“Great Find Right in the City” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
HYATT house Charlotte Center City
Ranked #9 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Find Right in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with this property. We drove up from Athens, GA and stopped in Charlotte overnight on our way back to Washington, DC. I thought it would be neat for the kids to see the city lights on our last hotel night after a week's vacation. Boy were they happy! Floor to ceiling windows in the main living area and the King bedroom. We had a corner suite and it was superb and very chic. Valet parking only was not an issue for us, you have 24 hr accessibility to the car should you need it. Location is right next door to Time Warner Arena, a CTC Train station and a great shopping/dining district known as EpiCenter. I needed to grab some children's Advil and walked the block and a half to EpiCenter to grab it at CVS. There were people and police everywhere, felt safe for the walk. On my way back a hockey game let out at the Arena and the number of people doubled.
The room was great, full kitchen and fridge. Nice sofa bed that kids slept on, plus another chair. We got appetizers and a drink sent up from the very busy bar downstairs and watched a March Madness game on the at least 42" LCD TV in the living room. I highly recommend this hotel if staying in Charlotte proper. I plan to return with my husband for a fun weekend, just the 2 of us, sometime soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It is great you got to see and do so much on your short trip to our city! I hope the rest of your vacation was enjoyable as well. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in Charlotte, we would be happy to see you and your family again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Just finished an enjoyable stay at the Hyatt House in Charlotte. It is located right next to the Time Warner Cable Arena. The average size room included a nearly full size refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher. The included breakfast was much better than expected with an omelette station. Free wifi worked very well in the room and throughout the hotel. The pool was pretty small on the 7th floor, but the furniture around the pool was very comfortable. It seemed the pool was in the shade for most of the day. If you are interested - the Sprinter bus stops just across the street and down one block. This bus provides service every 20 minutes for the 20 minute ride to and from the airport. The bus makes limited stops and only costs $2 per person. No change for larger bills. The standard rate for a taxi is $25 from the airport to the city center.

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank timandjeanne
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us the next time you are in Charlotte!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

While planning a business trip to Charlotte (meetings at the Convention Center) I found this place. I contacted the sales director (Matthew Allen, posts here frequently) to verify that I'd be eligible for a government rate. As a state employee, sometimes hotels will allow me the gov't rate, other times it's only for federal employees. Matthew responded quickly and positively, so I booked that great rate (and had no trouble at checkin.)

This was a fabulous, modern and sleek, friendly hotel. An easy 5-6 block walk to the convention center, and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. A slightly longer walk to the Mint Museum (Uptown), but still a very pleasant walk in gorgeous weather. Close proximity to plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops. Felt very safe in the area. Went to a Charlotte Checkers (minor-league hockey) game one night, and it was great to be right next door to the arena.

Hotel itself was fantastic. My room was on the 14th floor. L-shaped, with the kitchenette immediately on the left as you walk in, with the couch/coffee table in front of you, and a window giving a pretty view of the arena and the skyline beyond. Off to the left was the very comfortable king-size bed, and the large flat-screen TV on the dresser pivots to face either the sofa or the bed. Around the corner was the large bathroom, with a big vanity, large closet, and then separate toilet/shower room, separated with a pocket door. Shower was large, and water pressure and temperature were both great.

I had a late dinner at the lobby's H-Bar on my first night. Though I didn't sit down until 10:40, and the bar/restaurant closes at 11 during the week, the staff made sure I got the food and drink I needed before closing down for the night. Super friendly.

Had breakfast there two of my three mornings. Omelette station was a great perk, and all the food was hot and fresh. Very comfortable lobby area -- on my last day, I left my baggage with the front desk and explored the area a bit. On my return, I had about an hour wait before my ride to the airport, and I lounged in the lobby, finding a convenient AC outlet so I could charge my dying phone.

Would gladly stay here again, either on my own or with my family on a tourist trip. Really great place -- first time I'd stayed at a Hyatt House, but I'll be looking for this brand in the future.

Only negative, and clearly not the hotel's fault: the city of Charlotte was doing some construction work on Trade Street immediately in front of the property. Road was dug up, then repaved, making it difficult to cross the street in front of the hotel, and making a rather unpleasant odor. Again, nothing the hotel could do about this; and I felt bad for the desk staff, having to smell that asphalt all day.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will obviously have less street noise. I heard NOTHING from the 14th floor -- rooms li...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is great that you enjoyed your stay with us! Please come back and see us real soon!
Edgefield, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

