Before moving to Charlotte, I decided to stay at the Ballantyne resort for a weekend. I didn't realize how far away the hotel was in relation to Uptown (35 minutes) or Southpark (20 minutes) area (where my office is located). Driving to either of these locations during morning/evening traffic can be quite a hassle since the hotel is in the suburbs, but most people visiting the hotel aren't on business. The hotel room was about 300 sq feet with a panoramic view of the surrounding Ballantyne area. Unfortunately, half of the rooms face the highway; the others face the golf course. The hotel is located in a bedroom community, so there really aren't many high rises or tall buildings in the area. Parking was free. Across the street in Ballantyne Village are plenty of restaurants and bars should you tire of the cuisine offered and guests at the hotel.
SPA and GOLF
The spa services were overall great, and its location within the hotel didn't require mingling with non-spa guests, especially should you choose to have lunch. I decided to have the grilled salmon with mixed vegetables and found it larger than expected (relative to spa portions). Most spa meals that I've had elsewhere are miniscule and could hardly be considered more than an appetizer. If you choose the full-day with lunch option, a glass of wine or beer is complimentary. The sunroom where most people will wait for their next services has complimentary coffee, tea, and spa water flavored with lemon or cucumber. The locker area has a steam/sauna room which all spa guests may use. The only aspect ot the experience that I found to be disappointing is that I had two female employees walk-in on me before and after the massage while I was disrobed. What happened to knocking? I mentioned this to the check-out person before leaving. She was extremely apologetic and offered a discount for future services.
Although I've never taken lessons at the Dana Rader school, the feedback from most of my local contacts has been positive. It seems to be a resource for locals and hotel guests, rather than a trap for the unsuspecting visitor to Charlotte.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ballantyne, a Luxury Collection Hotel by Marriott, Charlotte welcomes guests with gracious service, elegant accommodations and abundant amenities. Explore the spa, seasonal outdoor pool, indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, tennis, golf, fitness, exquisite dining, 24 hour room service, afternoon tea and leisure offerings. The Ballantyne features beautiful hotel rooms, a lovely cottage and The Lodge at Ballantyne, a 35 room group retreat. Meeting and event planners are invited to view meeting and event facilities with spacious and picturesque outdoor venues, on-site group activities and creative culinary offerings. The Ballantyne is located within nine miles of SouthPark and Carowinds and within 18 miles of Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. In addition to its great accessibility to Charlotte’s impressive recreational and entertainment offerings, the hotel is set amidst shopping, dining, retail and the thriving Ballantyne community. Guests enjoy a complimentary shuttle within one mile and access to many dining and conveniences within walking distance and even more within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Ballantyne, Charlotte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantine Resort Charlotte