“Very Good, Only one problem, not quite what we expected, Great Staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews
Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
north carolina
“Very Good, Only one problem, not quite what we expected, Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 20 -30 minutes away from the attraction we were going to see, due to the fact when I looked it up on "Trip Advisor" it was ranked #1 hotel in the Charlotte area. While the hotel was fine with just a couple exception, I don't understand this rating. For what you pay, it is what you would expect-certainly not the best hotel in Charlotte! The staff was friendly, the breakfast bar okay, and the room was clean. Exactly what you would expect for the price (actually we used points)-I would have stayed in a closer property, had this not been over-rated on "Trip Advisor". It was fine-but not the number one hotel in Charlotte!!!

Room Tip: No view of any kind-rooms really were the same.
1 Thank lornalynn
Wes S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
lornalynn,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and understand that we are not a direct downtown location. The ranking system is based heavily on staff service and overall satisfaction within a guest stay, which is something I am very proud to say we provide consistently with all of our guests. We are certainly always looking to improve and are currently adding a full breakfast to our buffet. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations and provide the best service around. We hope to see you again here soon and again, thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
fiftymilli0n
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am a Gold Elite Rewards customer and I frequent Marriott hotels on a weekly basis. I have stayed at this hotel several times and have been pleased in the past. The service levels have as of recent, diminished from good to bad to just horrible. I have several images that will show plenty.

1. The staff are NEVER at the front desk! You literally have to walk back into the back office to joint someone into helping you. This happened at least 4 times during my 2-day stay. After the final attempt to locate a front desk clerk, I literally had to walk outside and interrupt one at the entrance of the hotel who thought nothing to take a smoke break right at the automated doors. Unbelievably SAD service!

2. Very few of the amenities actually are operational! After walking to the pool area with my family, we were quickly dismayed to find out that the hot tub was out of service. There wasn't a date or time given regarding its return to functionality.

3. Disappointed from the hot tub being out-of-service, my family and I attempted to just go for a swim. This part is very disgusting but I must honestly share with all. There was unimaginably nasty fecal-looking slime floating in the pool and on the side of the pool. I could not totally identify the substance, so I walked to the front desk to ask if the clerk could have someone clean the area. Yep, you guessed it, there was no CLERK AVAILABLE at the front desk. Needless to say, I gathered my family and we immediately checked out and checked into the Residence Inn at Concord Mills.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNTIL YOU VIEW MY PICTURES…YOU CAN FIND BETTER, YOU DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank fiftymilli0n
Wes S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I can assure you that we as a team have reviewed this and have set some procedures in line to ensure that this does not occur again. Our property has been recognized consistently over the last year for our superior customer service scores and rankings and your visit certainly did not show you any of that. Unfortunately our SPA did have some major repairs that we needed and the parts took a little longer than we anticipated. The SPA has since been repaired and is fully functional. We take feedback here very seriously and when we do get a negative stay experience our entire team is notified and put on alert. We use this opportunity to better ourselves and ensure that we stick to our number one goal, to consistently provide superior customer service and ensure that our guests' return. If you would like to speak to me further regarding this matter feel free to contact me at wes.santos@marriott.com or 980-245-9200. Again thank you for your loyalty and we appreciate the feedback.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This 3 year old property looks brand new. Our suite was spacious and had two distinct living areas, partitioned but not completely able to be closed off from others. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The sleeper sofa was a typical sleeper, as I climbed in to greet my 11 yo as he woke: not a horrible bed for a 80 pound kid, but it might be for an adult BUT that is true of most sleeper mattresses.

Every single staff member that we came in contact with, whether alone or in our family of 5, greeted us with a hello and a smile. Every one. Breakfast was typical of Fairfield Inns, as far as selection, but there was always an attendant there filling items or cleaning the area. We were only there overnight, so we didn't use the pool, but this would be a comfortable place for a longer stay.