In fairness to your establishment, the room was beautiful, quiet and impeccable in its furnishings and cleanliness.
My wife and I had the complimentary breakfast the following morning and have no complaints, the food was varied, hot and very good.
Most of my interactions with the hotel staff was also very good. Most were helpful, pleasant and professional.
When I arrived on Friday, 12 April, I had already read previous reviews on trip advisor and was prepared that valet parking was the only option at this location at $22 evening. While I DO NOT mind paying for parking at premium locations, I detest valet parking (for security and damage reasons), I was appreciative knowing this up front (because hotel management comments on ALL the trip advisor reviews [I was most impressed with this fact it influenced me in choosing this hotel]) and thus I prepared for it. When I arrived at the hotel around 2:50pm....I pulled up to the valet booth and waited for 5 min without a soul in sight. Now I'm stuck...can't go forward and can't go back (without backing into busy traffic). My only option was the latter which nearly cost me getting rear ended right in front of your building. There was no sign on the valet station indicating it was manned and that they "would be back in a few minutes."
My wife and I ended up parking across the street in a public lot (offered at 12 hour increments). Not only did we end up having to carry all our luggage across the same busy street in which I was nearly hit, but I also had to get up at 3am...."to feed the meter"....nice.
On Saturday, when we checked out (13 April), I got to enjoy "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" on your elevators. I started "shuttling my luggage" at about 8:30 am. Since there is no service elevator I got to compete with all the housekeepers, custodians, and other service personnel trying to get to their work locations. While I was trying to go down from the 11th floor to the lobby...the elevator made 6 stops....9th floor, 11th floor, 12th floor, 14th floor and 15th floor....all housekeeping and service personnel....(and yes, I did hit the 'down' button because it took me to the 9th floor first). One of the service personnel must've picked up on my frustration because he indicated that his and housekeeping swipe cards must've overridden my card.
Upon check-out that morning on 13 April, I was asked by a nice, young attractive black receptionist if my stay was nice (to avoid the PC police giving me a hard time about mentioning the ethnicity of the receptionist, there were two on duty, one was white, one was black)...I replied "sort of" (it was about 9 am and had just completed the elevator shuffle). I explained and also mentioned the problems with valet parking. She apologized, but frankly, it was less than sincere, it seemed almost reflexive...meaning she hears ALOT of these complaints (which to me indicates supervisory/managerial issues). What I did find insulting from the young lady was when I mentioned the problems with valet parking. The young lady stated..."I'm sure they were in the process of parking other cars."....I replied...."how was I to know that?" She in turn stated, "Well you could've parked in front." I again replied, "How was I to know that...there are no signs indicating a that the front of the hotel was a loading zone [trade street is very busy and there's a lot of construction]". The receptionist replied, "well, we would've told you when you checked in"....I again replied, "It was when I was trying to park...TO CHECK IN."... The concept seemed beyond the grasp of the receptionist....and she continued to place the blame upon me instead of looking at the situation objectively and trying to ascertain how to communicate this information to a customer unfamiliar with the area and checking in for the first time. This information should be listed in "check-in" instructions and updated periodically as local situations change and arise...e.g. "Mr Jebens, when you arrive, please feel free to park in front of the hotel, this is our loading zone, you will not be ticketed, after which our receptionist will give you further instructions for valet parking and you may leave your bags in the lobby with our baggage clerk." Now, is that so difficult? The verbiage is standard and my name is inserted automatically in the name field. Once a month, the standard statement could be modified based upon activities at the Time Warner arena or other situations which might impact a guests check in.
Like I said, most of our visit was very pleasant and we had a great time...it's just a shame that a few incidents put a damper on our visit. Yes, I am a Gold Card rewards member.

Room Tip: Park in front to off-load bags and check-in. Then receive valet parking instructions. However, park...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jabba53e
Thank you for your review, I have already sent you an email in response to this, but I wanted to sum it up here as well.

In regards to your complaints with valet, I will take your advice and add that to our website, and to the confirmation letters as well. From our standpoint in the hotel, the pull off from Trade St, and our parking entrance are both very commonplace and easily accessible. You put the road construction in the way, along with guests who may or may not know their way in the city, and I can see how difficult this can be. We will add this information in for guests to help assist this in the future. I do apologize for your inconvenience.

If there was anything I wished more for in our hotel, it would be a service elevator. I am not sure why there was not one put in for just this type of situation. Our staff knows better than to monopolize the elevators when guests are trying to use them. That is not saying that it does not happen, they are supposed to let the guests get to their floors first. When we break out the rooms to our staff in the morning, there should only be one time when the staff does ride up the elevators to help to keep this from being too much of an issue for our guests. I apologize that you were caught in the middle of that.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything else we can do to help.
KS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located directly next to the Arena and a short walk downtown. Unlike others, I didn't feel the rooms were particularly large, so make sure you request one if you're looking for that. It is nice to have the mini kitchenette.
Staff was very nice, particularly the folks at breakfast. Nice way to start the day!
All in all, I would stay here again, but I think I just prefer a more full service hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are a select serve hotel, but we are constantly adding new amenities and services. Please feel free to contact us directly at the hotel and let us know what additional services we can add to make your stay more enjoyable.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here overnight while in town for the Eric Clapton concert. We normally stay at the Omni EpiCentre or the Ritz-Carlton, but the proximity to the arena--they actually share some common walls--tempted us to try out Hyatt House. The value was phenomenal! The suites are very large and include a desk area, a fully stocked mini-kitchen (plates, glasses, silverware, paper towels, pyrex, full fridge, stove top, toaster, microwave), a seating area with a couch and a large HD flatscreen TV, bed, separate dressing area/vanity and closet, and bathroom with walk-in shower with Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities. Our room was clean, smelled fresh, and was decorated nicely. We ordered room service before the concert and it was delivered promptly, was hot and tasty, and didn't break the bank. Wi-Fi is included in the room charge, there was even a full-size tube of toothpaste in the bathroom, and the continental breakfast that was included exceeded our expectations. The breakfast includes a made-to-order omelet station, hot items including eggs, sausage, breakfast potatoes, French toast; and cold items including breakfast breads, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cereals, multiple juices, etc. We will definitely keep this hotel in mind the next time we stay overnight in Charlotte. It was a good value in the center of the city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us for the Eric Clapton concert! Please keep us in mind the next time you come into Charlotte, we would love to have you back.
NC, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We loved the decor and how clean was the room. The only issue for us was parking since we called and they informed that parking was free but when we arrived we were informed that was Usd 22,00 and the other alternative was to park outside and remove the car every 12hrs. Overall experience was great and we highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry to hear you had an issue with parking, I will speak with the desk and find out what had happened. I am wondering if you called one of our sister properties in Charlotte, and not us. They all have free parking, and our hotel has always had a charge to park here.
Please keep us in mind if you are coming back to Charlotte.