“Great place except for layout & bed”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great place except for layout & bed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I'm confused at previous reviews stating that the beds were really comfortable. I'm guessing they have never experienced an Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn bed. The sheets were anything but soft. The pillows were extremely thick and firm, which was really uncomfortable on my neck. I honestly could not sleep either of the nights I stayed here and was all too eager to get out of bed in the morning. The hotel and the rooms were very nice looking, but the layout of the floors were not designed for guest convenience. I'm sure nothing can be done about the layout at this point, but please add a little comfort to the beds. You can buy sheets and pillows at hamptonhomecollection.com.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I recently stayed at this Homewood Suites to attend the Wells Fargo Championship. This is a fairly new hotel. Nice size suites. Convienent walk to several places to eat and drink. Really enjoyed the managers reception and being hosted by Chef Matt! He was really attentive to our group and made us all feel welcome. Nice, quiet, new area. I share the same comments about the elevator location. The size of the elevator is average for
Hilton properties but it's placed awkward. Will be back here soon! -Cheers

• Stayed April 2012
nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Clean, new, spacious, no complaints. You really can't beat this hotel in this area of Charlotte and I am extremely picky.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights the weekend of 3/10/12 largely due to the wonderful reviews that we read on this site. I must say that 90% of the visit was great. So let me begin with the positive points. The bed was comfortable, the room was extremely clean and on the whole every area of the hotel had a fresh brand new scent. The hotel is located in a great community and the amenities are great. The night manager that checked us in was courteous and extremely helpful in providing information about the surrounding area.

Now let me begin with the negative side.

As my wife and I were preparing to leave on our final day of the stay (9:41 AM) over two hours before checkout (12 Noon) we heard an extremely loud knock on the door. There was a Do not Disturb sign on our door so this was very strange. I answered the door and spoke with a hotel employee who seemed to be going around to rooms checking for something. I deduced this because she had a checklist in her hand. She looked at me and asked “When are you guys checking out?” Taken aback by this strange question I said, “I don’t know?” She then proceeded to tell me that she needed to let housekeeping know because check-out would be at 11 AM so she needed a time. I pointed out the fact that my reservation and the placard on the back of the door clearly stated that check-out is 12 Noon. Her response to me was “Oh, well do you know what time you guys are leaving. I need to tell housekeeping.” Needless to say as I suppressed my frustration I said to her some time around 11. Frustrated by the fact that neither my wife or myself have ever experienced such rude treatment in all of our hotel visiting years she called down to the front desk and spoke to the manager. He informed her that the question was nothing out of the ordinary and that it was common for someone to come around to your room and see when you are leaving. My wife spoke with someone at the Hilton corporate offices and he told her that this was not common practice. So in short if you stay at this hotel be ready to answer your door 2 hours before it is time to check-out and make sure you have an answer for when you will be leaving the room that you paid for. Don’t worry Hilton hotels. We will be placing our Hilton Honors card into a permanent filing cabinet and we do not plan on staying in any of your facilities in the future. Thank you!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dktravels911
EddieStottlemyer, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and expressing you thoughts on our new property. As with all reviews, we can use this as a learning/training tool for our hotel to continue to improve. On your positive comments, thank you for your kind words. We take pride in the condition and cleanliness of our rooms. I'm glad you enjoyed the area we are located in as well. We also enjoy being a part of this community.
As for your less than positive reviews, thank you for these as well. When I spoke to your wife the morning of your checkout, I was not aware of the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door. You are correct in the fact that we should not have knocked on your door. I apologize for the distubance and also for the way we handled the situation. We hope you can give us another chance to show you our improvements and our desire to be the best hotel in the Charlotte area.
Should you have any other questions or concerns, please contact me at the hotel.

Sincerely
Eddie Stottlemyer
General Manager, Homewood Suites Charlotte Ayrsley.
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

The hotel is new so it was exceptionally clean and crisp.

Thestaff was seriosuly nice and accomodatibg, just a great visit ovall.

The chef was super nice and went well beyond .

If only all the mediocre Homewood suitesnout there could take field trip to this hotel and see how it should be done, life on the road would be so much better.

Please keep it up!

Room Tip: The two queen bed room suite is huge!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JoD696
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Family getaway weekend in January. Hotel was busy but hardly ever heard or saw anyone else. Booked the family two room suite and loved it. The interior layout is a bit unusual with long walks but you definitely do not hear the elevators or other guests. The modern color scheme was shocking at first but after the initial shock the green wall paper in the halls was soothing and relaxing and the carpet blended very well. Traveling with two college children they were very impressed as well and enjoyed their stay. Having restaurants and a very movie theater within close walking distance was another plus. Breakfast food was average but the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: Upper floor suites were very nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1moresunset
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed at the Homewood Suites located at 1921 Ayrsley Town Blvd, Charlotte NC. I had just checked out. I walked to my car and tried to start the engine but it wouldn't start. The manager Danny Helms walked out an gave me jump but it still did not start. He tested my starter and alternator and they were in good conditon. He then took the battery apart and cleaned it and then connected the battery. After he cleaned it, the car started. He went over and beyond his job duties and I was so thankful. Thanks again Danny.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple