“Beware of leaving your vehicle”

HYATT house Charlotte Airport
Ranked #24 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Columbus, OH
“Beware of leaving your vehicle”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I stayed at the hotel for three weeks while in NC for business.
The hotel itself was fine, and the food offered in the mornings and evenings was fine.
However beware of the staff and security guards. Here is what happened: On my checkout day, I went to the parking lot and unlocked my vehicle with my remote keychain, and upon opening the driver side door, I immediately noticed the vehicle had been gone through. The glove box was opened, and items from the center console were scattered on the driver and passenger seats. As I turned to shut the door, I then noticed items in the bed. They included a briefcase and laptop bag, which did not belong to me.
I went back in to the hotel, straight to the front desk, reported the break in and asked the man running the front desk to call the police.
The staff person at the desk replied that there was no point in calling the police right away. He explained that break ins happen a lot here, and the police can’t (or won’t) come, until later in the morning.
During this conversation, the security guard came over and said before her shift started, around 9pm the night before, she noticed the truck had been broken into. She had in her possessions items from the truck including the frequent player cards. She explained she found them in the parking lot. This indicated to me that a bag of change I had stored in my center console, which is also where I had stored my player cards had been stolen.

From first glance, the truck showed no indication of entry. The driver side lock was damaged, but not immediately noticeable. Additionally, my truck sits pretty high, and I find it suspicious she was able to see in, and take note of the items askew, just on her way in for her shift.
If she had noticed these items the night before, I inquired why I had not been contacted, as my name is plainly visible on the cards. She then explained that she did inquire with a lady at the front desk , but there was no record of my name as a guest. I also found this hard to believe, because not only did I have a reservation, my name was included on the shuttle service list, used everyday for the last three weeks.
When this incident was discussed with my business associates also staying at the hotel, they explained to me that they had noticed the security guard looking in car windows as they were coming and going from the hotel parking lot.

Although this can only be speculation, I whole heartedly believe this security guard played some role in the break in. Or the security company hired by the hotel is not hiring competent trustworthy employees.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank jandbmen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Midwest
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I booked this hotel through the Hyatt website. No mention was made that this hotel is going through a major renovation and that they were not serving the full hot breakfast which they advertise. The hallways have been recarpted and it looks like our room had new furnishings, however the renovation stopped there. The rusty drop down ceilings in the bath area had not been replaced. The old tub still had rust and mildew. The door frames were old and very beat up and that included the doors which all need to be refinished or painted. The old tile on the floor was very dirty in the corners and needed a good scrub and/or regrouting. There were also large holes in the walls in both the living area and the bedroom. We arrived in the evening and it was very disconcerting to drive into a darkened hotel and see the makeshiift lobby and old and shabby breakfast area. We were awakened very early by their workmen congregating in the parking lot below our room and talking loudly. This is the first time I have stayed at a Summerfield Suites and I was surprised Hyatt would open for business with the property looking like this. Not a particulary great stay.

• Liked — location off I-77
  • Disliked — non publicized rennovation, no hot breakfast, rusty,dirty ceilings, tub and tile floors
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Black Mountain, North Carolina
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites for two nights over MLK weekend. The hotel is being remodeled and the lobby area is under construction. The makeshift lobby is in a hall way of the hotel and the new dining facilities are in what I think was once the fitness room. The fitness room is now crammed into an office with only two machines, a weight bench and a TV. The breakfast was served in the temporary breakfast area which I don't think can accommodate the "full breakfast buffet" the Summerfield Suites advertised. We were quite disappointed when we arrived at breakfast the first morning and found the usual continental offerings, oatmeal in a bag, bagels and muffins in plastic, juice in plastic containers, prepackaged cold cereals, apples and bananas (though the fruit was all gone when we got to breakfast the first morning), the usual continental breakfast items. It was not at all the breakfast we had been expecting. The main reason we stayed at the Summerfield Suites was because they offered the big breakfast. Our room was nice, though it was also in the process of being upgraded. The bed and couch were really comfortable and the TV in the living room area was HD. It was nice having a kitchen area, but there was no table to eat any meals we prepared. The pictures had been removed from the walls with the exception of a clock. Unfortunately, the clock was behind the new large TV. The room was pretty quiet, the heat worked well. We would definately stay at the Summerfield Suites again, but not while they are under constrution. We feel that we should have been told in advance that the breakfast was not a hot buffet and that the fitness room was very limited all due to the construction. We made our reservations online through the hotel but this was never mentioned anywhere on their site or in our confirmation with the hotel.

