“Delicious food with a first-rate view”

Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
Reserve with OpenTable
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 2,376 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Levine Avenue of the Arts
Charlotte, NC
“Delicious food with a first-rate view”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were grateful Halycon was not participating in Restaurant Week and decided to make our second visit. As others have stated, the decor is very cool with chandeliers made of branches and tables that look like elegant tree trunks. You can't beat the view of the city at night, and I'm sure the outdoor dining would be great in good weather.

We decided on a pork belly and Brussels sprouts appetizer. At $10, it was a steal considering the size and flavor. You can never go wrong with pork belly, and the sprouts were a tangy, vinegary surprise. Even though we were trying not to get full before dinner, we ate the whole thing.

Since you can also never have too much pork belly, my fella got the burger for dinner. We thought there was no way the burger could live up to the hype... but we were so glad to be wrong! The bun was sweet - almost donut-esque - and the pork belly/beef were just the right balance of salt. The bacon marmalade was smoky and creamy, and the cheese made the entire dish. It almost doesn't seem right to call this just a burger, so I'm gonna call it a work of culinary art.

I got the fire-roasted chicken, which was fall off the bone tender, and the greens, sweet potatoes and farro balanced it out nicely. I ate all of it plus a bite of the burger. Oh, and some of the fries with homemade (cinnamon-y?) sweet ketchup. Nom nom nom.

Needless to say, we were too full for dessert! I should note that our server was very fun and personable. He made a couple of mistakes (forgot a beer we ordered, messed up the check), but he was so apologetic and nice that it was easily overlooked. I can't recommend Halycon enough!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Vandelay37

Central Falls, Rhode Island
“Don't Miss It! Spectacular Space, Excellent Food & Service.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visted the Mint Museum today and the museum staff suggested I try Halycon. Frankly, I had low expectations. Sometimes I find "locavore" restaurants are just a bit too precious and often overpriced. And as a single diner, I never know what to expect regarding seating and service. The second floor restaurant was full when I arrived @ 1:30pm but the hostess offered me a beautifully wood-burled four-top table within five minutes. It was nearing the end of the lunch service, so I lucked out with a sunny window view. The space is amazing: the ceilings must be 40 to 50 feet high with unique wooden chandeliers. I was driving, so I drank only unsweetened ice tea, made from delicious herbal organic tea. The menu was full of items that I wanted to try. I began with the Country “Calamari” Crispy Pig Ear Laces ($9) coated in a Kentucky Bourbon glaze with sesame seeds and served over Kimchi fried rice. Frankly, I still have no idea what pig ears are, but they were like crispy thick bacon. The glaze was slightly spicy and sweet and the dish reminded me of Korean Bar-B-Q, which I love. Excellent and filling!
My entree was the N.C cornmeal-dusted Catfish ($13) served over smoked & fried cabbage (intriguing) and the sauce was a tomato-based pot likker. I was expecting a bone-in catfish, but the two generous fillets arrived deboned and and crispy. Absolutely delicious.
The service was attentive and the waiters used the team approach. I was served on by no fewer than six people. Interestingly, in the middle of the room, which would normally be a prime center-table location, the chef and his restaurant designer chose to place large round table with a stone fountain in the middle, ringed by service supplies: napkins, plates, silverwear, water, tea, etc. Apparently the chef sacrificed a prime table to service patrons faster. Impressive! My entire lunch bill was only $21 but I was so impressed with the food and the service that I left a $10 tip.

I will definitely visit Halycyon again when I pass though NC on my way back to MA.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Kent D
Summerville, South Carolina
“Uniquely excellent”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had lunch (brunch) on Jan 19-20,2013.

Service was good and friendly and the egg dishes and lamb sausage were excellent.

Great lactation at the Uptown Mint Museum and the Levine Center.

Recommend reservations as they are a very popular restaurant.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Gorgeous City-chic Atmosphere, Divine Food and Great Service”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our second visit to this beautiful restaurant at The Mint proved even better than last year's very fine meal. A refined urban atmosphere, offering farm-to-table creations that will surprise and delight.

We enjoyed the "Country Calamari," crispy fried pigs ears with a slightly sweet and pleasantly sticky KY bourbon glaze over well-seasoned Kimchi fried rice. The Shishito peppers were nicely flash fried and salted (could have been just tad crunchier), and the cornbread, served in a little cast iron skillet, was moist, sweet, and just a touch spicy with its Tobasco sorghum glaze. All three appetizers were shared among the four of us, and all were delightful.

The bronzed scallop with crispy kale was perfectly prepared. The Pork 'n greens -- pork belly with brussels sprout petals, bacon and hazelnut-maple mustard -- was perfectly crispy and rich.

Service was professional, friendly and very knowledgeable. All in all, an outstanding evening in the Queen City!

• Visited December 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
“Amazing local cheeses”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Great service! Beautiful atmosphere. Awesome bloody's. Highlight of my meal was the cheese tray app with 3 local cheeses prepared with perfectly accompanied honey, jams and spreads and fruit. Eggplant spread, pimento cheese, olives and homemade pickles also yummy. Huge sandwiches and fries big beautifule and yummy. Would definitely come back especially for a glass of wine and cheese.