“The Gold Standard of Accommodations & Fine Dining!”

The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge
Ranked #6 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, Canada
“The Gold Standard of Accommodations & Fine Dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

During CMS Speedweek my wife and I stayed at the Ballantyne Resort for 2 nights. We are not exactly of the usual "class" of guest - we were really treating ourselves. But we never half-assed it. During our stay we really used the place, enjoying both pools, the dining, the various patio cocktails, the golfing and just walking around the grounds. At lot of what we did (dining & golf) was covered in the "Pick your Pleasure" package and I'd say a great value - it included wire internet and golf view upgrade.

The room was fantastic and immaculate. Not huge, but very nice. Bose stereo - nice touch. Room service never missed a beer can ring on the granite nightstand and kept the all glass shower spotless!

The Gallery produced the best dining I ever had. We were impressed with every meal (including room service, which was quick). The breakfast french toast was life changing for me! On a patio I ordered a Cobb salad that was the best thing I have ever eaten. During the evening we went with the 5 course "surprise". The chef was able to execute a "no shellfish" perimeter. I hate all seafood, but indulged and enjoyed swordfish and some pretty flippin' good salmon. Some kind of beef and duck were the other courses. I'm not picky, but it was all really good! The last desert course was really 4 desert courses, so we were getting pretty full. Everything was good, but they tried this ice cream and corn thing. It was a nice try, but that was like nuts and gum.

We spent a lot of time just walking around and enjoying the resort, taking pics on the grounds. Beautiful achitecture. The only think we didn't take in was the spa (not for me - maybe my wife some other time) We golfed (if you could call it that) - staff in the pro shop were great. Nice course. Everyone was great and easy/ helpful.

The whole stay was an expensive outing for us, but we felt our time at the Ballantyne was well worth it. We'd do it again and the Ballantyne Resort and The Gallery Restaurant will always be the standard that I hold other resort and restaurants up to now. I have not a single complaint

Room Tip: Pick a package with dining included and use it!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank userdeleted
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear BudChev,
Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback and pictures from your stay. We are so delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your experience. Thank you for your complimentary comments on our accommodations, service, golf and dining. Our adventure menu is always a fun way to experience our culinary offerings, and we’re glad that you enjoyed most of the courses. We apologize that you were disappointed by the ice cream dish, and we have shared your comments with our culinary team so we can continue to improve our menu items. Thank you also for sharing that you found the Pick Your Pleasure package to be a value, as we strive to offer the best stay experience. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed here for only one night and I was dying to stay couple more. From the minute I arrived the quality of service was felt....amazing!!!!
Check in process within seconds, perfect. Greetings, hellos and smiles coming from everywhere.
The rom is just perfect...the bed, the quality of the sheets, room temperature, bathroom products and a comfortable and spacious bathroom. Felt like a Queen!
Breakfast was done to perfection. we were seven at the table, all with separate checks, different requests even for the coffee and everything came out perfect, not a single mistake...BRAVO!
The bar...just phenomenal. elegant and casual at the same time.
When in Charlotte definitely stying here, not looking for anything else. I only hope my agenda allows me to stay more than 1 night!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Debnelsonr
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Debobrah,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your kind comments regarding our service, accommodations and breakfast. Our goal is to provide the best stay experience, and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel is all you could ever want. Outstanding service, Gracious accommodations, and every amenity under the sun. The location is great and the golf course is first rate. The spa is perfect and you'll be glad you stayed here.

