“Wonderful Room, Wonderful Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Ranked #18 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful Room, Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here for a week while travelling on business. The room was wonderful - particularly the luxurious bed and expansive bathroom. Service was also great - from check-in to check-out. Lastly, I appreciated the building's LEED NC certification and the opportunities that they have taken toward incorporating green practices into their building operations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Every review praising the appearance, staff, and amenities of this hotel are right, but nothing makes up for when your suite shares a wall with the B of A atrium party space! The designer and builder completely missed even basic soundproofing in Suite 518- and I can't imagine what the adjacent rooms must be like. Entire wall in the LR area shook until nearly midnight. The Epicenter across the street has been noted already by reviewers, so we made sure to have a room around the corner. But who knew one had to be above the 5 th floor to escape indoor noise? Nice special treat un- necessarily ruined by a significant design flaw that should be fixed. Ask for higher than 5, and away from Epicenter to enjoy an otherwise first rate operation.

Room Tip: Obtain a room above 5th floor, on back or sides of hotel- not Trade st. view......
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Honestreviewer056
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

In a city with otherwise mediocre hotel offerings, the Ritz Carlton Charlotte is in a league of their own. The rooms are well-appointed and the staff is well-trained. If business ever takes me to Charlotte, this is clearly my top pick.

The hotel does have its share of challenges, the front desk seemed often understaffed, the lobby bar has a limited menu and equally limited hours. The public space, though beautiful, can sometimes feel cramped.

I had several issues during my stay related to the thermostat and the internet. The good news is that they were quickly and efficiently resolved within minutes, the bad news is that they happened. But things do happen and I appreciated the attentive service.

It is great that the Ritz Carlton has spent time in recent years refreshing their image. But some old Ritz habits die hard. There is a policy that the TVs in the bar don't have the volume on. While I generally support the policy, the fact that the staff isn't positioned to use their own judgement, makes me laugh.

That said, it is a terrific property and I will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Columbia SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

My girlfriends and I met there for a one-night stay to celebrate our friendship, to bask in the luxury of all things Ritz-Carlton, to savor a few drinks and tasty food, and to enjoy watching some college football together. (Yes, we love our pigskin!) All missions were accomplished in a way that has set the bar higher than any other hotel we've visited together. When it came time to depart, we didn't want to check out.

Frankie checked me in at the front desk, and I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant, check in. He is the kind of employee any business would love to have -- exceedingly polite, friendly, smart, and efficient. I was impressed. I asked about paying a fee for an upgrade, and he quickly accommodated my request with a reasonable fee. I told him that my girlfriends and I were meeting in Charlotte to enjoy life, spend time together, and watch the football game that night on TV (and mentioned we wanted to see Virginia Tech win). I had a spa appointment to get things started, so he suggested he have someone deliver my bags to the suite so I could start enjoying the spa. Excellent plan, Frankie. :)

I had a deep tissue massage in the spa, and, quite simply, that rocked. The whole spa experience was exactly what I needed. There is a full body shower, at least one regular shower, some quiet areas, a steam room and a sauna room. The whole area was spotless, and the attendants were available when needed but not intrusive. (They weren't hovering around the spa area all the time (which can be awkward if one is partially dressed and/or make one feel rushed to leave), but there was always help at available at the very close-by front desk.) When I booked the appointment, the attendant had mistakenly left me on hold for a really long time, so when I checked in, she gave me a small gift to apologize (which was not needed but very kind of her to do). My friends and I met in the spa and spent a lot of time just chilling out, which we sorely needed. One of my friends also had a massage and gave it a thumbs up.

Next, I saw our room -- and, WOW, was it a room. It was the most beautiful hotel suite I've ever seen. It was incredibly spacious, with a separate bedroom (with two queen beds) and a large living room area. The decor was immaculate, with original artwork and beautiful furniture. The bathroom was huge and featured rich marble decor with a shower with a glass door, a tub, and a toilet room. My friends and I felt like celebrities -- it was that VIP. On the desk in the living room area was a bottle of complimentary champagne with a note from Frankie, wishing us well for a fun evening in the hotel and even a "Go Hokies" message. Now THAT is how a hotel rocks out the customer service. We felt cared for and important.

