“Nice place, One bad experience”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was our second stay at the Ballantyne, and the hotel is very nice and comfortable. The lobby is well appointed with plenty of seating and a nice bar to grab a drink or a snack. Overall both experiences have been very good, with one exception the service at the pool area was awful. At 12:30ish we order a beer and a diet coke, about 30 minutes later they show up with the excuse that they ran out of cups, really at 12:30 by the pool which was not crowded you run out of cups, not buying it but whatever. Then an hour or so later we ordered another diet coke, this one took over 20 minutes! Again not crowded. So the waitress apologies and says she will credit us the soda... Ask for the bill 2-diet cokes and a soda, no credit. I know that this one bad experience does not make it a bad hotel but it still...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear BetaD,

Thank you for returning to The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your experience. We really appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel, lobby and bar. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our pool. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, our mission is to provide the very best in service, and we are sorry that we fell short of the fine level of service that we strive to maintain. We take all feedback very seriously and have shared your comments with our staff to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you again for your taking the time to share your experience, as this will help us in our continuous efforts to improve. We hope to welcome you back to The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Ballantyne, Charlotte

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Everything about our experience at the Ballantyne Hotel was over the top. From our very first meeting with Erin Hunter we knew the Ballantyne Hotel was the perfect venue to host our wedding. Everything was included from the cake to the napkins, which made budgeting a breeze. Erin made the planning process so easy. She was organized and knew exactly what needed to be done down to the very last detail. I really can’t say enough about the level of service and dedication we received. It felt as though our event was the only event on the calendar. Every concern we had was dealt with immediately and professionally.

The day of our wedding was phenomenal. The food was delicious – we still can’t figure out how the kitchen served 100 filets to perfection. The cake was exactly as we had envisioned and all of our guests were treated like royalty. The convenience, and peace of mind, of having all of our guests stay at the Ballantyne Hotel allowed us to continue the evening at the bar right there on site, even after the reception was over. My husband and I were blown away by the suite they gave us and all the extra amenities that came with booking our wedding at the Ballantyne.

I would highly recommend the Ballantyne Hotel as the perfect location for any special event in Charlotte or as just a great place to get away and pamper yourself.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle P
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Michelle P,

Thank you for celebrating your wedding at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations and that you found the wedding process to be effortless and enjoyable. Thank you for your compliments regarding Erin. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we strive to offer the best in service and to anticipate our guests’ needs. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the wedding, food, cake and service. Thank you again for choosing to spend your special day with us and for recommending our hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Ballantyne on two other occasions. The staff is absolutely wonderful. Some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you want to feel special, go and stay. You will claim royal heritage when you leave.
We now will be going to Charlotte at least once a month and unless they have no rooms, we will be there every time.

Room Tip: For a little more get the back side and get a great view of the golf course.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenneth E
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Kenneth E,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We were delighted to read that you have had memorable experiences at the hotel and appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff. We strive to make each and every guest feel special. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge for one night in February. I was very impressed with the facility, and highly recommend the hotel. I do not have one complaint about my stay. The artwork in the hotel is lovely, and it really gives the hotel a personal touch.

The rooms are traditional, and finely appointed. The bathroom was beautiful, and luxurious.

The spa is outstanding. It is a gorgeous facility. The restaurant was divine. Our food was delicious. We ate there for both breakfast and dinner.

We were staying at the hotel on a rainy, cold weekend so it was nice to have everything we needed in the hotel, and not have to get out in the weather. We were seeking solitude away from our young children, and the hotel provided that amenity with perfection. I think the hotel would also be great for families. The pool looks beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear TarheelTraveler,

Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your experience. We really appreciate your positive comments regarding our hotel, décor, accommodations, spa and cuisine. Our team strives to provide a truly effortless escape for all of our guests, and we’re delighted that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed here with my husband one night over Easter weekend. We were very pleased with the room and amenities. The location is central to a lot of good shopping. We sat on the terrace and enjoyed the view with a cocktail from the bar and a cigar. We really enjoyed the bathrobes and bath salts provided. We ordered breakfast from room service- my only complain is that eggs benedict was offered on the full room service menu but not on the door room service menu. I wrote a note on the menu asking for eggs benedict but didn't receive them. It was also strange that the same housekeeper knocked on our twice in the morning at (9:00 and 10:30AM) asking if we were ready for our room to be cleaned even though we were only staying one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a view with of the golf course
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmandaB8
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear AmandaB8,

Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your feedback. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities, location and special accents. We apologize that we did not fulfill your breakfast request and for any inconvenience caused by housekeeping. We take all feedback very seriously, and we have shared your comments with our management team. Our staff strives to provide the best experience possible, and your comments will help us in our continuous efforts to improve our offerings. We hope to welcome you back to The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I am back for a second time. This time is for my anniversary and we are both loving the atmosphere and service.

