“Two Nights in Uptown At a Good Price”

Courtyard Charlotte City Center
Ranked #48 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Two Nights in Uptown At a Good Price”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We stayed two nights here while condo-hunting in uptown. We got a great rate online, albeit without breakfast. However, it did include parking, so I was fine dealing with grabbing a bite. The pool was nice, very hip looking. Bedding, bathroom, room, everything was in great shape.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Stayed at the Courtyard three days this past week. The hotel had a great location and was less expensive than other chains in the same area. A benefit of this Courtyard was that they had a full cash bar in the evening. The only meal service in the hotel was breakfast, but there were numerous good restaurants within easy walking of the hotel. I'm Platinum with Marriott and found this hotel met my standard for clean, good location and helpful staff. I took a cab to the hotel from the Airport and used a town car service back to the airport. I think it was about $23 for the taxi and $25 for the town car with tip. If you are staying down town their no need to rent a car, everything is pretty much in walking distance and there are lots of taxis.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — No full service restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Dakota20
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was in town to see a concert. We chose the Courtyard City Center for it's excellent location. We walked to dinner and had no problem finding a taxi when we needed one after the concert. The beds were very comfortable and each queen size bed had 4 pillows a piece plus there was an extra one in the dresser. The room had an ironing board and iron. No refrigerator. Ice makers are on each floor. The pool itself is a little small but the area around the pool is big. Our room was $119 a night plus $10 for parking. All in all, I think it was a good value.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The bar was never open
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank lessnow59
TN
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My husband travels for business nearly once a month and the kids and I go with him whenever we can. A few years ago we switched to staying only at Marriott because their beds are the most comfortable. (I have some major scarring on my back and I get very sore.) We checked into our room on the second floor and unpacked. When it was time for bed I noticed the beds were thin and lumpy. I could feel springs everywhere. There wasn't even a pillow top on the mattress. I didn't sleep any the first night, so we asked politely if there was anything they could do about the beds. They looked at us like we were the lowest of the low and stated all they could do was put blankets (not feather, but velour) underneath us. They came and put it on ONE bed (after several requests) not very nicely. It didn't help much. I cried, then got mad and contacted customer service at Marriott. On our last night, they offered to either move us to a new room or give us 5,000 extra points. At $200 per night, this isn't much compensation and was too little too late. I agree with the other traveler, stay at the Omni instead.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The awful, cheap beds
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
Reviewed October 5, 2007

You can't beat the convenience of this hotel. I was there to see Van Halen at the Bobcats arena (1st show in 22 years!) and hotel location was perfect, just a couple blocks to the arena. The hotel is right down town, walking distance to restaurants, bars, business district and the Westin and Hilton. We went to Ri Ra, which has a great upstair patio area. The cab from the airport was about $24 w/tip and was about a 15/20 minute drive. Check-in was a piece of cake, the lobby was nice, there was a litte bar and multi-purpose lounge area there adjacent to the restaurant area. Next to the check-in desk they have a little snack store which came in handy after the show! The room was clean, bed was just ok and the shower head was great - typical of Marriotts! The pool area was nice, great jacuzzi, nice pool, smaller workout room. We did not go in the pool because it was freezing but I highly recommend the jacuzzi. Overall a good stay! I would stay here again.

The only negative thing I would add would be about the city itself. It felt like the entire city was under construction, a lot of the side walks were blocked off, we kept having the cross the street because the sidewalks were closed, at one point near the arena sidewalks on both sides were closed and we had to walk on the street, this would definitely be a problem for handicapped travelers.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Stiff bed.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RickKrauseBoston
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 4, 2007

DH and I wanted to stay some where local to celebrate our anniversary. I have a preference for Marriott properties and chose this hotel for its location amongst other things. Check in went very smooth and we were able to park in the garage (for a $10 fee). That always aggravates me, having to pay a fee to park on the property of somewhere we're paying to stay, but I digress. The room was clean which is always a good thing. The sample sized toiletries they provided in the room were nice. We were fortunate to have Ruth's Chris Steakhouse right across from the hotel so we didn't have to drive. The downtown scene in Charlotte leaves a lot to be desired. After we ate dinner, there really wasn't much to do so we headed back to the room and went to sleep. The lady at the front desk told me that the buffet would be from 7a.m. - 12 p.m. Unfortunately, it was over at 11 a.m. We got down there at about 10:45 a.m. and they were putting the food away. I was disappointed about that. The one good thing is that the omelette chef was kind enough to turn her skillet back on and make me a delicious omelette. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel based on the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness, and having restaurants within walking distance.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed March 10, 2007

This hotel was a tad nicer than a typical Courtyard by Marriott. Perhaps it was because of its urban setting and proximity to fine hotels. The Westin, Hilton, and Omni are within a few blocks but are considerably more expensive. We paid just $89 for a weekend AAA rate and half the parking rate of nearby hotels. Sure, the Hilton is a four-star hotel, but the Courtyard is far from shabby, and the price really can't be beat for the location.

It's on the corner of 3rd and Tryon -- a bustling area of downtown Charlotte -- and within walking distance of major corporations like Wachovia and Bank of America, as well as the Panthers stadium, and the Bobcats arena. It would be a great place to stay overnight after a game. Lots of interesting restaurants and taverns are within a few blocks, too. The front desk has menus and directions to these restaurants.

The rooms in this hotel are on upper floors, but ours overlooked a rooftop courtyard so it did not feel high (great for someone with fear of heights). The room featured attractive decor in warm colors. The armchair, ottoman, and beds were very comfortable and of good quality. The linens were also good quality and included a down comforter and both foam and feather pillows. The desk and dresser quality did not match that of the other furniture in the room but did provide lots of storage space. The room was sparkling clean and had good lighting. The hotel also had good security. It is located in a safe area of downtown, and the elevators can only be accessed with a room key. Women traveling alone can feel secure staying here.

The breakfast buffet was $8.95, which was reasonable for the variety offered, and the food was hot and fresh. A self-serve coffee and tea station is available 24 hours a day in the lobby. For fancier coffee, a Dean and Deluca and a Starbucks are within a couple of blocks.

Next to the front desk is a small store for convenience items as well as snacks, beverages, and a small offering of fresh salads and wraps. The front desk has basic toiletries (complimentary) if you forgot to pack them.

Service was almost always cheerful and efficient. The one exception was a surly front-desk clerk on Saturday morning, but all of the other employees we ran into at the hotel met us with a smile and hello.

Stayed March 2007