“Bug mix up.”

Hampton Inn Charlotte - Uptown
Ranked #8 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Bug mix up.”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I travel to Charlotte at least 10 times a year, I will will not stay anywhere else, this hotel is the best from the staff and location. I thought at first I was getting bite by bugs, later to find out the comforter is made with down feathers and I was allergic. I now request that the down be replaced with a blanket before my arrival and it has worked like a charm. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Charlotte.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Samuel001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
buffalo, ny
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I am currently in Charlotte, NC on business and stayed at the Hampton Uptown 4-27-11 till 5-14-11. My original reservation was till 5-20-11. The Hampton Inn Uptown is/ was my company's preferred hotel.

Thursday 4-27-11 I checked into the hotel around 2pm and went to work at Bank of America Stadium. After work that day, I returned to the hotel to relax and watch tv where it sounded as if I was I was sleeping in subway station. The HVAC was so loud I resorted to just turning it off and sleeping in the conditions. Over the weekend I noticed a bigger increase in guests, and wedding stay, and assumed there would not be additional rooms to move to nor did I want to be an inconvenience. However starting the new week I stated my concern for moving as I could not sleep comfortably as the room was hot and stuffy. When I was explaining my situation to the front desk agent she had asked if I could wait a couple more nights as they were booked the next couple nights. I also stated that I was staying for a length of time and if I could possibly have a refrigerator and she agreed but that no microwave would be possible. Long story short I never received a refrigerator.

Sunday on 5-8-11, I finally moved into a new room with a quieter HVAC, NO refrigerator, same rate but king to a double room, a gang of grown men hanging on the 7th floor hallways drinking alcohol, fraternizing with loud conversation. Again, I kept quiet and just went with it. Until Saturday 5-14-11.

Wednesday 5-11-11, After work we went to Mac's Speed Shop for dinner. Sitting for dinner I started uncontrollably itching my legs and calves. I was itching so bad that if I did not have skin left it would be justifiable to the itching that occurred. I continued throughout the night itching

Thursday 5-12-11, Continued to itch and was becoming concerned and thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction. After work and dinner I went to purchase new soap, lotions thinking perhaps that I was having a bad reaction.

Friday 5-13-11, The itching became much worse and co-workers began to get worried. They noticed it as a major problem while I considered it satisfaction but extremely frustrating. I tossed and turned sleeping believing that I was infested with bugs, had nightmares of the hotel and the staff, could NOT sleep.

Saturday 5-14-11, It was agreed by myself after my co-workers expressed that I should go to Urgent Care to be examined by a doctor. When onsite at Urgent Care, the doctors concluded that I indeed have a rash that could be contributed to sleeping in a hotel room for 3 weeks. It is noted that it is related to either bed bugs or scapies from the linens. The doctor proceeded to give me a prescription for lotion to apply from head to toe, and pills to contain the itching.
After picking up the medication from the pharmacist, I went directly to the hotel to discuss with management. The front desk supervisor tried to listen but does not have ANY knowledge of how to handle situations like this. I then recommended he call the General Manager, when I realized she too, has NO idea, training, or education to handle situations like this.

Room Tip: Which room does not have bed bugs or scapies?
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sikoea64
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I booked this place for the free wifi and free breakfast both of which were excellent. Breakfast was great, waffles, sausage, bacon, omlettes, plus all the continental usuals. Great value.

Room was fine no complaints there. The staff were ok nothing over the top. There are no safes in the room but you can put valuables in a safe deposit box at reception. Nice and quiet and a 5 minute walk to main streets with restaurants etc but there are no good places nearby to get preserves for the room, beer, food etc

Charlotte is a nice place but didnt think there was too much to see or do there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank gjm2783
NSW, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Clean, good sized room; free guest laundry; continental b'fast; free Internet and close to restaurants. Staff very friendly & helpful! We were only there 1 night but would happy stay there longer.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank kekwiatkowski
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed here a few hours on the night of April 9th/10th. I would more accurately give this hotel 3.5 stars

We were coming to Charlotte airport as a layover on the way home and missed the last flight out due to very bad thunder storms that shut down the airport for a while. We were at the airport past midnight, with no luggage, and no flight until 10pm the next night so we needed to find a room.

After going on TA to look for something with decent reviews and that was not too expensive we called several hotels. We luckily found this hotel and they had one room left!! At this time it was around 1am and the women was very pleasant and glad to offer the one room they had left. This was a very nice change to the other hotels we spoke to with not so pleasent people who were obviously inundated with calls and were all full.

We hoped in a cab and arrived at the hotel in about 15 mins. We were greeted by the person we talked to on the phone who again was really pleasant and, after she heard of some of our ordeal, offered us toiletries that they had on hand like a toothbrush, deodorant, etc. We got quickly checked-in and we asked if we could have late check-out due to our late arrival. She said they were sold out so the latest they could do was 1pm. Not bad, since we almost never have any luck getting late check-outs. She also asked if we needed a shuttle back to the airport which she would have arranged.

Our room was on the 6th floor. It had 2 queen beds, flat screen TV, free wifi, and a normal size bathroom. It did smell of cigarette smoke but being the time and the only room they had left we did not care if it was non-smoking or not. The bathroom was very clean and the shower had great water pressure and the water was hot. The rest of the room clean but it did look a little tired in the overall décor and there were some old spots on the rug, a water stain on the table, and the 2 light shades tht didn't match (one was dingy off-white and one white). I also probably noticed these things a little more since we were coming from a 5 star hotel the night before...although we are the type that would normally stay at a place like this more than a 5 star place.

They have a fee continental breakfast but we missed it

We checked out the next day around 12pm and they held our luggage until we left later that night. The room cost was $79 + taxes which we felt was well worth it.

The location also ended up to be very good as well. The Nascar Hall of Fame is right next door and the arena and football field are also nearby. The EpiCenter and a couple streets with a lot of restaurants and things is only a few blocks away.

After a day of walking around, eating, and drinking we came back just before 8pm to go to the airport. Waiting for us was a Lincoln Town car to take us to the airport which cost the same as a cab. Kudos to the desk person that came through and had arranged this!

While it wasn't the nicest hotel we have stayed in we got great service that helped make our few hours in Charlotte end up being very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank srauhala
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed March 29, 2011

What a great place to stay. Centrally located 1 mile from the South End, blocks from the Epicenter and all that Uptown has to offer, including Time Warner Arena, and right beside the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Very clean rooms, great beds and bedding, well equipped and comfortable! The free shuttle service is a wonderful bonus when moving around town, the drivers are knowledgable and friendly. I'll stay no where else. This property is also my mainstay for business in the city, has wonderful features and sales staff for business as well! What a jewel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ChangingPlans
Charleston, WV
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I stayed here 2 nights while attending the NCAA basketball games at Time Warner Cable Arena. The hotel is a very nice Hampton, and is only about a ten-minute walk from the Arena. It is also about a ten minute walk from the uptown area with a number of restaurants and taverns. The breakfast area is reasonably spacious, and the breakfast buffet provided a typical wide array of foods and beverages. Free parking is in an adjacent multi-level garage, which is shared with a Hilton Garden Inn. There is a nice restaurant in the Garden Inn. The hotel is just off I-277, so there is quick and easy access.

• Stayed March 2011