• Stayed: April 2012
Ballantyne H, General Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear BagsParis_france,
Thank you for visiting The Ballantyne for a meeting and for sharing your feedback. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations and appreciate your comments regarding our accommodations, internet charges and food & beverage experiences. We have shared your comments with our executive team,and we truly value all guests’ feedback as we look to better the stay experience.

Peter Grills

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is the first trip advisor review I have written, I wanted to be sure to comment on my positive experience at The Ballantyne Hotel.

My husband and I got married at The Ballantyne Hotel on Saturday, March 24, 2012. We chose to do everything at The Ballantyne Hotel that weekend i.e. Spa day, golf outing, Rehearsal dinner, Wedding Ceremony & Wedding Reception, to ease travel for our guests. Alli Hall and the team at The Ballantyne Hotel helped make my wedding day and weekend truly the most memorable days of my life. They took so much off of my plate and made me feel at ease with everything. The hotel staff made all of it such a fun and easy process. Our families were able to relax and lounge in the lobby area and meet relatives as they arrived at the hotel. Every single staff member was top notch beginning with the bellmen at the front doors, our families really loved the doorman from Spain (can’t remember his name offhand).

My husband and I checked into the hotel on Thursday so that we could unpack and get settled before guests started arriving the next day. If you’re getting married there, I would strongly suggest checking in a few days early.

In all fairness, I tend to be a tough critic of customer service and expect a high level of service from individuals and companies. With that said, Alli Hall and the team at The Ballantyne Hotel far surpassed any of my wildest expectations. I also had an amazing experience with so many other staff members at the hotel I came in contact with during the months leading up to the wedding day.

Kelly Randazzo was extremely knowledgeable, responsive and helpful to work with when we first looked at The Ballantyne Hotel and established the contract. I think she sold my mom and me during our first meeting when she gave us sugar cookies with my fiancé and my name written in icing on them.

Matt Smith was extremely accommodating and helpful handling special requests and reservations for our guest.

I worked with Ashley Bullins to arrange a spa day the day before our wedding. She was very responsive and attentive throughout the whole process. The spa treatments were awesome! I would highly recommend Temna for the reflexology. It was the first time I had reflexology and I now swear by it. I think it helped me to relax all weekend, I think I’m due to schedule another visit with her soon.

Heather Tapper was extremely helpful, responsive and accommodating to work with on arranging our Rehearsal dinner at The Gallery restaurant.
I know I have surely forgotten to mention so many other staff members that were excellent to work with during our stay.

The food at our wedding was awesome. I have had so many guests comment, “This is the best food I have ever had at a wedding.” Many of our guests also commented that they were surprised at how well the beef was cooked for so many people being served at the same time.

Alli Hall, our wedding coordinator, was more wonderful to work with than anyone I could ever have dreamt of. She was extremely thorough and detail oriented throughout the whole wedding planning process. Our families and friends loved her and could not say enough about her. She is passionate about her job and it really shows. She really cares about you and your family and making things perfect for you and your day. It is very refreshing to work with someone who loves what they do; it is so evident in how she treated us.

I went into the whole wedding planning process wanting a small destination wedding on an island. Because of so many circumstances, it wasn’t possible. Looking back now, I don’t think any destination or island could come close to doing all that Alli Hall and the team at The Ballantyne Hotel did for me, my husband and our families.

I would strongly recommend choosing The Ballantyne Hotel for your wedding day or weekend. You won’t regret your experience or the memories you make there!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear Christine D,

Thank you for choosing The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge to host your wedding weekend and for taking the time to share details of your experience. We were delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations. Especially when it comes to the wedding process, we aim to make an experience as enjoyable and effortless as possible. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your interactions with Alli, Kelly, Matt, Ashley, Temna and Heather, as well as our staff as a whole. We also appreciate your feedback regarding our cuisine and positive details of the wedding planning process. Our team takes pride in providing the best in service and ensuring the comfort of all of our guests. We’re so happy that your guests enjoyed spending the weekend with us and that you came away with a truly memorable experience. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your special day! We hope to welcome you back soon.