“When The Plate Arrived...I think I heard angels sing!”
Review of The King's Kitchen

The King's Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The King's Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 2,535 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Church
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I grew up in the south, but have lived in CA since 1988. Needless to say, when I am back in the south I like to have some good southern food. WOW, is this place good. It is fresh, local southern food. For appetizers, I had excellent fried oysters with two dipping sauces...one of our group was a teenager and he had never tried oysters...he loved them...his eyes bugged open when he bit into it...it was so good. LOL. We also had a fabulous cucumber salad and a tomato soup...all great. I had wanted some fresh tomatoes since it was summer in the south, but I was told that today at the farmers market...they weren't good enough. I like that comittment to quality. I ordered the dark meat fried chicken with 3 sides I got fresh corn, cabbage and mac and cheese. I got a side of collards too...just because. When she put the plate down...I heard angels sing and they kept singing as I ate. OMG. The chicken was crispy, tasty and not greasy. The sides were like summers from my childhood...just amazing.

The only bad thing was my biscuit. You get a choice of cornbread or biscuit...I chose the biscuit...it was lovely to behold, but so hard I couldn't even open it..it was a rock. But, i was so full I did not even care. LOVE THIS PLACE.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Awesome place to eat. Great chicken, and awesome sides for the price. Very pleasant staff (Rodney, and Steve). Great to sit outside, and enjoy the view of the city. Great atmosphere, and great meal.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a terrific concept -- giving 100% of proceeds to organizations that help the homeless! But a great practice won't help a restaurant if its food doesn't make people want to go there--and fortunately The King's Kitchen has great food to match its philosophy.

Arriving the night before a professional conference at the hotel across the street, I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor and knew what I wanted to order to eat: the pan-fried chicken. But first I wanted to to try a local brew, and the wait person helped me to pick the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, a good strong brew for those of us who like dark beer and a bottle with a whimsical label. Drinking the stout as my dinner was prepared, I looked around at a diverse group of diners: people doing business, a large group of local friends or co-workers or church-people arriving to share a good meal, and couples out for a mid-week meal. As I had entered, nicely dressed individuals were enjoying a spread of appetizers and wine at a reception near the entrance, and the wait person told me a local business was having a good-bye party for one of their group.

Once my food arrived, though, I abandoned all thoughts of people-watching: that "meat and three" of the South consumed my attention. Having ordered all-white meat, I was surprised by the HUGE size of the breast and was glad the size of the wing was normal size. But big didn't translate to dry: the crispy exterior gave way to juicy meat, through and through. And who doesn't like wings? The proportion of crust to meat was perfect. And the collard greens, beans, and mac & cheese were perfect accompaniments to a Southern dinner. The mac & cheese was clearly home-made--no blue and yellow box was used to make that hearty side. The greens were well seasoned, and the beans were yummy, too. I'd opted for the cornbread, which was as flavorful and sweet as cornbread should be.

And the price? $14 for all that food?? Coming from the SF Bay Area, I was mightily pleased about how full I was for that price, and $4.50 for the bottle of beer was reasonable, too, I thought. A terrific find for an inexpensive, tasty dinner in a great city.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had a pretty lackadaisical waitress... she seemed like she was annoyed that she had to wait on us... but fortunately, everyone else in the entire restaurant was very pleasant (several others checked on us, so we wondered about her) and we had a really nice time. The fried chicken was really very good... the best that I've had anywhere, and I consider myself a connoisseur. I'm not much for potato puree (specifically asked the waitress if it was puree or not; she told me it wasn't), but even that was pretty good. Pimento and cheese dip was excellent - bread was a little chewy (should have been toasted) but the dip made up for it. I recall being pleased with the sides, but can't remember what else I had because the chicken so deeply overshadowed it. My only regret was that my stomach was still feeling a little rough from lunch at Sauceman's (read my review: never go to Sauceman's) so I wasn't up to cleaning my plate, but trust me, I wanted to. Had we not been heading to the MLL All-Star game after dinner, I would have rested a bit so that I could put every last bite down. Would love to go back again so that I could show them just how much I love their food!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Three of us went there for lunch, after hearing about their mission to train younger people for jobs. The food was very good and service was excellent.
We got to eat outside on the front porch area. My friend and I had the blackberry peach salad with walnut oil and walnuts. Absolutely delicious, with a little hint of sweetness. We also tried the soup of the day, with field peas, sweet potato and peppers. It was very good. The husband had the grilled meatloaf and sides.
We were slightly disappointed with the deviled eggs, four dollars for four halves, since the yolk was vinegar based rather than the mayonnaise base we are used to. The caramel cake was filled with run, a complete surprise and not really that welcome.
However, I think they were the best biscuits I have ever had...and I am not that young!
I would go again!

Been to The King's Kitchen? Share your experiences!