“Amelie's Petite Tryon Street Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Amelie's French Bakery
Ranked #1 of 67 Dessert in Charlotte
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open 24|7|365 Our flagship location Charlotte's historic NoDa Arts District. Full selection of pastry, savory and coffee. Private event spaces available. Free wifi.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amelie's Petite Tryon Street Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I visited Amelie's Tryon Street location near the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art. My blueberry muffin had a cream cheese filling and was so yummy. Plus they had Sprecher gourmet cream sodas. I was a very happy patron!

• Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
North Carolina
“Not all it's cracked up to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Everyone - EVERYONE....raves about Amelie's. I've been here several times over the years so feel like I've given it a fair chance. My most recent visit was today. Let's break this down because my rating needs to be explained.
First what's great. The ambience and decor and the best things about Amelie's. There is nothing like it in Charlotte that I've ever heard about. It's decorated in "early and mid eclectic" and I do mean eclectic. Nothing matches, everything looks salvaged or made as an experiment, and it all works. It's great. THere are several rooms where you can sit and eat or work or whatever, and you can eat "outside" in the mall (which is nicer than it sounds) or outside by the parking lot (also nicer than it sounds). Decor and ambience get 5 stars.
That said, the food is truly, really, just average. Sorry, it is. The pastries look better than they taste. Yes I said that. Not that I haven't tried my fair share of them! Today we had both lunch AND pastries. My soup was very good and my open-face sandwich was also good, but neither were to die for. My friend, who knows her pastry, pronounced hers just "average" and commented several times how disappointed she was in it since everyone had told her what great food Amelie's has. Frankly I must agree. I am a good cook but I'm not too picky, and when I rate restaurants I tend to be relatively generous. So food gets 3 stars. And for a restaurant, since food trumps atmosphere in my mind, Amelie's gets 3 stars.
Let's also talk price. Since everyone spends so much time raving about Amelie's they can charge a bit more and they do that. I'm not complaining too much since I understand the economics of running a food establishment, but as an example $1.99 for one small filled cookie seems a bit steep to me. So does 6+ dollars for a bowl of vegetarian soup. So that too gets 3 stars.
All in all, a 3-star place.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank travelviapurple
“Work outing...... Everyone loved!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm not huge on desserts, but the 15 girls in my party all RAVED about how amazing the desserts were here! I got a coffee, which was good. I was impressed with the decor and feel an since everyone loved it so much I had to review how great it is! A must for a dessert lover

Coraopolis
“Wow! Wow! Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I read several reviews for Amelie's and had to see for myself. This is a must do if you are in Charlotte. We tried about ten different items over two visits in Oct. '13. The breakfasts are very good. You pick the bread, cheese & meat. The deserts are fantastic. We liked everything. The Napoleon was not as good as everything else. Coffee is wonderful, their own roast. I wish we could have tried one of the soups but couldn't eat another thing after breakfast and a few pastries.

Open 24/7. Very helpful staff.

• Visited October 2013
Blue Ridge, Georgia
“Bohemian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

There is an Amelies downtown, but the original is located in a lesser section of town (North Davidson in Noda). It has an eclectic customer base and a series of interconnecting rooms with lots of tables and chairs that are thrift store chic. The walls are decorated with all things "French". The pastry selection is large and tasty. The coffee is also good quality and declicious. Several people were internetting. We were staying down town so this was a 10 - 12 minutes drive that was a bit too far.

• Visited October 2013