• Liked — The suite style of room
  • Disliked — Hotel was under construction and the breakfast was limited
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Work2Go
Yorktown
Reviewed January 10, 2008

This hotel is currently undergoing renovation to the entry, so we were not sure that it was even open when we drove up. They have re-purposed the fitness room to the dining area, and the hallway outside the elevators now functions as the reception. When finished, the new reception and dining area appear that they will be spacious and very, very nice. Right now, it's a work in progress.

The suites are really fantastic for the price - kitchen area with 2 burner stove, mini-fridge, dishwasher, microwave, sink and real dishes in the cupboard. The living/work area is adjacent to the kitchen and includes a decent sized desk, and a pull-out sofa, coffee table and entertainment center with a (!) flat screen TV and a DVD player.

Ensuite bath has a partition for the sink - with separate shower/toilet. Bedroom has it's own closet, TV, and comfy king-sized bed.

Clean, nice. Will be even better when the reception area is finished. If that were the case - it would have gotten an excellent from me.

One down-size - breakfast wasn't great. But free wine/beer and heavy hors doeurve's from 5-7pm just might have made up for it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Norwood, Ma
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I missed my connecting flight out of Charlotte for Providence. Boy, are airlines tough. It is always either the TSA or the weather. The airline gave me a number for a travel agency they contract with for discounted rooms for people in my situation. I had a choice of Microtel for $70 or Summerfield Suites for $79. Usually I opt for the cheaper hotel, but, felt beaten up by the airlines and decided to try something hopefully better with my wife and daughter. The people at the Summerfield were very helpful and professional. They provided us with toiletries we needed since we had no luggage. They gave us a free softdrink from their small snack store. We were put in a two bedroom suite. It had a king bedroom and another bedroom with 2 double beds, and two bathrooms and a comfortable livingroom. Internet was either wireless or wired. The room had a range top, microwave, refrigerator and sink and full utensils. But, they also served a hot breakfast with scrambled eggs and bacon, or toast, English muffins, bagels, fruit, juice, cereal, coffee or tea. They allowed us a late check out since our plane was leaving at 2:30pm. They then took us to the airport in their van. The hotel is being converted to a Hyatt soon. I hope it doesn't change too much.

• Liked — The nicest room I have ever stayed in. The staff.
  • Disliked — It is starting to look a little worn. I was told it is being upgraded when it converts to Hyatt.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Lynch Station, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Units are a bit small for family groups and more appropriate for businessmen. We had a two-bedroom unit for four adults and two children. A good breakfast was included, but we had also prepared our dinner there -- a simple spaghetti meal-- and there was nowhere for most of us to sit down. The dining table is more of a work area for two people. It's a good place for business travelers and a good value for families if you don't try to prepare meals there.The price was less than for two average hotel rooms without the kitchen and living area, and the staff was very helpful. I'd stay there again,but I'd eat dinner in a restaurant.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank leesvillelake
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Over the Christmas holidays, I needed two suites for out-of-town family - one parent in her 80's and a daughter, her husband and 10 month-old baby. After doing a lot of comparison shopping, I booked rooms at Summerfield Suites on S. Tryon. I went through the marketing person at the hotel and negotiated a price $5 lower than anything I could find on the web.

Another consideration that influenced my decision was that the bedroom at Summerfield was closed off by a door, not just an archway or half-wall which was the case in all the other suite hotels I checked. Really useful for a family with an infant...

My guests and I were extremely pleased with the experience. The rooms were clean and reasonably-well appointed (not high-end furnishings but more than adequate). The rooms were clean and housekeeping was prompt and professional. The morning breakfast was better than most I have experienced in suite hotels.

What stood out to all of us was the courteous and professional service of the staff. When the first room did not have the added handicap features for our elderly visitor, they immediately switched us (even found a handicapped smoking room, since this person smoked). When we realized the new room was further from the lobby, we requested and were promptly furnished with a wheelchair to traverse the long hallway. A nice crib and clean sheets were awaiting the young family when they arrived.

Anything we asked for was quickly and pleasantly provided. We did not notice the smokey-smelling lobby another poster described.

All in all, an excellent solution to the out-of-town visitor housing needs we experienced. My guests and I would stay there again in a flash, and I would recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank 68heel