I wanted to stay at the Ballantyne, but had my doubts. Although most of the reviews were excellent, there were still some that made you think twice. Since I wanted this vacation to be awesome and since I was going to book two rooms instead of one, it was going to be a bit pricey, and I wanted to be darned sure I wasn't going to be disappointed.
But I realize that people rate hotels based on their personal life experiences. Life experiences shape our opinions and expectations. What might be good for one person is a disaster for another. That said, I've stayed at some of the most expensive accommodations and I have reasonable (at least I think so (LOL) expectations. I am a moderate "germaphobe" by nature, and go nuts if a bathroom is not spotless. So, based on this information, below is what I experienced at the Ballantyne Hotel. I traveled with my husband and 14 year old daughter.
The Good - My experience was excellent. The staff, hotel, and rooms were very pleasant. The bathroom was wicked clean, and the beds were amazing - it feels as if a cloud engulfed you once you get in. They also add nice touches such as robes, evening chocolates and bottled water and ice.
It was our anniversary, so when we arrived, they gave my husband and me a red rose along with a very nice card of congratulations. Everyone seemed very eager to assist us and they made us feel very special. I read suggestions on this site that we should book on the 2nd floor, and I was glad we did because there is a wrap around lounge on this floor where you can just sit and read the paper or a book and have some quiet time. One of the guests had a wedding event the second day, and I thought it would interfere or be too loud, but that was not the case. Oh yeah, the towels were very luxuriant and smelled amazing, too.
The hotel is in close proximity to nice restaurants and other shops, which my daugher loved. We were able to drive 2 minutes away and grab delicious pizza and return without much travel. If you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurant, The Gallery, then being able to find a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and other familiar joints so close, is a definite plus.
The Bad - There isn't much to write about in this category. The only grip we had was that they have a snack cabinet with overpriced goodies and if you moved something, it automatically billed you. Why have such a cabinet if your guests can't enjoy themselves without worrying about whether or not they're billed in error. Either inplement the "honor" system, or just get rid of the snack cabinet altogether. It was a little insulting, in my opinion.
The Ugly - The exterior of the hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. The appearance isn't bad, it just needs to be freshened up so that the real thing reflects the picture on their website. Other than that, I felt the decor and all areas of the hotel were nice.
I had a spa treatment and really enjoyed it. The spa was very well appointed and I really felt like a new woman once it was all done. The staff at the spa could have been a bit more friendly. They seemed very 'stuffy" and detached.
So, all in all, I had a wonderful trip at the Ballantyne and I would come back again. It was really very nice. Hope this helps someone who is planning a trip to Charlotte.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ballantyne, a Luxury Collection Hotel by Marriott, Charlotte welcomes guests with gracious service, elegant accommodations and abundant amenities. Explore the spa, seasonal outdoor pool, indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, tennis, golf, fitness, exquisite dining, 24 hour room service, afternoon tea and leisure offerings. The Ballantyne features beautiful hotel rooms, a lovely cottage and The Lodge at Ballantyne, a 35 room group retreat. Meeting and event planners are invited to view meeting and event facilities with spacious and picturesque outdoor venues, on-site group activities and creative culinary offerings. The Ballantyne is located within nine miles of SouthPark and Carowinds and within 18 miles of Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. In addition to its great accessibility to Charlotte’s impressive recreational and entertainment offerings, the hotel is set amidst shopping, dining, retail and the thriving Ballantyne community. Guests enjoy a complimentary shuttle within one mile and access to many dining and conveniences within walking distance and even more within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Ballantyne, Charlotte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantine Resort Charlotte