We tried to hit the Urban Sip, but it was closed due to a private party. I love that place, so it made me a little bummed that I couldn't share that experience with my friends (who had not been there before). But who could be disappointed in the Ritz when we were having the kind of experience we were having?

We ended up having drinks and some light food downstairs at the bar; it was a great scene for people watching and relaxing, and it was pretty hopping even for a weekday (it was Thursday night). The appetizer specials are reasonably priced. We watched the Hokies start the game on the TV at the bar, then went in the restaurant for dinner, where we could continue to watch the game and eat. The food there was quite good and service was excellent.

In fact, we had such a great experience at the hotel that we ended up staying there all night and not leaving the hotel at all. When it came time to crash, the suite was completely quiet and the beds were like little clouds of heaven -- an A+ sleeping experience.

Thank you to Frankie, the spa staff, and everyone else who made our visit truly exceptional. I hope my friends and I will be able to find the time to rendezvous there again soon. The Charlotte Ritz is the kind of place that truly offers an experience versus just "lodging," and that was exactly what we needed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank GamecockGirl
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

One expects a very good experience when staying at a Ritz Carlton and this hotel exceeds expectations. Since it is new construction a lot of careful thought has gone into room design and layout, such as his and hers closets. The bathroom is very spacious and very attractive.
This was our third visit to this hotel and we never have had an issue with noise (as mentioned in other reviews). On this visit we were not overlooking the street. The room comes with a sound machine which is somewhat unique. My wife and I always travel with a sound machine since noise can be an issue at many inner-city hotels.
The lobby bar can be very busy. A nice alternative is Urban Sips, a wine and scotch bar on the 15th floor. Service throughout the hotel is excellent. My one pet peeve with hotel (and most upscale hotels) is that I can stay at a Hilton Garden Inn at a quarter of the cost and get free internet but have to pay $9.95 daily at the Ritz.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TFB353
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

When it comes to luxury hotel, my preference is modern and elegant decoration, celebrity chef restaurant, swanky bar, well executed construction, thoughtful and sublime room details and features, guest service that makes you feel like a genuinely welcomed and esteemed guest.

And I would say Ritz Carlton in Charlotte meets all of my needs, the property achieves superb balance of classic and modern. I loved it! There was a lot to say about the modern, elegant and functional guest bath room, where I comfortably enjoyed a glass of pinot noir from room service, read my book in the perfectly deemed lighting (to my preference) while taking a lovely scented bath, and playing my favorite relaxation playlist on the ipod/iphone docker, and occasionally look up to see the latest news headline on TV in the bathroom mirror (muted).

The next morning, I enjoyed a good workout in the modern and equipped gym on the top floor while enjoying the view of Charlotte and a lovely swim in their very elegant and large pool.

The only complain is the noise from the Club/Lounge nearby can get pretty loud, the noise level depends on which area of the building you are in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Aquavit28
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

Our experience with most of hotel staff was great - valet to check-in staff were great. Lounge staff and management on the other hand were disorganized and were unhelpful. We were told a certain sports game would be played at the bar (which we requested earlier in the day) and we waited for 1.5 hours without any answer. We asked the manager and staff multiple times to give us an update and no one helped. Once we got a table (which is a hassle in itself as seating is first come first serve so you have to stay standing nearby to get a table or someone else will just come and sit down), no one came to give us an update regarding what was going on with the game....we were ignored until I went and complained to the general manager at which time someone came to our table and apologized for the "miscommunication". In my opininon there was no communication, we were completely ignored despite numerous attempts at clarification of what was going on. The hotel didnt have access to the game but left us standing waiting for a table for over an hour and then for another hour before anyone actually told us what was going on. Truly dissapointing for such a fabulous property. We could have just gone somewhere else instead of having my pregnant wife wait for a table and clarification from staff that night.

Overall, rooms are great but if you are facing the street it can get loud at night as their are many late night establishment right across the street from the hotel. Breakfast was good at the lounge in the morning and room staff was helpful, and professional. The few hours during one night at the lounge ruined our entire trip to this Ritz-Carlton property.

Room Tip: For queiter rooms, get rooms which are not on the main road on the same side as hotel entry.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business