“Married @ Ballantyn- Better than I had expected!”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, NC
“Married @ Ballantyn- Better than I had expected!”
Reviewed December 17, 2006

My husband and I were recently married and had our reception at the Ballantyne. It was amazing! The event manager was on the ball and helpful through the entire wedding process. On wedding day, the staff was courteous, prompt, and helpful. The food was awesome; it was presented and tasted just as it did during our pre-event tasting. Everything was as I expected and more. Nothing slipped through the cracks.
We stayed the Parlor Suite the night of our wedding. It was beautifully decorated, spacious, clean. In our room they had presented us with a chilled bottle of champagne, strawberries, and a beautiful floral arrangement. It was unexpected and nice. We had reserved a block of rooms for family and friends. No complaints from anyone.

• Liked — Staff, Food, Location, Beautiful Decor
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Married12206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Wow, what a terrific property! Everything is 5-star at this place. The lobby is gorgeous, the fitness center features state-of-the-art workout equipment, the staff displays incredible Southern charm and hospitality, and the rooms are very spacious and nicely appointed. The sunken tub in the bathroom was a nice bonus! I highly, highly recommend this hotel. I can see why this hotel is part of the Starwood Luxury Collection.

Stayed November 2006
New York City
Reviewed November 9, 2006

Writing this review FROM the Ballantyne Resort. I booked a Spa Escape night package. Spa was great, but hotel is, well, not that great. How to put this... pretty to look at, but in a less than exciting location and unless you LOVE golf (and, well, I don't) then I don't quite understand why one would come here. On top of that, I just had to change my room as my "spa night" was booked next to a slumber party for a gaggle of 10-year old girls... VERY loud. They moved me OK, but now I am next to an outdoor event by the golf course and all I can hear is the bass from K.C. and the Sunshine Band's "Celebration," which has now played twice. Maybe if you live in NC and you want to splurge this place is great, but, if not, I would not go out of my way to stay here.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The noise!
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a masage here, then drive away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank nycdannyboy
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2006

First I have to say the exterior and interior of the hotel is beautiful! The Spa services are excellent as well. Very relaxing. The Ballantyne Village is across from the hotel - excellent night-life atmosphere.

It's the quality of service that I have to complain about. I stayed here for a mini-honeymoon. Earlier this year - Feb 2006. The honeymoon was paid for by my parents. The attendents at the front desk gave me grief because they couldn't understand why the room wasn't booked on my credit card. After the wedding and reception the last thing I felt like doing was arguing over whether a room was booked for me or not. The snobbish attendant finally admitted she was wrong and gave us the key to our rooms.

The following morning we ordered breakfast. It wasn't the greatest - it lacked flavor. Overpriced for the quality of food you received.

We enjoyed the indoor pool. We went to the pool around 10pm so fortunately we didn't experience the screaming children, like other reviewers. (Don't get me wrong I love children, but it was a romantic getaway I was looking for!)

During checkout we received the same grief and frustration that we recieved during check-in. They tried to charge us for staying in the room! I explained repeatedly the room was paid for. I asked her to look in her computer because it should be in the system. All the confusion totally washed out the relaxation we received from our massages. We were not offered any kind of compensation for the hassel we received. This is not the way I planned to spend my honeymoon. I definately would not go for the hotel stay again. The spa maybe . . .

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travl4life
Midville, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2006

For about three years, we have been faithful customers of the Ballantyne Resort in North Carolina. The service from the front valet, bell personnel, front desk, room service, golf shop and bar lounge is always excellent. The resort hotel is located off an interstate bypass near a suburb of Charlotte in an upscale neighborhood called (you guessed it!) Ballantyne. However, the suburban city limits is named Pineville(?). There is great dining and shopping within a short 3 mile radius drive in any direction. More specifically, Villa Antonio, an italian eatery, is an absolute first class Ballantyne dining choice. But, please be aware that, Villa Antonio has two locations so make sure to visit the recently opened Ballantyne location.

For shopping, the Carolina Place is one exit down from the resort with typical mall stores and chain restaurant dining. The resort property is well maintained with a very busy golf course, fully equipped fitness center and spa. The main restaurant has it highs and lows. Its highs are the breakfast buffet, lunch menu and Sunday brunch. Its low point is the dinner/evening meal offerings. The restaurant management needs to monitor food preparation and "jazz up" the menu.

All in all, we always stay at the Ballantyne for our family visits in Charlotte. But, we plan to visit the newly built Ritz Carlton as soon as the rooms are available for reservations.

• Liked — The consistent service and responsiveness from the front desk.
  • Disliked — The dinner menu needs to be "jazzed up".
  • Tips/Secrets — There are great restaurants directly across the street, off Johnston Road, and a shopping plaza adjacent to the golf shop area.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank I.Z.E.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2006

My fiancé and I stayed at this luxury hotel for our anniversary. The rooms were amazing, the pools were fabulous and the atmosphere was great. We happened to stay on a Saturday evening and it was great timing. On weekends, there was an entertainer in the lounge who entertains guests while friendly waitresses bring drinks. We loved the indoor lap pools and the view of the golf course at night. The location is close to several restaurants and nearby to shopping and the city. This is definitely a nice choice for a business traveler or a couple who just wants to getaway for the weekend.

• Liked — Indoor lap pools and the Sunday brunch
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you use SPG when booking.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bankexec
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2006

I stayed at the Ballantyne from April 24-28, 2006. The hotel, grounds and amenities are exquisite, but it's the people that work here that are truly exceptional. This was my first trip to NC, and for a difficult reason, but these people made lasting impressions with their professionalism, kindness and warm smiles...Diana, Taryn, Terri, Amber, Monika, Phillip, Doug, Fayd, Nate, Rebecca, Patricia, and Ed. They take care of you above and beyond what you'd ever expect, and always with a smile and willingness to do anything to make your stay perfect. I arrived a stranger and left feeling like I made many friends. Truly outstanding. It is simply the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed at in the USA. I just can't say enough good things about this place and very special people that work there. I do want to say THANK YOU!! I'll never forget your hospitality!!

• Stayed April 2006