“Charlotte deserves this gem.”

Amelie's French Bakery
Ranked #1 of 71 Dessert in Charlotte
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Open 24|7|365 Our flagship location Charlotte's historic NoDa Arts District. Full selection of pastry, savory and coffee. Private event spaces available. Free wifi.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Charlotte deserves this gem.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The quality of this bakery is next to none in Charlotte. It's also a great people watching experiment. LOVE it. The double baked croissant is my guilty pleasure.

Visited October 2012

• Hebrew first
up state ny
“the guy who cant shoot streght !!!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

It seems that the person who wrote the review that did nothing but deride this "Amelies french bakery" has not b een out of town latley! When you walk in the door the place speaks volumes as to what it is, and the fresh bake goods as to the food,and the decorations are just simply on the money. Great latti, same from pastry.
As for the 24 hr. opening, just great,and to do this the owners have to realy put themselves out. I am sure this place has had some rough spots, as ALL restaurants do, you cant codem them without a second and third look. And I forgot to mention the value, good reasonable prices, funky may a bit slow here and there, but do not miss the place!!!

London, United Kingdom
“"too sexy for Milan, too sexy for New York and Japan"”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

That old 80's song pops into my head every time I walk into this place. It's so hip it hurts. It's been riding the wave for several years, based solely on being the only "French" cafe in town, not counting Cafe Monte, another faux French establishment. It's also located in a "very edgy" part of town, meaning there are non-white people on the streets.

All that said, it does make a nice change from the claustrophobic suburban paradise that is Charlotte. The coffee and pastries are nothing special. You'd think they were ambrosial given some of the reviews but you can get better at Whole Foods. Even so, I'd still make the drive, except for the abysmal service.

It can take them upwards of 30 minutes to make a sandwich. Heaven forbid that you should ask that your pastries be boxed, rather than crammed into a bag. Yes, you say, but it's a French bakery, doesn't the attitude go with it? Frankly, no. I've been to French patisseries, in France, in Quebec, in major US and European cities. I've yet to encounter the attitude I've experienced at Amelie's.

Go if you are bored out of your mind, as it is open 24/7, but don't make a special trip for the food. It really isn't that special.

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank jun3bug
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great homey atomosphere”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family went here on Christmas Day for an early dinner at the suggestion of my sister. It was the first time for me and I really liked the ecletic and cozy atmosphere. The restaurant is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. The place was bustling with patrons of all ages. You order at a counter and take a number and later the food arrives at your table. I got the chicken salad on crossiant and iced tea. We didn't have to wait very long for the meal. The crossiant was a nice size and piled high with chicken salad. The tea was fairly good, but was weak to me as I like more of a sweetened tea. We were in the back of the restaurant and I like the concept of different rooms to dine, as the noise level is kept to a minimum.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank borntotravel863
Newton
“A HIDDEN GEM!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Yum...chocolate eclairs, coconut macaroons, sea salt carmel brownies, chocolate croissants...do I have your attention now? This is a small description of many things this place has to offer. Not only can you get a French pastry, but they have a fabulous sandwich menu, coffees and espresso's. Oh, not to mention the luxurious hot chocolate made with ganache! Are you kididng me? LOL I cannot wait to go back. Go hungry you will not be disappointed with this place. Wi-fi ready with plenty of seating. Kick back and enjoy this place as it is open 24 hours a day!

Visited December 2012