“Couldnt have asked for more!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Ranked #11 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is stunning, the staff is amazing, the location is great - what more could you ask for! I recently stayed at the Ritz Charlotte for a wedding and had the best experience. The bell man was kind, attentive, and greeted me by name when I left or came back to the hotel. The front desk was amazingly accomidating and nice. The hotel itself is brand new and right across from the best restaurants and bars in Center City. Absolutely recommend staying here and will definately be back during my next visit!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank buffnyc

Reviewed September 20, 2010

This looks like a very new hotel. Decor is more modern than most Ritz Carltons, and seems more relaxed. Seems like RC took some cues from the W brand for this hotel. Great bar in lobby area. Greeted with a glass of champagne and very friendly staff. Hotel is very well appointed and the rooms are extremely comfortable. Room was spacious with plenty of storage. Bathroom is huge and very nice. Enjoyed the TV in the mirror in the bath. Great entertainment complex across from the hotel with numerous bars, restaurants etc. Great location for concerts or Panthers games. Valet parking was $30.00, but this is a downtown hotel, so in line with other parking options.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Love this place! Champaign or honey pecan ice cream when you arrive. Amazing rooms, great work out center, nice restaurant and the service is spot on. Everyone has been great. The maid came in for turn down service and made me an expresso. Had room service twice, great food and right on time. Landry service also spot on. Rooms have everything you want band more. Can't find a thing I don't like.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank housermania
Reviewed September 1, 2010

The Ritz Carlton never ceases to amaze me. The Ritz in Charlotte is a re-envisioned version of the classic, a modernized contemporary version of everything you love about the hotel. From the moment you walk in the door until the unfortunate moment when you depart you are dazzled with the service of their excellent team of people and the beauty of hotel.

We stayed for three days in advance of a conference elsewhere in the city. We had a junior suite with a living room and bedroom overlooking the EpiCenter. Other travelers noted a lot of noise from the late night goings on. It was a little noisy but seemed energetic rather than annoying. The location in the city is great. Lots of excellent restaurants to walk to.

The room was beautiful, contemporary and a bit edgy in a good way. It's a LEED certified hotel so you get to be green as well as taken care of. Our bellman, Oliver, gave us a great overview of the hotel, shared his local favorites, and remembered our name the next day. We were there on the evening of a wedding. It provided for some great people watching as the fashionistas wandered to the ballroom, We enjoyed cocktails and some lunch at the bar.

On our second evening our son arrived. The housekeeping people handled making the pull out couch and voila, another bedroom. The gym was well equipped and clean. You can do your cardio while looking out the windows. When we came in from a morning walk around the neighborhood, the hotel had a nice coffee bar set up. When I asked for tea which wasn't available, a hot cup showed up while we sat and read the newspaper.

Bathroom well stocked with a double sink and wonderful shower. The in mirror TV was fun too.

All in all it was a great stay. We are planning on a girl's visit later in the year when we will have time to make plans to use the spa.

It was a great break in the hot summer action.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ViennaVoyager
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This Ritz is very nice. Its brand new and the rooms and lobby are very modern. Some Ritz locations have a very traditional and stuffy feel but this hotel is very clean and current. BLT, the restaurant downstairs, is pretty good (I've only had dinner there once). The service is excellent. The rooms are very big (this is Charlotte after all) and the bathrooms are very nice - they all include a nice soaking tub and a flat TV in the wall. Yes, you can watch trashy reality TV as you get ready for your day.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank phillyvisitor
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We decided to go to Charlotte to do a little shopping and have dinner with friends. Since the Ritz is a new choice we thought that we would give it a try. We reserved on line - the breakfast package- the room rate included breakfast for 2 and valet parking. When I made the reservation it asked if we wanted feather or foam pillows. I requested foam as I have an allergy.
We checked in around 3 pm on a Friday. The lobby was empty and the front desk clerk was pleasant but seemed disorganized. The bell man was very good and pointed out the hotel's amenities as he took us to tthe room. The room itself was very clean. The decor is very old world gentleman's club.
We went down to the lobby bar to have some lunch. The bartender was overwhelmed with 3 couples in the bar area. She said that usually she isn't busy and spends her time slicing fruit so the number of people there was " a lot to handle'. We had a burger and a quesadilla. The burger was fine but not special. The quesadilla was really bad. The cheese tasted old and the quesadilla was on a plate with no garnish. There was a side plate with sour cream, guacamole and salsa. None of these items was particularly good. I had prosecco and my boyfriend had a beer. The total was almost $60 for very average food and the service was disorganized at best.
When we returned to the room I realized that it was all feather. I called the front desk and was put on hold for 5 minutes. I hung up at that point and called the housekeeping number. They sent up 2 foam pillows, that was it. I had to ask her to remove the feather ones .
My boyfriend took a shower and found the water pressure to be very low but the temperature was acceptable to him. I prefer a hotter shower but understand that many hotels are hesitant to raise the temperature for both safety and cost reasons. A housekeeper came by at 4.30 asking if we wanted turn down. I said that we were going to be in the room for another couple of hours but I would like some shower gel( the only bottle was used during the BF's shower). She said ok , gave me some and left. She was pleasant. I then prepared for dinner. I too found the water pressure to be very weak.

