rest of the room was perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor. Wonderful view of the city!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for spending the Thanksgiving Holiday at the Omni Charlotte. We are glad you had a good stay and hope you will return soon!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Last weekend, I surprised my Hubby with a 30th Bday Bash in Charlotte, NC. We had family and friends from Atlanta and Raleigh come into Charlotte to celebrate with us. Because of the fabulous location, I chose the Omni Charlotte to book a block of rooms. From the time I contacted the hotel to request a block of rooms, I felt like I was in excellent hands. Not only did they secure the rooms for me, but my wonderful hotel contact, Hope Fernander, helped me execute my husband's surprise oh so well. She and the rest of the Omni staff made sure that it would be a weekend we'd never forget, and words can't express how much I appreciate that.

The champagne and sweet goodies that were in our room really added a special birthday touch to everything.

Location: Everything you really need is within walking distance in the EpiCenter. Restaurants, shopping, movie theaters...really no need to move your car unless you absolutely want to.

Dining: The BlackFinn Saloon is in the EpiCenter and we LOVED it! Such a variety on the menu. Great for kids and adults.

Entertainment: StrikeCity Bowling Alley is also in the EpiCenter and was so much fun! They have a great menu too. Not your typical Bowling Alley food.

Room Tip: Corner suite is absolutely beautiful with panoramic windows and beautiful views (we were in 1124)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

AMAZING location, really can not get any better in Charlotte. The rooms are small and are not anything to write home about. I have slept in much nicer beds for much less money. I hope this location has plans to amp up their rooms! Great staff and nice looking bar/restaurant. Also health club next door for five bucks is worth it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience at the Omni Charlotte. We appreciate your comments regarding our rooms and we hope to receive word of an update soon. It would be a pleasure for us to serve you again in the future!