“Visit at your own risk”

Basil Thai Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 2,496 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fourth Ward
Description: Refined Thai Cuisine and an invigorating dining experience in the heart of downtown Charlotte, NC. Basil's infectious atmosphere centers around a prominent glass kitchen as the sound of heat to metal, blade to board and liquid to flame resonate throughout the restaurant. Dine with us and celebrate quality cuisine made with the finest, freshest ingredients.Private rooms and catering available!!
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Basil has been my favorite restaurant for a long time now but my last experience makes me wonder how a single incidence of rude,obstinate,i-dont-care attitute and i-can-get away-with-it as Im the owner can make me frightened of ever stepping in that restaurant again.
I went with a group of 9 colleagues from office to celebrate one of the good occasions. Needless to say we were all happy and glad about this break. We love Basil food but when our order started arriving the waiter who had taken our order was not serving the food but someone else. He messed up most of our orders but we adjusted among ourselves. Im a vegetarian with no egg no meat no tofu in my order. When my food arrived, I politely asked "is it no egg no meat" even before i saw the plate. It had egg in it. The waiter was angry and said “the note says no meat so did u say no egg?” His voice was so loud and rude, he was almost screaming. I said yes “No egg no meat and no Tofu was what i had ordered for”. He shouted a few more things like now this is a change of order and literally slammed the door and walked into the kitchen. I had enough and said “please cancel my oder as i was in no mood to eat”. The waiter who had taken my order came back and said –“sorry. I cant help it because he is the owner.”
All my teammates had started the lunch and i used all my will power to not walk out of this place. For 2 reasons i did not want to insult the food that was on the table and the mood of my teammates. (not that it was the same when we had arrived)

I wanted to write a complaint in the register but they did not give me one and said they cannot help it as the owner was always like this when stressed. I wonder if he thinks he can get away with this rude behavior because he thinks because they are nice to certain kind of people and can be rude to ceratin other. I do not want to give another dimension to this by referring to it as racial discrimination because I can never imagine him talking to my clients like that and will give the benefit of doubt as a one in case of arrogance.

Next time you are there be mentally prepared for someone to come and start screaming at you for their mistake. Go at your own risk

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Each dish is individualy cook when order to your preference. Unlike chinese food, when you order your dish at some restaurant foods are already in large quantity and are then warm when order.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Have been here with friends on several occasions. The food is usually very good, sometimes excellent, rarely not so good. Service is usually great with only a few missteps. The Fresh Basil Rolls are usually a crowd pleasing appetizer. The Tom Kha Gai soup is always a table favorite. The Volcano Shrimp, Crispy Red Curry Duck, and Basil Duck are usually ordered. The prices seem a bit expensive. But I have enjoyed myself each time I have been there. There is valet parking but it is not complimentary as most restaurants have in Uptown Charlotte. On a busy night it can take a while for your car to be brought around.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I loved this restaurant. Went with friends and we ranged from vegans to meat lovers and we all loved our meal.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I were looking forward to good thai food during this visit, we had never been here before but the reviews were wonderful so we decided to do dinner. I wish we hadn't. We were seated immediately, however nobody even came to get our drink order for about 10 minutes. We had begun discussing whether or not we should just leave by this point. Once the waiter did show up, the service was just basic, we got our drinks, ordered food, were asked how things were once, offered dessert and brought the check but nothing more than that. We shared one of the duck items which was billed as the chef's specialty. We were expecting crispy skin as the duck was reportedly deep fried, but it was fatty soggy skin. The sauce was fairly bland for Thai food. Frankly we can get better Thai for a lot less money at home. On a side note, the tables are slick surfaced and the plates won't stay still on them. There was nothing to tack them down so we spent the entire time wondering if we were going to fling our plates across the room any time we attempted to cut a bite sized piece out of our duck. When dessert was brought we were not brought utensils to eat it with and ended up waiting on those. We saw the guy who brought it to us (not our waiter) turn around and heard him say "oh spoons" but it was half a room away and there was no forthcoming apology either. Average food, horrible service, and as compared to what I'd pay at home terrible price.