“The Last (Cheese) Straw”

Amelie's French Bakery
Ranked #1 of 71 Dessert in Charlotte
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Open 24|7|365 Our flagship location Charlotte's historic NoDa Arts District. Full selection of pastry, savory and coffee. Private event spaces available. Free wifi.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“The Last (Cheese) Straw”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Today marked at least the third very bad customer service experience in what would otherwise be one of my favorite places in Charlotte. Well I've had enough of this crap! From rude cashiers to incompetent cooks, this place really needs to get it together.

Sure, the pastries are good, the coffee is OK and the atmosphere is quirky and cool. This is why there's always a ridiculously long line of people taking forever to make a selection from the deli case.

So here's my point: those of us not trying to desert as a meal should not have to wait for everyone standing in line at the pastry case to place our order. This is inefficient and just plain stupid. Once I noticed a cashier who was just standing there doing nothing as an indecisive herd was clogging up the line at the deli case. She was literally just waiting for someone to approach the counter. I asked if I could just order a cup of soup. "No!" she rudely exclaimed, "You have to wait in line like everyone else". Seriously? Paying for a cup of soup would have taken seconds. Why the hell should I have to get in line behind people who just want sweets? She could have easily accommodated me and would still have been waiting on the herd to come through once my transaction was complete (with tip). Plus, she didn't have to be mean about it.

A similar situation happened today, as one of the deli case people operated the register, then overlooked me as if I wasn't even there to help someone in the back of the line. Any restaurant, no matter how popular its become, should not treat people like they're just a number.

I need to say one more thing. A breakfast sandwich should ALWAYS have an egg on it. Otherwise, its not a breakfast sandwich, but just a regular sandwich. Also, a "French" bakery should be able to properly prepare an egg. The next time I get a breakfast sandwich with no egg, it's going somewhere they don't want it to be.

2 Thank Allen D

• Hebrew first
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Perfect!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We actually passed Amelia's up a couple of times...but when we discovered that Panera was closed that day..we went back...and oh my goodness....we were SO glad we did! We had the best coffees (I had a mocha) and chocolate pastries that were absolutely to die for!!!! I wish that I was staying in Charlotte longer after we discovered Amelia's...because I would have gone again and again!

Visited May 2013
Red Deer, Canada
“Great treats and coffee”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I made a point of stopping every day that I was in town. I tried different pastries and they were all delicious. Coffee is really fresh and good quality. Location is easy to find and it is just a small little place with limited seating but lots of lovely spots across the street.

• Visited April 2013
Winchester, Virginia, United States
“Expect a wait but it is worth it!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Granted, we visited on Mother's Day but it was crazy busy. We had croissant and baguette sandwiches which were fabulous, flaky and crusty respectively. Wonderful French press coffee also. The apricot fruit tart and and strawberry-pistachio croissant were wonderful sweets to end on. Do go. Eclectic atmosphere and seating goes way around in the back.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Whatta Bakery!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

They serve great sandwiches, awesome pastries and good coffee. I went there with family and friends and everyone had a wonderful time. We’ve tried their yummy chicken salad and roast beef sandwiches, both had croissant as bread which was a pleasant surprise! We also tried different French macaroons which were delightful. And we also had chocolate éclairs and caramel brownie both are good but the caramel brownie is just a little bit too sweet for my tooth. Overall, everything was great! Will be back soon!! :)