2 Thank jvl3
Dear jvl3,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne, and we appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our service, accommodations, location, spa and golf. Our team is dedicated to providing the best stay experience, and we’re so delighted you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Elizabethton, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Me and my wife stayed here for one night over the weekend for an Anniversary getaway. First, the only reason we stayed here was the AMEX Platinum FHR program which didn't disappoint. From the moment we pulled up everybody made sure we didn't lift a finger! We got a nice Parlor Suite which was large and it was nice having two bathrooms too! We were on the community view side which I really didn't mind but yes it probably would be nice to be on the other side if you can help it. We took advantage of the entire hotel. The Gallery restaurant really took care of us for our anniversary and had a couple special touches we really enjoyed! We enjoyed the swim spa and the pools... one thing that really stood out was the pool staff, we really enjoyed them! I made sure to let the manager know as well but thank you! I loved the atmosphere as you'd never know you were in Charlotte. We also used the Spa which was really nice, the spa attendant really did a good job. Now my only complaints. My wife wanted to add on a treatment for our spa appointment the next day and spoke to the desk people and they said they'd call her back to let her know but never did. I figured since we had such an outstanding trip I'd just let the spa manager know they missed on communication, well I called and left him a message and never did receive a call back so maybe the communication problem is with the spa manager. We got harassed a little on our late check-out but understood since it was a full house. Great job Ballantyne! We will be back (but not sure we will use the Spa) .

Room Tip: Ask for the golf view (more $$)
1 Thank xfire22
Dear xfire22,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your kind words regarding your stay. We appreciate your nice comments regarding our accommodations, cuisine and service, especially at the pool. We have passed your comments along, as our staff works diligently to offer the best in service. We do apologize that our spa team did not follow up with you, as this is not indicative of the fine service we strive to maintain. Our spa director would like to speak with you to apologize and ensure this does not happen again. We hope to welcome you back and hope you will reconsider visiting the Spa.

Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

beautiful hotel. the concierge was extremely helpful, especially with directions. we were upgraded to a suite. it was fantastic. i especially loved the bathroom with a jet tub and shower. bathroom amenities (shampoo, sewing kit) were great. had a massage at the spa and it was wonderful.
every detail was looked after.

Room Tip: you can always ASK for an upgrade!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConBakDoug
Dear ConBakDoug,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff strives to offer exceptional service, and we really appreciate your comments regarding our attentiveness, accommodations and amenities. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very friendly, accommodating and very competent staff. That was such a pleasure. Nice environment and convenient meeting place to spend time with family and friends.

Fabulous spa services and highly skilled practitioners. I was impressed with the excellent quality.

There are practically no fitness classes and the instructor did not show for one class advertised. Exercise equipment is adequate for a good workout.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing golf course on high floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rodi925
Dear rodi925,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne and for your kind words regarding our service, accommodations and spa services. We strive to offer a variety of fitness services, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by a lapse in the fitness class schedule. We have followed up with our fitness team to ensure this does not happen again. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay at The Ballantyne Hotel. We live 5 minutes away but he decided to make our night out for a concert a night away from home. I was immediately floored by the attention from the staff. We came in from the side entrance and there was an employee there who answered our question as to where the check in desk was. Instead of giving us directions she led us straight to it. Along the way any other employee that we past smiled and greeted us with a genuine warm welcome. Check in was extremely quick and pleasant. The fruit infused water was a great little touch. We stayed on the 7th floor and the room was clean and just beautiful. Most of the times when I walk into a hotel room it is freezing, this room was perfectly set. We went down to the bar next to the check in desk and had some wonderful drinks and the bartender was extremly nice and provided great service. My husband had arranged for a car to take us to uptown for the concert and when we went out the front where the valets were one had asked if we had a car he could pull around,so we weren't just left waiting. When we returned we deiced to order some room serivce from the late night menu. The burger was amazing and the best sweet potato fries I have ever had!! The only issue we had was my husband's Mr. pibb wasn't mixed correctly, but of course water was brough with the food so it was no issue. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever been in in a hotel. My husband is in love with the pillows. I would like to get him some for Father's Day, lol. The bath was lovely and the shower is amazing. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Yes it is pricey but I have never had an experience like that at a hotel We are already talking about staying there again. I'm hoping nexttime we can do the spa/pools. It is perfect for us for a night away from home and the kids. I strongly suggest staying at this hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear lizinnc,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your wonderful comments regarding our service, accommodations and cuisine. Our team constantly strives to provide the best service and offer those special accents that make a difference. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon!