“Ballantyne - Nice but nothing to get overly excited about”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“Ballantyne - Nice but nothing to get overly excited about”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

My wife and I just spent our anniversary at Ballantyne. We had a nice time but we considered it a one-time visit only. We live just over an hour from Charlotte. We travel quite extensively and know what to expect of a resort of this caliber. The resort is located just off Hwy 485 south of Charlotte. The website would have you believe based on the photos that the property is very much away from the commercial/retail area. One side of the main hotel views the commercial area and the other side views the golf course. It is by no stretch in a remote location - although it should be.

The hotel is well decorated and the staff was very courteous. Our room was well appointed and we liked the marble bath. The exhaust fan above the shower needed a good cleaning. The grout work in the shower is in need of a little attention but it was ok and clean. The king size bed was a little too firm for our taste. The television was a small-outdated CRT. I was surprised that a resort of this quality had not upgraded to LCD sets. The staff, as we expected, performed their nightly turn down service as well as cleaned up the room and refreshed our towels from our showers before dinner. The chocolates on the bed were of low quality.

The pool area was nice. On Saturday afternoon we played in the indoor heated pool. Their were some noisy children in the room as well. But they were having fun and kept to themselves. The whirlpool created a great deal of bubbles. They should check the chemicals to make sure that the laundry detergent and skin lotions that are inherently introduced through bathing suits do not make such large amounts of foam. On Sunday morning we had the entire pool to ourselves and it was very nice.

We were disappointed that the restaurant at the resort was under renovation and that dinner was being served in the mezzanine level overlooking the lobby. This could have been very nice but the overhead recessed canned lights with fluorescent bulbs did not evoke the atmosphere that we were expecting. The food was very good and the wait staff was attentive. I asked our waitress if anything could be done about the lights. She apologized and said that they got that complaint alot. In hindsight, I wish that I had asked the concierge to suggest another nearby dining establishment.

We did enjoy the live music on the grand piano in the spacious lobby after dinner. We sat in front of the fireplace and ordered after-dinner drinks.

On Sunday morning, I went to the lobby to buy some bagel's for breakfast and take them to the room. They had a continental breakfast selection set up at the bar. I thought it was a bit odd to have it in that location but maybe they needed it there because there was a register at that location to which we could pay or charge items to our room. The two bagels and one coffee was over $12!

Overall, it was a nice place but still not a place that I will probably return too. We thought that the room, food, drinks, and breakfast were all slightly over-priced even though we can well afford it.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank World_Traveler_NC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed December 17, 2006

My husband and I were recently married and had our reception at the Ballantyne. It was amazing! The event manager was on the ball and helpful through the entire wedding process. On wedding day, the staff was courteous, prompt, and helpful. The food was awesome; it was presented and tasted just as it did during our pre-event tasting. Everything was as I expected and more. Nothing slipped through the cracks.
We stayed the Parlor Suite the night of our wedding. It was beautifully decorated, spacious, clean. In our room they had presented us with a chilled bottle of champagne, strawberries, and a beautiful floral arrangement. It was unexpected and nice. We had reserved a block of rooms for family and friends. No complaints from anyone.

• Liked — Staff, Food, Location, Beautiful Decor
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Married12206
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Wow, what a terrific property! Everything is 5-star at this place. The lobby is gorgeous, the fitness center features state-of-the-art workout equipment, the staff displays incredible Southern charm and hospitality, and the rooms are very spacious and nicely appointed. The sunken tub in the bathroom was a nice bonus! I highly, highly recommend this hotel. I can see why this hotel is part of the Starwood Luxury Collection.

Stayed November 2006
New York City
Reviewed November 9, 2006

Writing this review FROM the Ballantyne Resort. I booked a Spa Escape night package. Spa was great, but hotel is, well, not that great. How to put this... pretty to look at, but in a less than exciting location and unless you LOVE golf (and, well, I don't) then I don't quite understand why one would come here. On top of that, I just had to change my room as my "spa night" was booked next to a slumber party for a gaggle of 10-year old girls... VERY loud. They moved me OK, but now I am next to an outdoor event by the golf course and all I can hear is the bass from K.C. and the Sunshine Band's "Celebration," which has now played twice. Maybe if you live in NC and you want to splurge this place is great, but, if not, I would not go out of my way to stay here.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The noise!
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a masage here, then drive away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank nycdannyboy
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2006

First I have to say the exterior and interior of the hotel is beautiful! The Spa services are excellent as well. Very relaxing. The Ballantyne Village is across from the hotel - excellent night-life atmosphere.

It's the quality of service that I have to complain about. I stayed here for a mini-honeymoon. Earlier this year - Feb 2006. The honeymoon was paid for by my parents. The attendents at the front desk gave me grief because they couldn't understand why the room wasn't booked on my credit card. After the wedding and reception the last thing I felt like doing was arguing over whether a room was booked for me or not. The snobbish attendant finally admitted she was wrong and gave us the key to our rooms.

The following morning we ordered breakfast. It wasn't the greatest - it lacked flavor. Overpriced for the quality of food you received.

We enjoyed the indoor pool. We went to the pool around 10pm so fortunately we didn't experience the screaming children, like other reviewers. (Don't get me wrong I love children, but it was a romantic getaway I was looking for!)

During checkout we received the same grief and frustration that we recieved during check-in. They tried to charge us for staying in the room! I explained repeatedly the room was paid for. I asked her to look in her computer because it should be in the system. All the confusion totally washed out the relaxation we received from our massages. We were not offered any kind of compensation for the hassel we received. This is not the way I planned to spend my honeymoon. I definately would not go for the hotel stay again. The spa maybe . . .

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travl4life
Midville, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2006

For about three years, we have been faithful customers of the Ballantyne Resort in North Carolina. The service from the front valet, bell personnel, front desk, room service, golf shop and bar lounge is always excellent. The resort hotel is located off an interstate bypass near a suburb of Charlotte in an upscale neighborhood called (you guessed it!) Ballantyne. However, the suburban city limits is named Pineville(?). There is great dining and shopping within a short 3 mile radius drive in any direction. More specifically, Villa Antonio, an italian eatery, is an absolute first class Ballantyne dining choice. But, please be aware that, Villa Antonio has two locations so make sure to visit the recently opened Ballantyne location.

For shopping, the Carolina Place is one exit down from the resort with typical mall stores and chain restaurant dining. The resort property is well maintained with a very busy golf course, fully equipped fitness center and spa. The main restaurant has it highs and lows. Its highs are the breakfast buffet, lunch menu and Sunday brunch. Its low point is the dinner/evening meal offerings. The restaurant management needs to monitor food preparation and "jazz up" the menu.

All in all, we always stay at the Ballantyne for our family visits in Charlotte. But, we plan to visit the newly built Ritz Carlton as soon as the rooms are available for reservations.

• Liked — The consistent service and responsiveness from the front desk.
  • Disliked — The dinner menu needs to be "jazzed up".
  • Tips/Secrets — There are great restaurants directly across the street, off Johnston Road, and a shopping plaza adjacent to the golf shop area.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank I.Z.E.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2006

My fiancé and I stayed at this luxury hotel for our anniversary. The rooms were amazing, the pools were fabulous and the atmosphere was great. We happened to stay on a Saturday evening and it was great timing. On weekends, there was an entertainer in the lounge who entertains guests while friendly waitresses bring drinks. We loved the indoor lap pools and the view of the golf course at night. The location is close to several restaurants and nearby to shopping and the city. This is definitely a nice choice for a business traveler or a couple who just wants to getaway for the weekend.

• Liked — Indoor lap pools and the Sunday brunch
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you use SPG when booking.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bankexec