“Run Away!”

Ranked #114 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Oak Island, NC
“Run Away!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Red Roof Inn website said the rooms had all new furnishings. Wrong!!! The only thing new was a flat screen TV. The website has since been changed. The room smelled bad, the carpet was dirty and sticky, lighting was dark, the refrig would not stay cold because the temperature knob had been broken off, I had to ask for towels, electric cords plugged in in the room went to the room next door through a hole in the wall (fire hazard), and to top it off, there was black mold on the shower head, faucet, and drain. I shortened my stay and went someplace else. I have been to many other Red Roof inns before and never had a problem, but this place will make me think twice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scoobynoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

But as they say, ya get what ya pay for! The worst part of it really was that the room was STINKY! And the inside of the hotel was super old. I was a little spooked parking and coming in the back door. And I found I couldn't exit by the back door... I had to walk thru the lobby, which took longer to get to my car and I was boggled down with luggage and a small dog, and finally a chip on my shoulder. I can only figue that there must be suspicion based on history, that guests might flee out that door without paying. I was also spooked enough to put a chair by the door when I was in the room and delight in little Rover's senses for a change (!). The bright news though, is that it was pretty quiet, I made it out alive and the place really was a bargain. The staff was nice too, and that is a major plus to me. So though the place was ugly as heck, looking back, the price was right, I still have my arms and legs, and I no longer smell like the person who was there before me. Don't know if I'd stay there again tho! I might want to start living life to the fullest and stay someplace better!

Room Tip: Inspect it before you pay for it. A good sniff test at minimum.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

Asheville, NC
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I usually stay @ Red Roof Inn when I travel. I had a very important medical conference to attend and thought I would stay here....Since there is a word limit I will break this down..
>Toilet was broken. Handle and the inside of the tank was missing.
>Mat on bottom of tub coming up with white string glue consuming the entire bath.
>Handle to sink broke off in hand.
>Blood found on floor next to tub.
Changed rooms...
>water bubble ready to break above the bathtub.
>2 Box TV's that did not work.
> Overwhelming smell of cigarettes in the room.
> Mattress had springs poking thru it.
>Knobs in bathroom were missing.
Received refund and paid only 30$ more for the Hilton suite w/whirlpool. I do not have high expectations...and this was WAAAY below what any hotel should have!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Need to be renovated!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stace101
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The check in staff was great! He was knowledgeable about the area and next time he saw me asked if the room was ok and if I needed anything extra. The room was nice and it was the perfect location! The price was just right! I would definitely stay at a Red Roof again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We had to get switched from one room to another because the heat & lamp didn't work. The room was very outdated. The new room we were switched to was very updated and more modern in style. All the rooms should be updated, especially if you are paying the same price.

• Stayed February 2013
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've been to Charlotte, NC several times and the first time there I stayed at this Red Roof Inn. I was very pleased with the check-in staff. They were extremely helpful with answering all questions. With their policy of pets stay for free; that was a big plus. I booked on-line but thought once I got there I would find out otherwise but was shocked that my dogs did stay free. With other places charging anywhere from $10-$20 a night it has saved me a lot of money. Parking was good. Breakfast is typical with bagel, muffins, waffles, milk, and coffee (cereal I think, I go for the waffles). The morning staff was very nice and does quick check-outs. They were helpful with one stay where I needed to extend my stay; it was done quickly and without any issues. Overall I love staying at this hotel and will be back a couple more times in the next few months. I don't even bother looking for other hotels b/c this one meets all my needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Never stayed at a Red roof in before but after trying it the first night of our trip and having such a wonderful experience we deceided to try it for our second night. we made prior reservations and when we got to the inn at night we found that they never had our reservations. we were told no problem we fill still honor the price. I have severe back problems but was made to walk upstairs not only once but twice. needless to say it was late and i was very upset. the front desk man at night didnt really handle himself about the situation very well. Then came Miguel. He turned a bad situation into a great experience. gave me an upgraded room because he saw how upset i was. we stayed for three nights. between Miguel taking care of a situation that was becoming a disaster and the front desk day lady who was so warm and sincere i felt like i was very at home. the room was beautiful and the people wonderful. i will always look for red roof in for my first choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple