“Happening sushi/burger place ”

The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
Ranked #6 of 2,457 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews and was shopping nearby so took a chance. Line was out the door so obviously a popular local spot but got a quick seat at sushi bar. Atmosphere, service and food were great. Will def come back when in Charlotte.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Do yourself a favor and go to here! We ate on the patio with our two small children on a beautiful day and we loved every minute of it! Our waitress was friendly and helpful with recommendations, and the food definitely lives up to the hype! There is nothing run of the mill to be had here, and that is quite impressive when you see how huge the menu is! We started with the crab Rangoon dip, which was sweet and delicious without being heavy and cloying. The kids LOVED their meals, served in bento boxes complete with rice crispy sushi, my husbands burger was delicious and my "deliverance roll" was crazy, fun and amazing. Please come to Florida, Cowfish!!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

It's a great idea for a restaurant...combining sushi and meat and fusing them in rolls. I haven't had a bad meal here. I feel it's more of a fun place to go with friends and share menu items of which it's kinda overwhelming. I would't go on a date here mainly because it's very noisy. Overall, I give Cowfish a thumbs up.

1  Thank Ian N
Reviewed April 29, 2014

So I've read all the hype about Cowfish and for some, unknown reason I never made an effort to go there. Maybe because I heard horror stories about the ridiculously long lines, maybe because so many places with similar reputations just don't live up to hype.....I don't know. But my best friends were in town and I decided to pick an "off time" to dine (we went at 3pm on a Sunday), if there is ever such a time at this establishment. And thankfully, the wait was less than 10 minutes and we grabbed a seat outside on this lovely day.

First thing we noticed was the HUGE and exhaustive menu. My Gawd....there's more choices on the menu than people named Chin in a Chinese telephone book! Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you. But sometimes you got to wonder if having TOO many choices can lead to execution errors? Maybe I've been watching too many Food Network/Kitchen Nightmare programs......

Back to the review. We started with their coconut battered onion rings with 2 types of dipping sauces: 1 was your traditional ranch style sauce (with Sriracha or horseradish I believe) and another was a Thai sweet chili sauce. Both were excellent, and the onion was surprisingly VERY good. Not soggy at all, crisp with excellent flavor. Great start.

On to the sushi rolls. Got the Mark's Roll which is not on their online menu. It had tuna and cream cheese in it. Tempura battered and flash fried. Need I say more? Was delicious. Not uber flavorful but the texture contrast was excellent. Also tried their Blackened Tuna roll, with lump crab meat, and sliced jalapenos. Almost tasted like a mini crab cake, with heat. Was good. Not the best sushi I've ever had but a solid roll.

My buddy Dean got the Ultimate Bento Box, which had a very delicious sushi roll, an excellent blend of Thai Sweet/Heat cucumber salad, a double stacked mini burger, edamame and some sweet potato fries. Very good. His wife Lisa got the Greek Salad, which was HUGE! Tip for Ladies......this is one LARGE salad! It would have feed all of us big guys at the table.....just sayin.....And it WAS yummy with fried battered pepperoncinis! Never had them like that before. My buddy and I both got their burgers, as this after all IS supposedly a burger joint! I got the Black Truffle Cheeseburger (they had me at truffle) and my buddy Steve got Boursin Bacon Burger (they had him with Boursin/Bacon). Both met my burger criteria of SLOPPY (meaning uber juicy), flavorful, and cooked no more than MEDIUM (for flavor). The mushrooms were fresh and black truffle cheese excellent! Oh and they serve them on BRIOCHE! I mean, who doesn't love a buttery brioche! The French are probably cringing that we Americans put a BURGER on them! But who CARES! It was AWESOME to have those flavors stuck between buttery pieces of soft bread! Good call Cowfish!

Finally, like THAT wasn't enough food, my buddy Steve gets a Carmel Chocolate Espresso Milkshake! He really need those extra 1000 or so calories to wash down the 3000 we just consumed! But boy was it delicious!

Tip #2: If you're on ANY kind of diet whatsoever, Cowfish is NOT YOUR PLACE! "Danger Will Robinson - the Calories are attacking!" But if you want excellent and flavorful food, then Cowfish IS the place for you! I had to "suspend" my diet for this day.....now I've got to bicycle around the world twice and ingest 5 doses of Lipator to get back on track....Can't wait to go back to try their PRIME TIME FILET & LOBSTER ROLL. That sounds yummy!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is a restaurant that is a top pick on places to dine in Charlotte. Vast menu that will make everyone in your party happy. From Burgers to Sushi and everything in between!