“NOT YOUR AVERAGE DINER”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Big View Diner

Big View Diner
Ranked #6 of 68 Dessert in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Audrey Kell Road
Description: It's all about family. Big View was designed to make you feel right at home. Come casual, make yourselves comfortable! Big View always means big value. A classic diner menu with a full breakfast under $5. Menu items as low as $2.99. Almost nothing over $12. The kind of prices New York, Philly and Baltimore diners used to have, plus advantages they never had. Like gorgeous retro modern decor, food made by real chefs from all natural ingredients, vegetarian options, and a kids' menu with healthy choices. With your favorite classic diner dishes and comfort foods, Big View is a concept whose time has come...again! A classic diner menu with a full breakfast under $5. Menu items as low as $2.99. Almost nothing over $12. The kind of prices New York, Philly and Baltimore diners used to have, plus advantages they never had. Like gorgeous retro modern decor, food made by real chefs from all natural ingredients, vegetarian options, and a kids' menu with healthy choices.
NC
“NOT YOUR AVERAGE DINER”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

They call this a "diner" but it is more of a neighborhood restaurant (in my opinion). We have eaten here 4 or 5 times over the past couple of years and each time the experience has been the same, so I have to believe that what you see is what you get. Each time we have been met by a friendly hostess, seated promptly, have received prompt, friendly service and the food has been tasty and enjoyable. There is a large menu and whatever we have ordered, we have enjoyed. There is one menu item that we have particularly enjoyed. It is listed as "Thanksgiving Dinner" and it is just that. If you enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner; this is for you. Excellent burgers also. Enjoy!

Monroe, NC
“Better with each visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Late afternoon; greeted and seated immediately. New waitress, EXCEPTIONAL!!! She was just a happy person, made our meal more enjoyable. Had salad of spinach with goat cheese, walnuts and baked chicken on top. It was my friend's birthday celebration so ordered a great big piece of fudge cake. Oh my goodness -- will remember it as one of best I ever had. Reasonably priced, fantastic meal. Will go more often..

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Big View Diner - Revisited - Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

It has taken me a while to write this review. I almost didn't but, I know that I appreciate the honesty of other's reviews, so I needed to submit my re-review.

I absolutely LOVED this restaurant on our first visit. On our second visit, Nov 2012 (Election Day), we had a late lunch, early dinner after voting.

We obviously had the "C" team cooking and serving. Our food took over an hour to arrive and once it arrived I could tell by looking, it wasn't going to be the same as our first experience.
I ordered the same thing from my original visit, Steak Marsala. The steak was tough and the sauce was watery and did not have much flavor, the opposite of my first visit.

My husband ordered the fish and chips. The fish was fine but, the fries looked like they had been deep fried twice and were served to us cold.

The server didn't check back with us for about 15 minutes after our food arrived. When she did, I asked if we could get new fries. She said she would ask the kitchen and she didn't return.

We asked another server if she could find our waitress and get our check. We gave up on the fries; we were just ready to get home.

I could have asked for a manager but, I opted not to. In hindsight, I should have let them know then and there.

Bottom line, this may be a good restaurant...it is just inconsistent. After our last visit, I am just not sure I will take another chance.

• Visited November 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Big yummy portions, nice friendly atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner late one Sunday night in March. We had 7 in our group and the wait was minimal. Once we were seated our drink order was taken right away. The food took a little while to come out from the kitchen but understandable since it was busy. Our server offered us some bread which was fresh and warm. The salads arrived first - I ordered the cilantro dressing on the house salad and had my wife had creamy basil dressing on hers. Both were delicious. The entrees came shortly after and were worth every minute of the wait. The grilled mahi mahi was excellent and they were able to accommodate me when I asked for a different vegetable (broccoli) rather than what came with it (squash, zucchini). Our server was attentive, friendly and very prompt with the drink refills. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a large portion upscale diner-type atmosphere at a reasonable price. Save room for desert too - they have all kinds of cakes, cookies and other bakery items made onsite and available for purchase as dessert or for take home after your meal.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“good food with great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

this place really isn't a diner, but i love the art deco mixed-in diner decor it has going on. the menu is a bit overwhelming if you not sure what you are in the mood for when you walk into big view. the desserts are amazing while the rest of the menu is average. the waitstaff always appear to be happy to work there and provide great service.