“Hidden Treasure”

HYATT house Charlotte Center City
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I reserved a King studio suite. It felt like I had walked into a high rise apartment. The decor is urban chic with a warm feel. I the bed was very comfortable. There was a bench right in front of the bed. The living area was was cozy and the sofa and chair were comfortable. The bathroom had very decorative features and was very clean. I would definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't like was teh valet only parking option that costs $20 per night.

1  Thank Sonja M
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for leaving us such a great review. Please come back to see us the next time you are in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,320)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed there 3 nights. The staff was both friendly and accommodating. The room was equipped with a microwave,mini-fridge and a coffee maker. The beds were comfortable and my wife is picky when it comes to beds. The breakfast that was provided was not your typical breakfast. For one thing, they had omlettes made to order. It's right next to the basketball arena, a 5 minute walk to the Epicenter and about a mile to where the Carolina Panthes play. My son lives in Charlotte (2.5 miles away) and this is where we'll be staying for all future visits. By the way,the H Bar was fun but only open to 11:00. Many other places to go so it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: If you want to save money on parking you can park in one of the near-by open lots for $10/day.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear we will be your new home when you come to Charlotte. Please come and see us anytime.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for two nights, paying conference rate, so I don't know how it would compare at full price, but I think it was an excellent choice for my trip (visiting the new UNC building a few blocks away). The staff are incredibly friendly and pleasant, the room was huge and comfortable (I particularly loved the cozy easy chair), the bathroom had classy toiletries, the internet is free and reliable, and the breakfast (also included) was delicious and, again, staffed by very friendly people. You can easily get to key places like the arena, the Museum of the New South, and the 7th street market, as well as all sorts of public transport - but if you're after something more authentic, or more 'cutesy', not sure this is the place for you. It's an excellent hotel for visitors to that area of Charlotte, people on business, or those with a car - and it's inspired me to look to Hyatt hotels for future trips too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel! We definitely look forward to you coming back to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Having read some reviews after I stayed, I should say this hotel is a sort of standard American affair. I agree with other reviewers that the bus centre area looked rather dodgy, though nothing happened when I passed through it around 10 pm. I was with another guest at the hotel who was attending the same conference, and I think I'd avoid the area if I were alone.
I stayed three nights at this hotel to attend a conference in the downtown.The room was clean and functional, though I found it rather odd that there was no door/separation between the loo and the wardrobe-washing basin room. It was OK for me as I was on my own but it could have been rather awkward if I stayed with another person. The shower angle was a bit inconvenient, and although I'd prefer a detachable one, sufficient hot water was available and water pressure wasn't too bad. Wi-Fi is free but the connection got weaker at times. There is a kitchenette with a coffee maker, a microwave and a dishwasher. As I'm not American, it'd be nicer to have manuals for the latter two, even though I could figure out how to use them. Also, it would have been nicer to be offered at least one herbal tea bag -- there was one English breakfast and one Earl Grey and that was all.
The staff was friendly in the sense that they didn't glare at me and would answer my questions or tried to find the information. I felt, however, that most of my questions concerned the kind of information that would be offered without asking at a hotel in a larger city. And none of them addressed to me by name - no personal touch.
The most annoying thing was the lifts. It's necessary to insert a card key to operate it, and sometimes it just didn't move. Other guests commented on this, so it wasn't just me, I think.

