“Great place for event”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte
“Great place for event”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We recently had a family gathering at this location and the service was great. The pace provided was wonderful, private and comfortable. My son, had spent the night and his room was excellent. They also really enjoyed the pool.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill C
Ballantyne H, General Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Bill C,
Thank you for hosting your family gathering with us, and we’re delighted you had a wonderful experience. We were also pleased to read that your son had an enjoyable stay. Our entire team is dedicated to providing our guests with enjoyable experiences. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Peter Grills

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Scotland
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stayed here for one night at the start of a business trip. It was the best start to a very busy week I could have hoped for. Next time I will try and travel a day earlier to have more time here.

The rooms were comfortable and clean. It was a fairly traditional style of decor but didn't feel old or faded at all. I very much appreciated that the air-con was quiet enough not to disturb my sleep. The bar and restaurant areas were very nice too. I have decided the best cure for jetlag was to sit in the evening sun on the veranda with a nice cocktail. The waitress was great and looked after me well. Its a lovely view over the golf course from there.

I really enjoyed my breakfast in the restaurant but it was very formal for an evening meal and the only alternative seemed to be the bar area in reception. It wasn't a problem as room service was good and prompt.

There is a lovely pool area with great service around the pool too.

I will be back before too long I hope!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Terz,
Thank you for staying with us at The Ballantyne, and we are happy that we started your time in Charlotte off on the right note. We appreciate your kind words regarding our accommodations, Gallery Restaurant, service, food, room service and pool area and value your feedback regarding the restaurant atmosphere. We are committed to continuing to elevate the guest experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I went to Charlotte for the first time and stayed at the Ballantyne Hotel (affiliate of Starwood’s for all those SPG-ers out there). I didn’t use many of the amenities but did get to lay out by the pool one morning. The pool is only about 5.5ft at the deepest end which is great for the kids or just for those who like to be able to stand up in the pool. The pool was also perfect temperature, but I felt it was a bit lack luster in terms of ambiance. I had 2 complaints:

1) Pool: You can hear some traffic off the main road, and there’s not much of a view. Additionally, there was one really good staff by the pool, but the rest seemed young and only there for the summer so the service was lacking. It was only 4pm and they started closing out checks, and cleaning up the cushions off seats. It was very distracting and kept feeling like we were getting rushed out of the pool. Additionally one staff pulled out a tarp, and was dragging it across the deck area and bumped into my legs as I sat on my chair and kept dragging the tarp.
2) Door: Our door would not open on the first try, we had to try 3-4 times and jiggle the door before it would open. They sent up a handyman to fix it but it was still difficult to open afterwards and the access to our key kept deactivating.

However, the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious and clean. Overall I’d stay here again, and maybe utilize some of the spa amenities next time.

Ballantyne is brand new area and is better for work / golf. We did drive uptown as well and was a better laid back vibe for vacationing. ALso we had to drive about 45mins-1hr away for a drive in movie theatre. It's something I always wanted to try and was very fun!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ballantyne H, General Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear travellingbug95,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your first visit to Charlotte. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We apologize for any inconvenience related to difficulty with door access and appreciate your feedback regarding the outdoor pool. We take all comments very seriously and have shared them with the executive team. Our staff is committed to providing our guests with memorable stays, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

pittsburgh,PA
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here last year en route to Charleston. I had very fond memories of our previous stay. On this occasion, the hotel appeared to be hosting a reception, not sure for who but my guess was some sort of entertainer. There was quite a bit of hustle and bustle as we passed through the lobby. I have to question the type of clientele they are catering to. I say this because, on our floor, one guest had a very large body guard posted in the hallway in front of his room. Unless you're an actual celebriyt or government offical that seemed a bit strange and just a little disturbing. Aside from this, it would not have been an issue except that his presence generated considerable noise. All night people would arrive on the floor and chat in the hallway. I was woken repeatedly by his cell phone ringer. I brought this to the night manager's attention 3 times, and they did very little to resolve the situation. At one point, the night manager said that when I checked in, the front desk person had asked me if I was okay staying on the same floor as this group. And suggested Iagreed. As someone who values her sleep, I was never asked nor agreed to stay on the obvious 'party floor'. I also thought it was dispappointing that the hotel could have been a littel gracious to follow up in the morningafter I had called so many times duirng the night. They did nothing to make ammends. Furhtermore, after I filled out their online survey- I recieved a perfunctory email from a representative that did nothing to make me think that my experience mattered to them. I would probably look to stay some place else next time we pass through Charlotte.

Room Tip: be very clear if you want to have a quiet room- this should not be assumed
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank reddyn
Dear reddyn,

Thank you for returning to The Ballantyne and for sharing your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience related to noise during your stay. Our top priority is the comfort of our guests, and again, we are sorry we fell short in this area. Thank you again for sharing your comments, which will help us in our efforts to better the guest experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Unless you're staying in Charlotte for business in the Ballantyne area, I'd recommend a hotel uptown for a similar experience and better location for less cost. The hotel is extremely nice, the views of the golf course are spectacular, but the rooms themselves leave a little to be desired. They're relatively small and the bathrooms are awkwardly arranged--very small sink with no counter space and no shower curtain. I will say the room service is spectacular, but I won't be a repeat visitor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank JAR14
Dear allenrigby,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our hotel, golf course and room service and value your comments related to our accommodations. We apologize that our guest rooms fell short of your expectations, and we have shared your feedback with our executive team. Thank you again for your comments, which will help us in our efforts to elevate the guest experience.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

From the monogrammed towels and bathrobes, spa quality toiletries, and comfy bed, everything is first class at the Ballamtyne. Great service and rooms. Only had catered food for a conference but it was very good. Deserves its high ratings.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ballantyne H, General Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Mark S,

Thank you for staying with us during a conference and for your positive comments. We value your feedback regarding our accommodation, amenities and catering. Our entire team is committed to providing our guests have wonderful experiences, and we appreciate you affirming our top marks. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I hadn't been in Charlotte, NC, for some time, and I attended a meeting there with a large group. The service at the hotel was very good, and the rooms quite comfortable. The food for our large group was very good. The views are nice overlooking the golf course. We did a trip to the NASCAR Hall of Fame, which was a lot of fun. The group rate we received was reasonable for a quality hotel such as this. The Ballantyne would be great for a short getaway. Enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Golf course view is nice.
Green Features: They did have a number of environmentally-friendly practices, including sheets/towels laundry options
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear caukwiphyllis,
Thank you for staying with us for a meeting and for sharing your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our service, accommodations, food and views. We are happy that you had a chance to visit one of the Queen City’s top attractions and appreciate that you found the hotel to be a good value. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.