“excellent service and amenities for the price”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
nc
“excellent service and amenities for the price”
Reviewed March 16, 2008

a first class hotel, with amenities that would rank with the best hotels in the world for less than half of what it would cost to stay in a big city. a great place to relax and get away from it all, the lobby is gracious and feels like a private club with large leather chairs grouped for conversation with beautiful light filtering in from the wall to ceiling windows going up to the mezzanine. outside, there is a wide, gracious veranda overlooking the golf course and fountains where you can have coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon and drinks in the evening as well as get served from an elegant bar menu. the rooms are lovely and gracious as well although i would reccomend getting one facing the golf course if you can afford it--the other view is of a busy 4 laned road and a shopping area. everything about the hotel was top notch--excellent attentive service, the interior decor was sophisticated and elegant with fresh flowers (bouquets of easter lillies perfuming the lobby as you walk in), the bathrooms are spacious and marble and the linens are high count cotton, smooth on your skin and soft but not limp. i did not indulge in the spa, the fittness center, the golf or the pool (small and loud but pretty) but they looked appealing. i have paid double what i paid here (approx $250/night) for similar accomodations in hawaii and triple in new york city. if you are in the area, treat yourself and enjoy a good value for the money.

• Liked — the gorgeous private club atmosphere of the lobby and the veranda
  • Disliked — the view from the non golf course facing rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2008

ACCOMODATIONS
Before moving to Charlotte, I decided to stay at the Ballantyne resort for a weekend. I didn't realize how far away the hotel was in relation to Uptown (35 minutes) or Southpark (20 minutes) area (where my office is located). Driving to either of these locations during morning/evening traffic can be quite a hassle since the hotel is in the suburbs, but most people visiting the hotel aren't on business. The hotel room was about 300 sq feet with a panoramic view of the surrounding Ballantyne area. Unfortunately, half of the rooms face the highway; the others face the golf course. The hotel is located in a bedroom community, so there really aren't many high rises or tall buildings in the area. Parking was free. Across the street in Ballantyne Village are plenty of restaurants and bars should you tire of the cuisine offered and guests at the hotel.

SPA and GOLF
The spa services were overall great, and its location within the hotel didn't require mingling with non-spa guests, especially should you choose to have lunch. I decided to have the grilled salmon with mixed vegetables and found it larger than expected (relative to spa portions). Most spa meals that I've had elsewhere are miniscule and could hardly be considered more than an appetizer. If you choose the full-day with lunch option, a glass of wine or beer is complimentary. The sunroom where most people will wait for their next services has complimentary coffee, tea, and spa water flavored with lemon or cucumber. The locker area has a steam/sauna room which all spa guests may use. The only aspect ot the experience that I found to be disappointing is that I had two female employees walk-in on me before and after the massage while I was disrobed. What happened to knocking? I mentioned this to the check-out person before leaving. She was extremely apologetic and offered a discount for future services.

Although I've never taken lessons at the Dana Rader school, the feedback from most of my local contacts has been positive. It seems to be a resource for locals and hotel guests, rather than a trap for the unsuspecting visitor to Charlotte.

• Liked — Luxurious accomodations and excellent customer service
  • Disliked — Distance from Uptown life. It's sleepy in the burbs.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenipapo
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2008

It was a wonderful Mini vacation. I wanted to take a trip not to far away, but had the same time have the far away pamper feeling. This is the best spot and hotel to accomplish both. They treat you like royalty, The spa is great and if you want a REAL MASSAGE you must get the Four Hand massage. It is done by two massage therapists but I will promise you it will feel like one person with four hands.

The only thing I would have changed is that I would have used the pool and the Jacuzzi. Also the one recommendation for the hotel is to upgrade to LCD flat panels I stayed at Embassy Suites with better TV's.

The view was really nice; we had a great view of the golf course.

Room Service was great and it was wonderful just to relax and this is a great place to do that. Oh yea the bed was one of the most comfortable beds that I have every slept on.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — The TV, Nothing is complimentary (I guess that is how it is with resorts)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Little Silver, New Jersey
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I was a little hesitant to stay here with 2 children (8 yrs & 4 yrs) after looking at the website...but we had a great time. We chose the hotel because it's location was close to friends we were visiting in Charlotte...and found it was a great area when we got there.

The hotel is beautiful, and the employees very friendly and helpful. They all know your name from the minute you check in! The room was great, and the bathroom is huge! (separate bath and shower) Everything is very clean. The bedding is very comfortable, and thick fluffy robes are hanging in the room. Pool and workout facilities are very nice.

