All reviews blt bar cocoa lobby lounge double sinks bathroom mirror popovers steam room room service in room dining an executive suite quiet side beautiful hotel luxury hotel valet staff valet parking the entire staff fitness center
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

It was unscheduled visit, and due to the events in a city Marriott was sold out, and we ended up staying at The Ritz-Carlton (party of four). Due to the inconvenience of relocation I offered to pay for rooms of my colleagues. To my surprise, I was told that I couldn't do it. And each individual must pay for their own room with their own credit card. I have never came across of this ridiculous policy. Can you imagine how I felt in front of members in my party after I promised to pay for their rooms?!?

The music at the lobby was unbearable and I had to shout back and forth checking in. It took at least five minutes when one front office employee finally decided to come out of his desk to talk to me ( he couldn't hear anything that I was saying - music was overpowering it). Pretty sure, to other guests it appeared that I was yelling at the front office personnel. The calmness and gracisness were missing. I understand that hotel allows parties being organized for the guests but it should be booked elsewhere - like conference room not anywhere within the proximity of check-in desk.

The first impression failed to meet my expectations. But it was not over. When I got to my room - even though it was rather late in the evening hours, due to a long day I wanted to have a cup of coffee as I still had to do some work. But coffee pods were missing for "Nescafe" even though all other condiments were readily available. I had to call guest services to ask for it to be delivered. I was shocked that my name was not used when I called (shouldn't they know since I used the phone in the room?) Nor was I asked if anything else might be needed or at least to establish what type of coffee I desire (there are three different choices). The housekeeping arrived with coffee within allowed five minutes but when I opened the door I was rather taken by lack of presentation. It was given to me inside of paper coffee cup with one hand, and the person was partly facing me with her back - very disrespectful. There was no tray, no wooden chest to select from (I will settle for a simple presentation on a tray!) and yet again, my name was not used.

At first, I just thought that hotel has a lack of attention to the details to create an immaculate experience. But it just gotten worse. The coffee was all decaf except one regular. I do not drink decaffinated coffee! When someone asks for coffee - it means they want caffeine in it, if not - they will always, ALWAYS ask specifically for decaffeinated kind. It is a good thing I travel prepared and I had my own coffee and "Bialetti 500" to brew it. I did not feel comfortable calling the guest services again, especially no one ever called me back with the follow up to verify if all was to my satisfactory.

The room was facing an office building and I decided to close curtains to ensure the bright light doesn't enter my room but one of the curtains was not cooperating - I was not able to cover half of room's window, I decided not call for help as I truly wanted to have privacy in my room, having someone phycially coming into my rooom on my time was not on my agenda. I decided just let it go.

It was a weekend and it was loud, music was blasted outside and it was heard in the room - no escaping from it! I called guest services again just to find out that city allows noise till 2AM (my name was not used when I called with my inquiry nor the opportunity was taken to ask if I received coffee, even though it was the same voice on another line).

While preparing bed, I came across of black hair strand left behind. When I wanted to use a china cup one of them was dirty - with lots of cofee stains inside. At the desk, I noticed an enrollment membership card filled out by previous guest with all personal information being revealed (not even inside the cabinet but placed on the surface for housekeeping to see). Deciding what to order from rooom service I learned that there was no room service menu to choose from except breakfast option. the order menu was not available through TV either. I decided not to order anything since I didn't want to ask for anything from guest services at that point. After taking a shower, I noticed that one of the robes had coffee stains on it. No sleepers were provided in the room.

Otherwise, the room was spacious enough to feel like you were staying in a suite. Bathroom is spectacular the only minor flaw I did not like spraying faucets in the sink as water was all over because of it and a shower head perhaps needs a replacement - it has too much calcium buildup! A beautiful decor but worn out in some places. The location was just next to the elevators but surprisingly it didn't cause any disturbance. Usually, I always change a room as soon I learn of close proximity to the elevators.

Next day I did receive a courtesy call from guest services (not sure if my name was used, (I was told by another member in my party that his room was called and they asked for me, he informed the guest services that I was staying in a different room). It was a general call - no personality, no flair - obviously the remarks on my folio were not read or perhaps they were never entered upon checking in.

Overall, it was a failure of service : departments like housekeeping, guest relations - need additional training. Recommendations for the hotel - please, ensure that you inspect your rooms after housekeeping cleans them. Several flaws were found and it is not acceptable - not for five star property and most certainly it was not worth of $1668.83 for 22 hours of stay per room!

The good thing that billing was resolved during late morning hours. But it did take lots of effort and lots of energy being wasted but no one in my party had to pay for the stay as it was covered by my company's corporate account.

Extremely disappointed with the stay. Upon checking out, dropping my key off at the front desk, no one asked me how was it, nor my name was used. Basically, no one would give a damn.... Unless you are a regular guest which I wasn't!

Let see if customer service recovery fails too...

Stayed: September 2018, traveled on business
Jessica S, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear Lyudmila K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay and guest services. We are disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations. If you have a moment, Veda Payton, our Director of Operations, would like to speak with you in more detail. She can be reached at 704-547-2244 or at Veda.payton@ritzcarlton.com.

Reviewed September 1, 2018

As a Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier Member, I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels and have always been impressed with the Ritz-Carlton’s attention to detail and customer service. So much so, I have booked many group trips with clients in their excellent club level. When I travel personally, I also try to stay at their properties.

I have stayed at this property twice now, but it will probably be my last. I write this review at 3 am because there is so much noise outside my 14th floor room (1407) that I can not sleep! There are apparently some bars across the street which I can hear quite distinctly. That noise, coupled with constant noise from car horns, sirens, loud motorcycles, etc., make it impossible to sleep!

I’m not sure what the hotel could do to abate the noise and I would think that as an elite Marriott member that I was given one of the better room locations!

That’s too bad because every other feature of this property is excellent!

Room Tip: Not next to the street!
Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
Jessica S, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2018

Dear EVolFan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We are disappointed to hear that you experienced noise and that your stay did not meet your expectations. If you have a moment, Veda Payton, our Director of Operations, would like to speak with you in more detail. She can be reached at 704-547-2244 or at Veda.payton@ritzcarlton.com.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

Had the pleasure of staying at this Ritz-Carlton last weekend. I was a birthday surprise for my wife's birthday. We had an awesome time to say the least. The service and luxury were top notch. The location was excellent, many places to eat and shop. We definitely be returning soon. Hats off to a wonderful staff!!

Room Tip: Spring for a room with a view of Uptown Charlotte
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Jessica S, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2018

Dear Jeffrey B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review. We hope to welcome you and your wife to celebrate again next year.

Best,
Jessica

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

Just spent one night.
Beautiful room, with the most incredible bathroom.
Great bar in lobby.
Very expensive, a luxury treat.
Pleasant staff.
Newly renovated, although still undergoing renovations.
The club bar on 15th floor is closed until end of summer.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
Jessica S, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Dear Fourdogs2kids,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is just what I needed ! My girlfriend's and myself checked in 2 weeks ago for a weekend getaway. All the staff were super nice and very helpful! The spa on the 17th floor was fanomanal and the whole staff were excellent! Kudos to you ladies ! We will definitely be back !

Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
Jessica S, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2018

Dear Jamie F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review regarding your girls' weekend. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the spa, and we look forward to your next visit!

Best,