“Fantastic food!”

Ranked #27 of 2,535 Restaurants in Charlotte
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen Tate Building at Phillips Place
Description: Cafe Monte is known for offering affordable, high quality French fare exquisitely prepared to order.Our classic French-country favorites, served all day, include fresh pastries, salads, sandwiches, quiches, and crepes. We also have a full breakfast menu.In addition, please enjoy our bistro service that features mussels, steak and pommes frites, rotisserie chicken, and other specialties served in a casual and comfortable European setting.Daily chef specials include fresh seafood and regional specialties from around the world. Cafe Monte is committed to using only the highest quality ingredients served fresh at an exceptional value for our customers. We make quality French food accessible to all. Bon Apetit!
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Great food, neat atmosphere! Was wonderful to talk to chef Ben who personally stopped by to ensure we liked our meal. Especially enjoyed mushroom pizza and mussels. Will definitely go back!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We live about 1.5 hrs away from Charlotte but after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to try Cafe Monte. Both if us are glad we did.

Cafe Monte is in a great location with upscale clothing stores that are worth going to.

I started my lunch with the smoke salmon, which was extremely good and plenty on the plate. My husband got the escargot in puff pastry. The escargot was good but the pastry took away from the escargot.

My husband got a caesar salad - ok but would have rather had shaved parmesan instead of grated. Really to much of the grated parmesan so it took away from the caesar salad.

Both of us had the Trout Amandine, which was delicious. We would definitely order this again.

My husband got the carrot cake, alittle dry for his and my taste. I got the cream brulee that was very tastey.

The only negative would be our server. He wasn't very attentive. I asked for the wine list and explained to him I like a very dry wine. He offered no suggestions. Usually a Sauvignon Blanc will work for me and they had 2 that were by the glass so I asked if I could try a small sampling of one. When it arrived and I tasted it, it was way too sweet for me!! When he finally came to our table to ask about the wine, which there was still wine in the glass, I told him I didn't like it at all. He never offered to help me with tasting another wine. After about 5/7 minutes of the server not returning to our table (he was at the bar area doing nothing) I went up to the bar and ask if there was a bartender I could speak to. That seem to tick him off, but to bad!! I told the bartender what had happen and my server piped in, which I told him you weren't very willing to help me with wine so please let me explain to the bartender what I would like. At that point he did back off. The bartender was extremely helpful so all ended well.

The other thing that surprised me was how big it was on the inside. After reading the tripadvisor reviews I expected it to be extremely small on the inside with very small tables and metal chairs. Maybe we got lucky but we were seated in the "second"( for lack of a better word) room at a 4 top right at the window. There was plenty of room and the chairs were comfortable. The restaurant is very nice on the inside. I would not have been happy with the outside because all tables look out to a parking lot - not a pleasant thing when you are paying the prices they charge.

We will return.

1  Thank johndh2011
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Church is over, our tummies rumbling and the next question is where to go for brunch? Someplace we have not been before and we even had a $10 coupon so we were ready pretty spring day and while they take Open Table reservations we just had to show up. Dining room and outside was busy but the nice bat areas were empty so we immediately say there. Nice thing about the bar is the super speedy service and the multiple conversations you can have with the waitstaff. Food was quicksand the palettes were tasty. Bread and jam were fabulous. Only downside for females is the single stall bathroom. Will definitely eat there again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We met friends here this trip and everyone had different things on their top notch menu. The French flare is pleasing and the food is unsurpassed.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I liked the atmosphere here, very cafe like. It was a bit crowded and noisy, but again cafe like. The food is French, and all looked good. I tried the trout and it was very good. If you are in the mood for lighter fare, I probably wouldn't come here, but if you want some thing more rich, it is a great bet.

Been to Cafe Monte? Share your experiences!