“Great Barbeque”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We took New York friends for southern Barbeque this weekend. Wonderful food!!! Better than Macs pulled pork. Vinegar sauce beats western style sauce!! Best friends pickles in Charlotte

Write a ReviewReviews (1,492)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

After finding this restaurant on TripAdvisor and reading all the great reviews, we decided to give it a try. We arrived shortly after they open, were seated immediately, and had our waiter there within moments. I tried the Burnt Ends - my first time having them - and they were delicious! The mac and cheese was also awesome!! We will definitely be going back!!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I really enjoyed the food and service here. I had a half rack of ribs with their signature sauce and it was fantastic. I got the bacon wrapped jalapenos as one of my sides and they were so good. A colleague ordered the burnt ends and he really enjoyed them as well. The prices are suitable for almost any budget, and our waiter did a bang-up job. He knew the menu well enough to make recmomendations and he was attentive without being too overbearing ( you know what I mean, hurry up and finish so I can flip the table). This was not like that; it was quick but not rushed. The only part of my lunch there that was not perfect was the iced tea. It was a bit too watered down, but truth be told if it wasn't a business lunch I 'd have been quaffing pints of beer anyhow. Basically, the place will have your stomach growling from a block away as soon as you catch a whiff.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stopped by late afternoon for drinks after a stressful Friday. All the staff was very friendly and the smiles were contagious as the three of us were also smiling. Sat outside and the service was great. Nice place to regroup after a long day.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from my first visit here this evening. Have been to 12 different bbq places in and around Charlotte. I chose Midwood based in the rave reviews here, so my expectations were high.

We ordered full rack of ribs, beef brisket (lean and fatty) and our sides were bbq slaw, beans, Mac and cheese and sweet potato fries.

Ribs 6/10- These were average at best and that is a stretch. Flavor was ok, meat was not smoky at all or flavorful.

Brisket lean 6/10- This is the least flavorful cut. Eating them without the sauce is a mistake.

Brisket fatty 8/10- The most flavorful of the two cuts available. You do not need the bbq sauce for these. Good smokey flavor and juicy.

BBQ Sauce 6/10- The sauce is just ok. It's your average run of the mill bbq sauce.

Sides 8.5/10-Best part of our meal. Mac and cheese was very good, it's homemade. We didn't care for the bbq slaw at all. Beans were great, lots of pulled pork and great flavor. Sweet potato fried were decent and the bush puppies were fair at best.

Service 8.5/10- Our waitress was great. Always asking if we needed anything and how the food was.

Atmosphere 7/10- 80's music was playing and the decor was decent.

Overall 5/10- The BBQ is so overrated here, based on the reviews.I was expecting the best of charlotte and we got average. We will not be going back, that's how dissatisfied we were with the BBQ. There are much better options. Specifically Q2U BBQ in Lake Wylie, SC or Dickie's which is ironically a chain. We had a few drinks, but came here for the food. It was a bummer of an experience food wise.

Been to Midwood Smokehouse? Share your experiences!