“Great Hidden Gem”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pecan Ave
Transit: Bus Number 9, 17, 39
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having grown up in Charlotte seeing it go from a small town to the 2012 DNC site has been incredible. When my parents bought their house in the South Park area, there was no mall, only a cow pasture, clearly, a lot has changed.

Happily the restaurant scene in Charlotte has grown, as well, and Bistro La Bon is a fabulous addition to the city's expanding culinary tastes. Its location is one that is unexpected, and makes the experience a bit adventurous, as though one just has to be in on a little secret in order to know where some of the best food in the greater Charlotte area is being served.

All of the dishes I have tried are absolute stars, but the one that first pops into my head is the pan seared halloumi appetizer. The word succulent doesn't often come to mind when describing cheese, but succulent is, indeed, what this dish is! It's savory, warm, buttery, and hearty all at the same time, and as a contrast, the halloumi is accompanied by delicate, fresh greens, as well as, sweet figs.

The pan seared scallops are a must, they are cooked to perfection, and having not been such a huge fan of scallops prior to trying Bistro La Bon's dish, my mind has been forever changed. They are tender, and juicy, never trespassing into the dreaded "rubber zone."

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the saffron risotto with roasted seasonal vegetables. If you are longing for some really great comfort food the creamy warm risotto is the way to go.

The first time I dined at Bistro La Bon was during the summer when their seasonal dessert, peach tarte tartin, was on the menu. All I can say is that this dish so rightly deserves the "best desert" award it was given by "Creative Loafing." If the peach tarte tartin is not an option when you visit, I recommend the bourbon brioche bread pudding; it's scrumptious.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Located in a strip mall next to a Family Dollar store, you could easily pass by this place but that would be a mistake..imaginative menu, passionate leadership and helpful staff. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu but one thing is a must...save room for the brioche bread pudding. Creme Brulee is a close runner up too...

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I am a foodie and most of my friends are also. This restaurant is my favorite spot for eclectic 5 star dining. Tonight my friends shared the special menu for our Restaurant Week. Each of us choose a different entrees and desserts, which was great and we shared them so that we could have more of a tasting experience. From the very start of this wonderful 4 course menu everything was wonderfully over the top in qualiity, freshness innovation and beautifully prepared and plated. Our server was attentive and sensitive to us not wanting to rush our meal. From their famous swedish meatball entree to the salmon dish and also to the veggie and mac and cheese entree, everything was just super. We wore smiles across our faces with the 3 desserts of bread pudding, dark chocolate cake with a mango sorbet and a peach cobbler.
The wines by the glass were fairly priced and we had good recoomendations from our server. Apart from this restaurant week menu selection, the main menu is well priced and shows depth in selections throughout the meal. We had another delightful evening and I won over two more friends to add this spot to their top choice for dining out.

bistrolabon, Manager at Bistro La Bon, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your review! We're glad you enjoyed it, see you soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This brunch spot is not to be missed! Yes, the previous reviews are correct! Chocolate waffles and french toast are made to order, but don't make the mistake I did and let a four year old sample the chocolate waffles........yep, bouncing off the walls! The Black forest ham salad is still calling my name, that stuff was just too darn good. They also had pork loin, roast, pastries, sweet potato hash, fruit, etc. Check it out for brunch, and as another yelper mentioned, try the coconut macaroons.....you won't regret it!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This past Friday nite my wife and I decided to drop into Bistro La Bon to sip on drinks and have dinner. I've dined here in the past and enjoyed it but I was totally blown away on Friday. I had the Free Range Chicken with Sage Pesto and Parmesan Fettucini. It was the most amazing tasting dish I've had in a very long time. Bravo to the chef (whom I thanked in person while I was there). This dish had so much amazing flavor....I would give anything to be able to do that myself. The atmosphere was great, the wait staff was fun. The karaoke loving bartender was a lot of fun and was helpful with drinks and wine. We had a lot of fun and an amazing dinner. I also thought it was priced very reasonably at $18.000. Highly recommended!