“Would Never Stay Again!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - SouthPark
Ranked #29 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
West Virginia
“Would Never Stay Again!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel which is going through renovations is deceiving. I called numerous times and asked about the renovations and work going on, I asked them were the rooms done and they said yes. To start after check in when we went to our room the card wouldnt work, had to stand in the hallway and wait for someone to come to fix it, this happened numerous times and so did others, it was nothing to see people standing by their door waiting on someone to come let them in. They were preparing for a wedding, which I didnt mind, but what I did mind is my room was on the bottom floor so the view out of my windows was a tent, after the ceremony the tent didnt come down, so this was the view period. The seating that is in the courtyard was just pushed back in there, tables pushed to the side, chairs just pushed to the middle, never did fix in 2 days. Now for this so called newly renovated room, the bathtub has marks in it, like there was a mat there for a long time, I tried to take a photo but it wouldnt show, there was a big stain on the ceiling above the shower, the fan in the bathroom does not work, and the bathroom counter looked like it had nail polish marks on it, so it didnt look the cleanest. The kitchen was very small, and the cabinets were disgusting, dishes were in the dishwasher, not the cabinets. The stand that the TV set on in the living room appears to be old, from the looks of it, the very small patio was covered in dirt and the furniture was as well, I wouldnt have set on it, and there was chunks of paint missing from the doors inside. The large vent in the bedroom made so much noise I had to get up and turn the air off to sleep, which made it very hot, hot or noise??When we left our room we put the do not disturb sign out because we didnt want anyone in our room, when we came back the beds had been made and towels in the bathroom, so dont know why they give you a sign if they dont follow it. The day we were going to check out, the maid knocked and then opened the door, it was 9 am checkout wasnt until noon. The room where the ice machine is was like a sauna, and there is basically not much parking, I have never seen a hotel with parking like this. If you are going to Charlotte, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wsesmom
SouthParkSuites, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - SouthPark, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. On behalf of our entire team, I am truly sorry you encountered these inconveniences.

We were, indeed, experiencing programming difficulties with our key system which unfortunately held up our guests' check-in process.

We take your points most seriously regarding the bathroom and guest suite issues stated. Our department heads are currently correcting these conditions. We are also addressing your housekeeping and related feedback with our housekeeping department heads and team members, so that these issues are corrected as well.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to assist you when your plans bring you back to Charlotte. With our corrected procedures in place, I believe you will have a very difference experience at our hotel.

Joanie Kastl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Earlysville, Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We have stayed @ this Doubletree for the last 4 years during the Quail Hollow Golf Championship. The 1st 3 years were a very positive experience and what one would expect from the Hilton brand. This year, however, the experience was negative from beginning to end and cannot be blamed on the renovations. The staff at the front desk were disheveled and gave the bare minimum of service. The lobby and room we stayed in were shabby and not clean. The shower curtain had mold and the door to the balcony had had the lock broken off the hinges. The Golf Channel had been blacked out even though I would venture to say 90% of the people staying there had come for the tournament. We were told it was available in the Bankers Lounge. The past 3 years it had always been available in our room. This year the channel was there but no picture/sound. Finally, there was no coffee in the morning in the lobby for guests. Of course it was available for purchase in the cafe after 7:00AM I travel to dog shows and have stayed in many low end hotels because of traveling with a show dog and I have never been in a hotel no matter how low end that did not have morning coffee for its guests. Never Again! EWinter, Earlysville, VA

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank EWinter435
SouthParkSuites, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - SouthPark, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention during your recent stay at our hotel.

I am truly sorry to hear of your guest suite experience with your shower curtain and balcony. Rest assured, we have had our department heads addressing this and making the appropriate corrections.

I apologize for the difficulties with the Golf Channel. We had our vendors out here as soon as possible to resolve this once we were aware of the issue. So, we advised our guests to watch from our Lounge until our vendors were able to repair the problem.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to assist you when your plans bring you back to Charlotte. I am quite confident you will have a very different experience.