We were traveling US 77 from Florida to PA and it was about 10 minutes off our route but my husband and I both agreed that it was worth it, even tho we typically prefer to stay right off our route. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wes S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
eskmom,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! We are pleased to hear that you found our facility brand new and well kept. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our place is kept as new as when we first opened our doors! I will pass along your kind words regarding our staff during our next ''team huddle''. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you again along your travels! Thank you,
north salem, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We came to Charlotte to visit grandma and needed a hotel close to her new condo and the Fairfield Inn was around the corner. There was no sign on the road so it was very difficult to see. If you stay there look for the Sun Suites sign. The staff was incredibly helpful with all of our requests. The room was nicely appointed and clean. The only problem we had was that there was no hot water at 7am for showers. This is a good choice if you need to stay in the area.

merjoe,
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to hear that our team took great care of you throughout your stay and that your room exceeded expectations. I have certainly spoken to our maintenance team regarding your hot water issue and I can assure you this will not be an issue again. We appreciate the feedback and use it as an opportunity to better ourselves everyday. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you,
Mount Pleasant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Fairfiield Inn in Charlotte, North Carolina. for only one evening as we were on a short business trip. We definitely would stay here again. The room and bathroom were clean and spacious. I loved the furniture, decor, and the lobby walls and hall carpeting of tropical green and peach colors. Breakfast was fine. Unfortunately we did not have enough time for the hot breakfast. The staff at the desk and in the breakfast room were helpful. For dinner we found a very good restaurant only a few miles away toward Matthews.
The Fairfield's location, however, is difficult to see. The road directly to the inn entrance is not noticeable. I think more signage would help. We were driving west toward Charlotte and missed the turnoff, which is on the left. We had to turn around and to return to the entrance. Later we found an easier way to exit and enter. You can turn at the trafffic light before the Fairfield Inn, as you are going west toward Charlotte. The light is a very short distance from the Fairfield Inn. Then you approach the Inn from the back rather than making the sharp left turn after the traffic light. Once inside the Fairfield Inn you will be glad you arrived.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our hotel. I will pass along your kind words to our breakfast and front office staff. I am glad to hear that your liked our decor package as it has been very successful with our guests. We are looking into better signage for our hotel as we understand the importance of being more visible especially with the amount of out of town guests that we have. We hope to improve this and I am glad to hear that you will be back. Thank you,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Fiarfield Inn and Suites in Charlotte in a king suite during the weekend of June 21, 2013. The hotel was conveniently located to many restaurants and shopping. Great hotel with reasonable prices. Outstanding customer service.

1 Thank SharonD0915
SharonD,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide some sound feedback after your recent visit. Our team takes great pride in providing consistently superior customer service and I will certainly share your review during our next meeting. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!
Aurora
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This Fairfield is a nice hotel.
But the fact that we found very strange (and inappropriate) items in our room ruined the night for us.

Our kids found:
1. Empty condom box in dresser drawer
2. Two informational "cards" about HIV and syphilis in the same drawer
3. Two unused saline enemas in another dresser drawer
4. Two (thankfully) unused condoms in the nightstand drawer next to the Gideon bible.

Obviously some very strange things happened in this room. The fact that these items weren't cleaned out and removed called into question the cleanliness of the entire hotel. It made us want to bathe in bleach.

Minor complaint - but still irritating - is that we only had three sets of towels for our family of four. When I reserved the room, I specifically indicated four people and extra towels (this happens at every Marriott so I was hoping we'd get a towel for each person).

To their credit, the staff was very apologetic and understanding.

I have stayed in many hotels for both business and pleasure, and this is the first time I've ever found anything like this in a room.

2 Thank DGeorges
DGeorges,
Thank you so much for providing feedback during your recent visit. I am very disappointed to hear that your room was not thoroughly inspected. I have spoken to all staff that were involved with this incident and can assure you this will never happen again. We have since even added a new policy regarding this so this never comes up again. As you probably saw from our ratings, we pride ourselves in providing a clean and comfortable stay with exceptional customer service which has boosted us to the #1 hotel in Charlotte. I hope you can give us another opportunity to show that we are much better than this. If I can do anything for you in the future please feel free to contact me at wes.santos@marriott.com. Thank you,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
East Forest
BEST WESTERN PLUS Charlotte/Matthews Hotel

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews? Share your experiences!