“I Was Skeptical At First”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grayson, Georgia
“I Was Skeptical At First”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I wanted to stay at the Ballantyne, but had my doubts. Although most of the reviews were excellent, there were still some that made you think twice. Since I wanted this vacation to be awesome and since I was going to book two rooms instead of one, it was going to be a bit pricey, and I wanted to be darned sure I wasn't going to be disappointed.

But I realize that people rate hotels based on their personal life experiences. Life experiences shape our opinions and expectations. What might be good for one person is a disaster for another. That said, I've stayed at some of the most expensive accommodations and I have reasonable (at least I think so (LOL) expectations. I am a moderate "germaphobe" by nature, and go nuts if a bathroom is not spotless. So, based on this information, below is what I experienced at the Ballantyne Hotel. I traveled with my husband and 14 year old daughter.

The Good - My experience was excellent. The staff, hotel, and rooms were very pleasant. The bathroom was wicked clean, and the beds were amazing - it feels as if a cloud engulfed you once you get in. They also add nice touches such as robes, evening chocolates and bottled water and ice.

It was our anniversary, so when we arrived, they gave my husband and me a red rose along with a very nice card of congratulations. Everyone seemed very eager to assist us and they made us feel very special. I read suggestions on this site that we should book on the 2nd floor, and I was glad we did because there is a wrap around lounge on this floor where you can just sit and read the paper or a book and have some quiet time. One of the guests had a wedding event the second day, and I thought it would interfere or be too loud, but that was not the case. Oh yeah, the towels were very luxuriant and smelled amazing, too.

The hotel is in close proximity to nice restaurants and other shops, which my daugher loved. We were able to drive 2 minutes away and grab delicious pizza and return without much travel. If you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurant, The Gallery, then being able to find a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and other familiar joints so close, is a definite plus.

The Bad - There isn't much to write about in this category. The only grip we had was that they have a snack cabinet with overpriced goodies and if you moved something, it automatically billed you. Why have such a cabinet if your guests can't enjoy themselves without worrying about whether or not they're billed in error. Either inplement the "honor" system, or just get rid of the snack cabinet altogether. It was a little insulting, in my opinion.

The Ugly - The exterior of the hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. The appearance isn't bad, it just needs to be freshened up so that the real thing reflects the picture on their website. Other than that, I felt the decor and all areas of the hotel were nice.

I had a spa treatment and really enjoyed it. The spa was very well appointed and I really felt like a new woman once it was all done. The staff at the spa could have been a bit more friendly. They seemed very 'stuffy" and detached.

So, all in all, I had a wonderful trip at the Ballantyne and I would come back again. It was really very nice. Hope this helps someone who is planning a trip to Charlotte.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on 2nd floor, golf course view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bev N
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Bev N,
Thank you for choosing The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge for your recent vacation and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff, hotel, accommodations and amenities. Additionally, we really value your feedback regarding our refreshment center, exterior and spa experience. We take all feedback very seriously, and we have shared your comments with our management team. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we are dedicated to providing the best experiences for our guests and we are driven by continuous improvement. Again, thank you for your feedback, which will help us in our daily efforts to enhance our offerings. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Newtown, CT
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We loved out room and the hotel's layout in general. However, don't eat in the restaurant! Inferior food, slow service, and unappealing menu. The staff is cordial and accommodating and very quick to respond to emails. Since our 20th Anniversary Dinner was ruined in the restaurant, the general manager offered us a complimentary stay in the future. Now, that's accommodating!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Grammarian1966,
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 20th Anniversary at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and overall layout and value your comments regarding our restaurant. We apologize that our restaurant fell short of your expectations. At Gallery Restaurant, we strive to provide a flavorful and memorable dining experience. We take all feedback very seriously and have shared your feedback with our management team. We were happy to see that you have connected with our general manager. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel is real class. I held my wedding there a few weeks ago and from my first day visiting until now, I have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness. The staff is one of the most professional I have ever experienced. True southern hospitality! They will treat you like family no matter what walk of life you are from.

When you enter the hotel you are officially "away". You can trust this staff with your most precious moments. They will take care of you. The hotel is gorgeous and constantly being updated. My guests have not stopped raving about how well taken care of they were and how the staff couldn't do enough to help while they were there. They made the planning process easy for my wedding and took first class care of me and my family.

We also rented the cottage that lies across the golf course from the main hotel. This home is gorgeous and was perfect for our after reception party. It was also a great place for my bridal party to get ready and relax before, during, and after the wedding.

I highly recommend this hotel whether it is for a night away or a large event like a wedding. They will make it a memorable stay either way!

Room Tip: The rooms at the "lodge" are larger and very beautiful if you can get a room there. It is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear msoculato,
Thank you for hosting your wedding at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your positive experience. We were delighted to read your kind words regarding the entire wedding process – from planning to the big day. Thank you for your compliments regarding our staff, hotel and cottage. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we are dedicated to providing a memorable and special experience for all of our guests. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and best wishes to you and your husband. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Charlotte,NC
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend for our "Babymoon". We’re from the area but staying at Ballanytne made me feel as if we were in another city and truly on vacation. Check in was smooth. Our room had a view of the golf course (18th hole) and driving range. The spa was wonderful. I would definitely go back. My husband did go to the driving range and said it was “very nice”. We did enjoy breakfast at The Gallery Restaurant. We went back for dinner but it wasn’t anything special. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear qcgirl,
Thank you for spending your “Babymoon” at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments regarding check-in, accommodations, spa, the driving range and breakfast. At The Ballantyne, we are dedicated to providing our guests with an enjoyable escape. We’re so pleased that you truly felt like you were on vacation. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Average hotel, advertising itself as an exclusive resort.

We booked reservations here, as part of a wedding package - even though we knew the
Charlotte area well, from frequent visits because of family obligations. Our expectations far exceeded the hotel's delivery, with the exception of the post-wedding family breakfast.

You could easily chose one of the many surrounding standard motels, and receive the same
- if not MORE - room amenties without being nickled and dimed to death. In Texas, it's known as ALL Hat - NO Cattle.

Easily added THIS hotel to the "Been there, done that, don't need to repeat it." list.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trainmaster78
Dear Trainmaster78,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Our team is committed to providing our guests with memorable, enjoyable stays, and we are disappointed that we did not live up to the fine experience that we strive to provide. We have shared your comments with our hotel management team. We did want to share that we now provide in-room coffee makers in all guest rooms and offer complimentary wireless internet in the lobby. Thank you again for your feedback, which will help us in our efforts to provide a better experience to our guests.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge as part of a wedding group. My first impression was that the hotel reminded me of luxury hotels I've stayed at in New York and Boston. That is both a good comparison and a not-so-good one. On the good side, the room was very nice, the bed more than comfortable, the bathroom luxurious. On the not-so-good side are the fact that you have to pay extra for WiFi. I mean, come on! Motel 6 doesn't even charge for WiFi! Plus, if you want to use a PC in the Business Center, there is a charge for that as well. Also, the way they have the minibar set up, you cannot put ANYTHING of your own in the fridge to stay cool or else you will be charged when you take it out. Not exactly sure how this works, but a sign on the fridge says that you are charged by weight, any time something is removed from the fridge. Again, I stay at much less expensive hotels all the time, and I can ALWAYS use the fridge! Next is the difficulty I had finding the outdoor pool. The indoor pool and fitness center were very easy to find, right off the elevator on the lower level. But I had to go outside and wander around on a very small sidewalk in order to reach the outdoor pool. Then trying to get back into the hotel, you kind of have to go through the Spa, which they don't want you doing. (One note on the fitness center, it was great except they need to get an elliptical machine!)

My final comment concerns the electronic locking system on the guest room doors. From the minute we checked in and first tried to use our key, it took five or six tries before the green light came on and we could open the door. My husband went back to the front desk to see if they could give us better keys. The desk clerk told him there was nothing wrong with the keys, he just must be doing it wrong. When my husband pushed back on that (we are not idiots and we travel a LOT) the clerk acknowledged that you kind of have to jiggle them and try them several times, but new keys would not resolve that. We muddled through with the slightly defective keys, but then found out that other guests were having the same problem, which makes me think the problem is the locks!

Bottom line: I'm glad i had the experience of staying at The Ballantyne Hotel, but when I make future trips to Charlotte, which I do with some frequency, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank trnmgr
Dear trnmgr,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your kind words regarding our accommodations. We apologize for any inconvenience due to our pool location and key card access. At The Ballantyne, our goal is to provide an effortless experience for our guests, and we are sorry that we did not meet the high standards of service that we strive to maintain. We want our guests to feel welcome and to be able to access their rooms easily. Thank you for your comments regarding our internet charges and minibar. We do offer complimentary wireless access in the main lobby. We take all feedback very seriously and have shared your comments with our hotel management. Your comments will help us in our continuous efforts to improve our service and offerings.

Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked a romantic weekend meetup for me and my girlfriend at the Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge July 27th - 29th. Taking advantage of some of the special offers available on their website meant that the price was comparable to most other Charlotte hotels; But the experience was heads and shoulders above the rest. From the time your arrive and hand your keys to the valet they make you feel at home. From the bartender to the bellhop, the entire staff was welcoming and friendly. The on-site restaurant was exceptional and one of the best meals we had all weekend. The next morning my girlfriend and I abandoned our plans and spent a lazy morning in the hotel ordering breakfast from room service which was delivered with a smile. The breakfast itself was wonderful. After exploring the grounds, the spa, the pool (which was a bit busy), my girlfriend and I borrowed clubs from the Hotel (for free) and went to the golf course for an hour. When we returned the maid service had done a wonderful job on our room and even straitened up my romantic decorations :-). From check-in to check-out we had a wonderful experience. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear BburgTravler,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and really value your positive comments regarding the arrival experience, restaurant, in-room dining and amenities. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we are dedicated to providing a truly memorable and special experience. We look forward to welcoming you back!