Very Sincerely,

Fort Washington, Maryland
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I am pleased to write that after a few months of disputing the unauthorized charges on my credit card, Doubletree has decided to refund most of the charges just as a courtesy! It was neither theirs, nor my fault that the charges were unpaid. I am very greatful for this polite gesture. I will definitely be back, aside from the credit card situation our stay was very pleasant. The rooms were comfortable and clean, and the warm cookies at check in were to DIE for! Thanks for all your help Joanie :-) I really appreciate it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
SouthParkSuites, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - SouthPark, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing the update with your credit card issues. We are happy to hear this has been resolved for you and we are very glad we were able to help! Thank you, also, for your kind words about our hotel and amenities!

We hope you will give us the pleasure of accommodating you again when your plans bring you back to Charlotte!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past two years for work. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The layout is unique, with the hotel surrounding the outdoor pool. I love getting a room with a balcony facing the pool. The balconies are large with trees nearby providing some seclusion. The rooms are huge, providing separate sleeping and living spaces. The location is excellent, next door to a small park with a major shopping mall and excellent restaurants just a short walk away.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the hotel is currently going through a remodel, and I must say, it looks amazing! The colors, textures, and furniture are all great! The only main difference I noticed is that there no longer are full kitchens. Instead you now have a mini-frig and microwave. I didn't hear any noise during any of my stays.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback on your pleasant stay at our hotel and your comments regarding our truly spacious suites, unique hotel layout and our excellent SouthPark location, close to so many fine stores, restaurants - and of course - SouthPark Mall just next door!

Thanks, also for your compliments on the renovation and upgrades to our hotel - we are most excited about all of this as well!

We look forward to having you as our guest again, when your plans bring you back to our city.

Most sincerely,

Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The hotel is being remodeled (April 2012), so some sections are closed. The rooms that are complete are nice. We did have the fire alarm go off at 2am and again at 2:45am due to the construction. I would visit again after the construction is complete, but I wouldn't visit until then (especially if I had children with me - imagine waking them up to go outside twice in the middle of the night).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
SouthParkSuites, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - SouthPark, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are, indeed, working through a renovation and we very much appreciate your comments on how nice our new suites look!

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience with the fire alarms during your stay.

We hope you will stay with us again when your plans bring you to Charlotte. With our renovations completed, we are confident you will have a most enjoyable stay.

chicago
Reviewed April 26, 2012

i was looking forward to staying at the Double Tree South Park. I had stayed there before, and while not hi-end it was at least clean.

I was here on business last week and they are under serious renovation. By serious, I mean construction, noise and garbage in lots of places. There was broken glass in my hallway for the entire time i stayed - 5 nights. There was a strong chemical odor inside my room and in the hallway. I spoke to the front desk about this and they seemed puzzled.

Don't think I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces the pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent stay at our hotel. Though we are working through a renovation which will greatly enhance our all-suite, full-service hotel, our goal is to provide exceptional service to our guests throughout this process.

We are addressing the issues you experienced during your stay with our departments and focusing on continued coaching and training with our team members.

MSP
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I asked when making the reservation if the pool was open and was told, yes. Then, when I arrived at hotel, I was planning on heading straight to pool was told it was closed. When I asked what time in the morning it would open, the receptionist told me "I don't know." Then, the next morning, I found the pool had not even been opened for the season. That is the only reason I chose the hotel, and I was very disappointed (as was my little kid). Also, I had requested a pack 'n play but was informed upon arrival (NOT BEFORE) that there were none, only a crib with loose bedding that I didn't feel was safe for an infant. Lastly, I presumed the room had a kitchen. Not just a sink, microwave, and a mini fridge with no freezer. Plenty of hotel rooms have fridges and microwaves, and do not advertise that they have kitchens. There was someone else's leftover room service tray outside my door when I arrived, and it was still there when I checked out. Lastly, there was a band-aid on the floor of my room at check in. Made me question how well the room had been cleaned. Overall, a completely disappointing stay. I had reserved five nights, and left after the first. This is the first time I have ever complained about a hotel, but I really felt disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We are truly sorry for your inconveniences during your recent stay at our hotel.

Our pool opening date was indeed delayed by a few days for necessary work to ensure that all was in proper order for our guests. We completely understand your frustration with your suite not having a full kitchen, as we now have suites with both kitchens and kitchenettes. We are in the process of getting our entire suite descriptions updated as we work through our renovation.

We hope you will give our all-suite, full-service hotel another chance when your plans bring you back to Charlotte. With the improvements we are making, we are confident you will have a very different experience.