Room Tip: Probably ask whether an upper-floor room is available -- I wasn't asked but somebody else was.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
While it seemed overall your stay with us was a good one, I am very sorry we were not able to meet all of your expectations. I would like to address a few of the concerns you had with your guest room:
You mentioned no door separating the bathroom area from the sink, we do have pocket doors that separate the 2 areas. We opted for these types of doors as it makes the space more functional without having to have to deal with an open door blocking space. If you do return, you will see a handle in the door frame separating the 2 rooms, if you pull that, the door will slide out for you.
Our shower heads are adjustable and can be directed at any angle. We do have shower wands available in our ADA rooms, not in our other guest rooms however.
We do offer free WiFi in our hotel, and we just upgraded our system adding more connections and bandwidth. The time you were here, we were full, and it does put a little extra strain on the connections, I do apologize if it slowed down a bit for you.
For the manuals, I have forwarded this to our housekeeping staff, we are looking in to putting an instructional card in the room for our appliances, thank you for the suggestion.
We do offer a larger selection of teas in our breakfast area, and it is available upon request. There is always an issue of offering a larger selection in the guest rooms with quality and freshness.
I did not understand your comment about the information being given out. Our front desk staff will always try to get the best answer for you for whatever question you may have. I do apologize they did not address you by name, we do usually pride ourselves on knowing our guests. Please feel free to contact me directly with the other items you feel we should have offered for you as I am not quite sure what you are referring to.
We do have the card readers in the elevators for your safety and security. This does deter people who do not belong in the hotel or on the floors to keep out. The card readers have recently been replaced in the elevators, but I am not sure of the exact dates of your stay.
Thank you again for your review, and please consider us the next time you are in Charlotte.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed there for four nights in connection with a conference at the University's Center City building. Hyatt House is close to the center of Charlotte (the crossing of Tryon and E Trade Streets), to quite a number of restaurants, the Time Warner Cable Arena (if interested) and the central Bus terminal (from where there is a badly publicized but excellent city bus service (nr. 5) to the airport, every 20 minutes, as quick as any taxi, and only $2!).
The room had everything you need if not more. I could have done without a huge fridge, for example. Bed and bathroom were more than just good.
Free WLAN, but the connection was more than shaky on my floor (a cable with jacks worked better).
Great breakfast with hot and cold options.
I would go there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay while you were here. We are very close to everywhere you would want to go in Uptown Charlotte, and it is great you got to experience that.
Out hotel is set up and designed as an extended stay hotel which is why you had the full size refrigerator, kitchen, etc in your room. All of our HYATT house properties are set up similarly in case you are ever in need for that type of hotel.
Thanks again for staying with us, we hope you do come back to see us!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spent 5 nights here in October 10-15. Down town Charlotte is a wonderful city to visit and everything is walking distance from here as well as Charlotte Motor Speedway only 25 minutes away. Front desk and service were great as was the bar and breakfast. Our only minor issue was the valet parking. The guys were great and super fast. It was expensive but if you're going to worry about $100 over 5 days then maybe you should re-think vacation. It was more that if we forgot or wanted something out of the car we felt bad about having it brought down - not that valet complained. Without doubt we would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you so much for the review, we are so happy you enjoyed our property. Please come back to see us the next time you are in town!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hyatt House is perfectly reasonable hotel that is also located within easy walking distance to business meetings downtown (that they call uptown).

The good: The rooms are freshly modern with pretty nice furniture (w/ a bid screen TV) and a kitchen as well. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable. Everything was clean. The gym has about a half dozen cardio machines (2 elliptical, 3-4 treadmills) and weights. At 6 in the morning it was already getting full. The terrace looked quite nice (but no one was one it the night I went out), and there's a (tiny) pool. The location is next door to the arena, and 2-3 blocks from the major banking centers. Breakfast is included, and is standard American fare including an omelet station (coffee was not good). Finally, the front desk staff were friendly and, most importantly, most accommodative with my request for an upper (quieter) floor.

The maybe-not-so-nice: There really are no good views from this hotel. It's next door to flat parking lots that are quite bright at night so you'll have to close the curtains. My room was one of the handicapped rooms, which made the bathroom and closet oddly equipped for a big guy like me. The door handle was a locking slider that took me several minutes to figure out when I accidentally closed it and locked myself out. The closet only had a lower rung, meaning I couldn't hang my trousers lengthwise to keep knee creases out. The shower pressure left much to be desired, and it took a while to get fully soaked. Finally, you do have to walk past the dodgy bus center to get to the Epicenter mall and restaurants, but I have always felt safe doing so in this town (as opposed to others).

For the value, I'd stay here again. Certainly beats the Omni.

Room Tip: Try rooms on higher floors, northern / western side for what little view factor there is to be had a...
1  Thank BlueWindez

Thank you for your comments, I do hope we see you here again.
I do apologize for your room, we try not to put people in our ADA rooms unless they are requested, or if it is all we have left in the hotel.
As far as the views, because of the location of the hotel, we do only have views of the city facing West, and to the East is the Government center, and Midtown/Elizabeth areas.
Please consider us the next time you are in the area, we would be happy to have you back.