My wife and I just spent our anniversary at Ballantyne. We had a nice time but we considered it a one-time visit only. We live just over an hour from Charlotte. We travel quite extensively and know what to expect of a resort of this caliber. The resort is located just off Hwy 485 south of Charlotte. The website would have you believe based on the photos that the property is very much away from the commercial/retail area. One side of the main hotel views the commercial area and the other side views the golf course. It is by no stretch in a remote location - although it should be.
The hotel is well decorated and the staff was very courteous. Our room was well appointed and we liked the marble bath. The exhaust fan above the shower needed a good cleaning. The grout work in the shower is in need of a little attention but it was ok and clean. The king size bed was a little too firm for our taste. The television was a small-outdated CRT. I was surprised that a resort of this quality had not upgraded to LCD sets. The staff, as we expected, performed their nightly turn down service as well as cleaned up the room and refreshed our towels from our showers before dinner. The chocolates on the bed were of low quality.
The pool area was nice. On Saturday afternoon we played in the indoor heated pool. Their were some noisy children in the room as well. But they were having fun and kept to themselves. The whirlpool created a great deal of bubbles. They should check the chemicals to make sure that the laundry detergent and skin lotions that are inherently introduced through bathing suits do not make such large amounts of foam. On Sunday morning we had the entire pool to ourselves and it was very nice.
We were disappointed that the restaurant at the resort was under renovation and that dinner was being served in the mezzanine level overlooking the lobby. This could have been very nice but the overhead recessed canned lights with fluorescent bulbs did not evoke the atmosphere that we were expecting. The food was very good and the wait staff was attentive. I asked our waitress if anything could be done about the lights. She apologized and said that they got that complaint alot. In hindsight, I wish that I had asked the concierge to suggest another nearby dining establishment.
We did enjoy the live music on the grand piano in the spacious lobby after dinner. We sat in front of the fireplace and ordered after-dinner drinks.
On Sunday morning, I went to the lobby to buy some bagel's for breakfast and take them to the room. They had a continental breakfast selection set up at the bar. I thought it was a bit odd to have it in that location but maybe they needed it there because there was a register at that location to which we could pay or charge items to our room. The two bagels and one coffee was over $12!
Overall, it was a nice place but still not a place that I will probably return too. We thought that the room, food, drinks, and breakfast were all slightly over-priced even though we can well afford it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ballantyne, a Luxury Collection Hotel by Marriott, Charlotte welcomes guests with gracious service, elegant accommodations and abundant amenities. Explore the spa, seasonal outdoor pool, indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, tennis, golf, fitness, exquisite dining, 24 hour room service, afternoon tea and leisure offerings. The Ballantyne features beautiful hotel rooms, a lovely cottage and The Lodge at Ballantyne, a 35 room group retreat. Meeting and event planners are invited to view meeting and event facilities with spacious and picturesque outdoor venues, on-site group activities and creative culinary offerings. The Ballantyne is located within nine miles of SouthPark and Carowinds and within 18 miles of Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. In addition to its great accessibility to Charlotte’s impressive recreational and entertainment offerings, the hotel is set amidst shopping, dining, retail and the thriving Ballantyne community. Guests enjoy a complimentary shuttle within one mile and access to many dining and conveniences within walking distance and even more within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Ballantyne, Charlotte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantine Resort Charlotte