We went out to dinner and returned about 10. The lobby was a zoo. As other reviews have noted, the hotel is across from the Epicenter. There is a lot going on and a lot of noise. There was a jazz combo in the lobby. They were very loud and not very good,. We went to the bar for a drink and it was hard to have any conversation over the music. The evening bartender was very good but he expressed his frustration with the bar set up. He explained that he had asked management several times to change the way the register is set up etc as it is hard to work. He seemed very professional and I am surprised that they wouldn't take his suggestion as the bar did seem to be set up for only one person to work ast a time- not very efficient on a busy night.
We went to bed. I found the mattress very soft and uncomfortable but as that is a matter of preference I can't really complain.
Breakfast- either in room or in BLT was included with our rate. We decided to go down to BLT. The hostess did not say good morning, she did not ask if we prefered a table or booth- nothing. She picked up 2 menus said "2?" and led us to a table. That was the extent of her hostessing. The package included " an American breakfast". This it turns out is only 3 items on the menu and no other items ( even those less expensive aren't included). This was confusing to all parties ( we overhead another couple trying to get clarification from their waitress as well). The staff and customers all seemed to be a bit baffled about this. The food was ATROCIOUS. The toast was just bread ( honestly, it was a lot closer to stale bread than toast). The grits were runny and crunchy. We noticed that no one around us ate their grits. The waitress did not ask us anything other than if we were ready for the check. When she brought that she did ask what our day's plans were but honestly at that point it seemed like she was just trying to be friendly before we decided on a tip.
We went back to the room and prepared to check out. When we did check out ( at least 30 minutes later) the breakfast charge had not been put on our bill. The front desk explained that it would have to be added then removed. I said ok and waited while they called the restaurant to get the charge posted. This led to a lot of confusion - i.e. was juice a part of the breakfast, gratuity was/was not included etc. The clerk said that since it would take awhile they would email me my receipt. I received it the next day and was charged $8 for "breakfast overage". I am not sure if this was juice or the gratuity .
We retrieved the car from the valet. They were once again excellent and offered us bottled water for our drive. The valet and bellstaff were the highlights of the service.
We won't be back. It was twice as much as other Charlotte hotels and the room, while very nice was not twice as nice as the Hampton Inn South Park and the service was not half as good as most hotels.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nisajoy
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I need to preface this review by disclosing that prior to this stay, we had NEVER stayed in a five star hotel so we're not used to the level of service associated with such an establishment. With that said, we found the Ritz Carlton to be an outsanding hotel. My family and I were very pleased with our short stay.

The amenities at the Ritz Charlotte are abundant. The fitness center is incredibly comprehensive. The entire top floor is devoted to it. The fitness floor includes the aqua lounge (a pool, hot tub and plenty of lounge chairs), a cycling room - a room full of exercise bicycles, a room full of mats (yoga room, perhaps) and a large room with state-of-the-art cardio and strength training machines. There were lots of towels and robes to use after a dip in the pool or a vigorous workout.

I requested and paid for two adjoining basic rooms for my family of two adults and two girls. What I got was a large suite (parlor suite) and an adjoining deluxe room. Both rooms were fabulous.

The parlor suite included a foyer, powder room, living room marble bathroom and king bedroom. The deluxe room had two queen beds, a desk/sitting area and a marble bathroom.

The beds were luxurious with soft sheets and down comforters. The bathroom had a deep tub, spacious shower, a toilet stall with telephone and double sink area with a television embedded in the mirror.

The rooms had lots of little extras. Slippers, a sewing kit, bath beads, Qtips, mouthwash and all kinds of soaps, lotions and hair products. The desk area even had a stapler and paper clips. For entertainment, there was a DVD player, a CD player/iPod docking station and flat screen TVs in the living room, and bedrooms. There was also a white noise machine to assist with sleeping and a CD in the bedside CD player that had soothing sounds like a babbling brook, rain, etc.

The service to me was outstanding. Housekeeping made up our room in the evening for turn down service. I counted six people standing at the door in the lobby area to open the door, get your car, help with luggage, answer questions, etc. At check in, an employee stood in the lobby with sparkling wine. Someone else was working on ice cream cones with homemade cones.

The only negative that I can think of is that they charge $30/night for valet parking and $10/day for wireless internet. You may be lucky to get a AAA rate that includes parking. I think wireless is free in the lobby. We were on a high floor but still heard the noise from the night clubs across the street. The noise was not intrusive and we slept like babies

We found the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte to be the best place we ever stayed. The hotel offers extremely reasonable weekend rates considering the luxurious spacious rooms, endless amenities and fabulous service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family