“Nice Dinner”
Review of The Asbury

The Asbury
Reserve with OpenTable
The Asbury is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 2,425 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Street
Description: With its warm service and artistic food presentation, The Asbury puts a sophisticated spin on the local food movement and traditional Southern dishes. The Asbury is a tribute to Charlotte's southern roots and the culturally diverse community of the New South. There is a strong tie to heirloom ingredients native to the area and specialty items grown by small, family farms throughout the local region. Located on the corner of N. Tryon & 6th Streets at the heart of Charlotte's cultural district, it's only fitting that the restaurant features local art curated in collaboration with Sozo Galler. Open seven days a week and serving the longest weekend brunch in Charlotte. Complimentary two-hour parking available in the Fifth Third Bank parking garage accessible from 6th and Church Streets. (Effective January 1, 2017, guests will be able to pay $5 for two (2) hour parking with validation, and will be charged prevailing garage rates after the initial two hours.)
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Some friends and I were in Charlotte on business and decided to eat here. We sat at a table out on the sidewalk and the atmosphere was great. Food was very good and the service was excellent. Would dine here again when visiting Charlotte.

There are newer reviews for The Asbury

Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I dined at The Asbury in April 2014. I had booked a room at the Dunhill Hotel and decided, for convenience sake, to make a reservation at The Asbury since it sits adjacent to the hotel. As of 05/01/14 their website has not been updated. It lists the winter menu. In fact, as of two weeks ago, they had already introduced the spring menu. It was a pleasant surprise.

The restaurant itself is narrow and decorated in a contemporary fashion. I have no complaints regarding the service.

As my wife was having a steak, we ordered a bottle of Andrew Murray Syrah. It was excellent. While I would have preferred a white wine with my choices, the Syrah was delightful and I have no complaints. For an appetizer we order the ceviche. It was very unconventional, lime juice was poured over sashimi grade fish at the table, it was refreshing and delicious. I had intended on ordering the cheese board but when the ceviche was described to us we chose it instead and were not disappointed. My wife orded the "Appalacian" strip steak and frankly was disapointed. My review is not based upon her feelings about her entree. We concluded that because the steak came from local grass fed cows that the differences in texture and taste were the reason for her disappointment and not because of quality or preparation.

Now to the best part! I ordered the 62 Degree Egg and Fresh Blue Crab with Asparagus Rice Grits, Radish, Tempura Asparagus, Lemon. FYI, as of this writing, there is a picture of it on the restaurant's facebook page. In a word, it was sublime. Possibly my favorite dish at a restaurant. I cannot recommend it enough. It was creamy and tangy but light and refreshing. A wonderful dish. My only regret is that I didn't have citrusy New Zealand Sauviginon Blanc to go with it.

For desert, I had the a chocolate chess pie. It consisted of three pie pieces (chocolate, chess, chocolate) stacked on top of each other. Sort of a chocolate chess pie version of an Oreo. It was very good.

Overall, I highly recommend The Asbury. If I lived closer, I would go again this weekend. However, I will try and find a way back to Charlotte in time for the summer menu.

1  Thank pathfinder43
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had two opportunities to visit Asbury on our recent trip to Charlotte. Our hotel choice was The Dunhill, and The Asbury is located off the main lobby. Dinner before the ballet was our choice, and The Asbury offers early seating which suited our schedule perfectly.

We could easily eat there for a week. All of the items were so appealing. The menu changes with availability, but I have to mention one choice - the BBQ scallops, which turned out to be the best I've ever eaten. Dessert was Mommas doughnut bread pudding....My southern Momma never made anything like that.

Breakfast was delicious as well - the pimento cheese omelet is a good choice, and the coffee was especially good and plentiful.

At both meals the staff were particularly attentive and friendly. We will definitely return.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I am very disappointed. Farm to table which I like. Great food, good service and ambiance unsurpassed. Lunch bill for our table was $93.10 and I gave them $100 cash (no credit card fees for them!). They intentionally kept the silver and only gave me back $6 instead of $6.90. I asked about this and was told they don't keep a lot of change. I gave them a dime and they gave me a dollar. So why didn't they just give me back $7 instead of $6. It would have cost them 10 cents for some goodwill. But nooooo...........their policy is screw the customer and they'll keep the change.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Another of my restaurants during a business trip (thus solo) in Charlotte.
Food absolutely superb.
Attentive service. Quiet atmosphere when I was there.
Only minor point is the cost, as I was only eating one course and two glasses of (very good also) wine.