The beds are a little high, and the hotel does not have bed rails to lend...so I recommend bringing bed rails with you if you have small children.

We will definitely be returning!

• Liked — Beautiful & clean bedroom and bath, service
  • Disliked — Location, depending on what you're doing in Charlotte
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed February 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ballantyne resort for 1 night to celebrate our anniversary. We were able to obtain a "holiday" special for Valentine's day ($189 plus tax) but it certainly was not offered when I called the property direct. I had found it online and called the hotel as I always do just to make sure it was the best available. When I told her my dates (I believe I was transferred to an offsite call center--not speaking with someone direct at hotel) she started quoting me rates much higher and never mentioned this one. I really had to press it and the rep did not sound happy that I already knew of this, so this turned me off a little bit.
It was noted in our reservation that we were there celebrating an anniversary, so I was greeted with a "Happy Anniversary!" from the front desk clerk, but there were no other special "treats" or anything. I wasn't sure why the reservationist made such a big deal about noting it, as from a place like this I thought they would do some small nicety. This also may've had something to do with the rate we paid, I don't know. Maybe they figured we already got the special deal so no extras. =)
When we entered the room the furnishings are beautiful and very upscale as you would expect. Soft music was playing on our Bose clock radio, and they had done all the little luxurious touches with bath salts, etc. by the large tub. (Nice large tub, but no jets) The bed linens are the best you will find anywhere....unbelievable! Very comfortable bed...only one I have ever slept in that was a comfortable as mine at home.
The grounds here are beautiful. They have two bars and a somewhat formal and upscale restaurant called the Gallery.
We had a drink in the bar, but did not eat at the restaurant as Ballantyne Village is just directly across the street and has many choices.
The pool is SO beautiful. I'm sorry we didn't get to use it. There is a hot tub, main pool, and two small exercise pools (current pools).
The staff is trained well to please and go way out to exceed courteous or just polite. They all chimed greetings or goodbyes to us as we would enter and leave the lobby.
The other thing we missed that I would've loved to partake in was the hotel has a formal english tea in the afternoons in the lobby sitting area by a burning fireplace. Very nice.
If you are going for a romantic weekend this is a perfect choice in the Charlotte area...there are not many 4 star hotels around.
I would highly recommend it for couples or business travelers.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed December 30, 2007

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel for Christmas. The staff are very helpful and curtious. I really enjoyed the special treatment. The only problem I had was that they didn't accomodate their paying guests for the Christmas brunch. They did not mention it to us at check in and when I called to book a table, they could not accomodate us. I think they should have kept a couple of tables open for guests who were staying at the resort. We ended up ordering room service later that day and it was plenty of food.

The inside of the hotel is much nicer than the plain outside of the hotel. The grounds are very nice and parking is free to guests unless you use the valet service.

I would stay again.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The staff judged you based on your jewelry, clothing, tips, cars, etc...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicehotelbut
North Carolina
Reviewed December 23, 2007

We just spent a nice pre-Christmas weekend at the Ballantyne. It is 17 miles from downtown in congested Charlotte traffic. Location is probably good for businessmen visiting the area.

Staff: courteous, helpful

Room: nicely furnished, though no coffee maker; coffee and rolls were for sale at the downstairs bar, in addition to full dining room meal. Wireless internet service was $10 a day; computer use in the business center was free. Only small room glitch was a hair dryer that didn't work and wasn't replaced.

Workout room: weight machines plus 8 cardio machines--treadmill, glider and bike with traditional seat. I would have liked a recumbent bike (easier to sit on) and elliptical (easier on legs).
Water, towels and individual tv's were on hand.

Spa: Relaxing waiting lounge, complete amenities, good massage therapist. Wall between massage rooms is very thin; the other therapist knocked on the wall as we were talking, so I was asked to talk in a whisper.

Restaurant: We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast buffet was adequate, with lots of fruit plus the scrambled eggs, meats, smoked salmon, pastries, cereal. I wanted toast, but it was $2 extra, so I had a (fattening) croisssant. Lunch menu was tasty---salads, sandwiches, entrees. Dinner was very good (except for salty vegetables), menu not very innovative, probably because of the visiting businessmen. Dinner rolls were fantastic gougeres, gruyere popovers. Portions were too big (for those visiting businessmen).

Bar: The pianist/singer was excellent (sorry I didn't get his name), one of the best hotel lounge musicians I've heard in a long time.

I would definitely return to the Ballantyne, except for its location. We usually go to Charlotte for a play or museum, and the Ballantyne is a bit far.

• Liked — Upscale ambience, spa
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple