“Wow! What an experience!!!”

Hampton Inn Charlotte - Uptown
Ranked #9 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We traveled to Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600 Race at Lowes Motor Speedway. We booked our trip with Premier Travel (a package deal), so we only had a choice of two hotels. We chose the Hampton because it was the only one of the two that allowed smoking.

When we arrived, the front desk manager and the clerk checked us into a non-smoking room. The Manager explained that there were no smoking rooms available. When we explained that we specifically chose the Hampton because we wanted a smoking room and that Premier was supposed to relay this information, the Manager immediately upgraded us to a suite at no extra charge.

We stayed in room 600, the room was beautiful. It had two rooms, one with a sitting area, TV, refrigerator, sink and microwave, the other with a king-sized bed. The room was clean and spacious, and the furnishings were lovely. The bed was very comfortable with nice, plush bedding. There were four cushy pillows and an extra blanket and pillow in the closet. There was even a second TV in the bedroom. Although the bathroom was on the small-side, the rest of the room more than made up for it. Since we were staying for 4 nights, it was important for us to be comfortable. The building was also secure, meaning you had to use a swipe card to enter the different areas of the hotel. I liked that there was a doorman and a lovely hostess in the free breakfast area (who, incidently, remembered me each day). This was not just a "continental breakfast", the hotel offered different egg dishes each day, 24 hour coffee and lots of different items to choose from. There is no restaurant in the hotel, however, the neighboring Hilton offers room service to the Hampton which we took advantage of. We also visited the restaurant for dinner one evening. Our server, Jerrylee was wonderful. We did not use the indoor pool, but were told by others we met in our group that it was very nice as well. The Business Center was very nicely furnished and had high speed Internet with a very nice printer, colored paper, and other nice additions.

Knowing that the city would be chaotic with the race in town, and having never visited the City of Charlotte, we were pleased that we were in walking distance from the street fair that took up more than 15 blocks in downtown Charlotte. We were also happy that we were able to visit Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s new bar, Whiskey River without having to take a cab. The City of Charlotte is under a great deal of construction, but we found it clean, easy to navigate, and the people were so friendly and helpful with police everywhere you looked to maintain order= you couldn't help but feel safe. The skyline is amazing with many new Art Deco buildings. The cab ride from the Airport was only $20, so that was a plus as well.

I really can't say enough about our wonderful experience. If you've never visited this beautiful city, I highly recommend putting it on your list of "must places to visit". The entire trip was enjoyable, due in no small part to the wonderful people at the Hampton Inn and in the lovely city. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank IthacaChickyChick

Reviewed February 29, 2008

Stayed here one night in Feb while in town for a swim meet. It is an easy one block walk to the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center. The location is also convenient for all downtown and will be across the street from the new NASCAR museum which is under construction.

It was mostly like any other Hampton Inn (which is a chain we like) but I must call out that the breakfast staff was exceptional !! The lady came by to every table and offered to cut up and serve an orange or some other fresh fruit to the customers. That was something I have not seen before !

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2007

I stayed 2 nights in December 2006 while interviewing for a medical residency at Carolinas Medical Center.

Check in was easy, a map of how to get to the hospital was provided, the room was comfortable and well appointed. Wireless internet available. HUGE full length mirror. The only complaint I had was when 3 light bulbs burned out in the course of a single day. But I mentioned it to the front desk and within 20minutes a person was up to my room apologizing and replacing the light bulbs.

The continental breakfast was HUGE and very good. Eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, cereal, bagels, fruit, etc. And they offerred a breakfast-to-go if you needed to get a bagged meal for later.

Parking was in a garage directly attached to the hotel with direct access from one of the upper level floors (I think it was 4th or 5th?) which was convenient. However, I noticed that the door to the parking garage would SLAM shut very loud every time you went in or out. So, I would recommend not staying in any of those rooms near the garage door. I think a previous poster already posted that you should avoid rooms 401 or 501 (I cant remember which floor it was, sorry) which are right next to the door to the garage. I'd actually say anyting from 401-406 should be avoided. I wouldnt want to be anywhere close to that door when it slams as it's loud. I stayed on the 9th floor and had no problems with noise.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank frostypoe
Reviewed December 24, 2006

I've yet to find a bad Hampton Inn, and this is not one of them. The one-night stay was everything I had hoped for. I stayed in a double non-smoking room and the bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom is very nice and spacious. I was directly across from the fitness center. If you require more than the fitness center has to offer, they have a contract with a nearby gym and you can use their facilities as long as you show them your Hampton Inn key card. There was a washing and drying machine located on my floor (2nd) which were free of charge. Detergent is available at the front desk should you need it. The free continental breakfast was more than I expected. There was fresh fruit, yogurt, and of course the usual cereal and bagels. For the price it was a great bargain.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2006

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this hotel in early December. We were impressed with the friendly, courteous, helpful attitude of all the employees. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The breakfast was one of the best we have experienced. There was a good variety of foods, hot and cold..
We ate dinner at around-town restaurants. The free shuttle took us to the restaurants and picked us up after we finished eating. This was a nice feature which made it possible for me not to have to drive after dark in areas where I was not familiar.

The hotel is in an excellent location. It is a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of uptown, but close enought to get there quickly and easily. As with most any hotel, if you make reservations a few weeks early, you can get a very reasonable rate.
We have stayed at this Hampton on a number of occasions, and the overall positives of the hotel keeps us returning. For the sports fans, the hotel is only about 5 blocks from the football stadium, and 3 blocks from the basketball arena so you can walk to either without having to drive.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2006

The location was convenient, the beds heavenly, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. They recommended a great restaurant in the area and arranged a complementary shuttle to drop us off and pick us up. My only complaint would be that the bathtub was very slow to drain. I don't understand the other reviews about the parking being tricky, we didn't have any problems.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Lieder
Reviewed July 22, 2006

There are two rooms in the Hampton Hotel /Uptown Charlotte that must be avoided in order to have a great stay. Rooms 401 and 501 are located next to the parking/garage access doors, and the constant entering and exiting of guests will be the source of much noise (day or night). Do yourselves a favor and avoid these rooms. The parking can be tricky; other than that the place is nice, clean, and affordable.

Stayed: June 2006